Darkvision: Don't forget the Disadvantage & limitations!

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
If that's your idea of a constructive houserule, sure.

I don't follow.

By the rules you (I'm assuming you're a human with no special vision) can either see perfectly, or not at all. It's called "day" and "night".

I would have thought you have no problems adjucating the game when a human PC is out adventuring in the day - in towns, forests and hills. There aren't any intermediate steps in human day vision.

Assuming you don't either - then that is exactly how it works for an Elf with low-light vision during the night. No changes.

I don't see why anyone would need intermediate steps. (If you really need them 3E offered distance penalties, though getting rid of them in 5E was a good thing).

---

As for underground, low-light vision does have the intermediate step: a torch provides 40 ft of bright light and then 40 ft of dim light. No changes. Just double each range.

If anything, it is Darkvision that lacks any intermediate step. It works for 60 ft and then - nothing.

---

But since you have such... special... requirements, maybe we just end our discussion. I'm not talking to you in private after all, and I'm reaching out to everyone that recognizes the OPs plight.

And my reply to anyone saying "remind them of the rule" is "maybe drop the rule instead, that's way simpler" :)

Umm, a constructive houserule? I don't recall any request of such by the OP. Just an observation by them that some people forget that a creature with darkvision has disadvantage on Perception checks in darkness, and that they didn't like the idea of them not having such a disadvantage because it seems too powerful. It really doesn't seem to be a request for any sort of rules change at all, actually. Simply an observation and a reminder that dungeons are more dangerous when you remember that a creature with darkvision has disadvantage on their Perception checks when in darkness.

As for the intermediate step I mention, it's really just the possibility that no matter what type of vision a creature has, there is some level of brightness that means they have disadvantage on Perception checks.

No, by the rules, I (a human) can see without penalty in bright light (day), with disadvantage (dim light), or not at all (darkness).

A creature with darkvision is with no penalty in bright or dim light, with disadvantage in darkness, and not at all in magical darkness.

With 3e/4e low-light vision, an elf sees in bright light, dim light as bright light, or not at all (darkness). Your 40 feet of bright light and 40 feet of dim light is just 80 feet of bright light to a creature. There is no dim light and no point where they suffer disadvantage due to the level of light. That's all.

Hey, I'm not saying everybody cares, nor to I feel compelled to make anybody care. Just pointing out that by design both normal and darkvision feature a level of brightness that imposes disadvantage on their Perception check. The 3e/4e design for low-light vision does not. Each group has to decide whether they care or not. Even in my expanded example I pointed out that most people (including us) don't care. We're just sticking with the 5e rules as is.

I wouldn't consider them "special" (or requirements), but then apparently I'm "ridiculous" and "stupid" too, and I'm sure some other things I've missed (not debating it, just thanking you for your observations).

I have different thoughts about how I'd address many rules, and point out that it's one of the best things about the game. That whatever aspects of the narrative nature of the game that matter to you, the rules will generally support.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Umm, a constructive houserule? I don't recall any request of such by the OP. Just an observation by them that some people forget that a creature with darkvision has disadvantage on Perception checks in darkness, and that they didn't like the idea of them not having such a disadvantage because it seems too powerful. It really doesn't seem to be a request for any sort of rules change at all, actually. Simply an observation and a reminder that dungeons are more dangerous when you remember that a creature with darkvision has disadvantage on their Perception checks when in darkness.

Another signed and framed example of Enworld being Enworld... I mean since when did it become deviant to post about house rules we use and found useful in place of a certain rule?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Another signed and framed example of Enworld being Enworld... I mean since when did it become deviant to post about house rules we use and found useful in place of a certain rule?

It's not, nor was that what I was saying.

I was responding to the comment "if that's your idea of a constructive houserule, sure" when I noted that the easiest solution was, in fact, to simply remind folks what the actual rule is.

I think it's very clear from my posts that I'm hugely in favor of house rules, and part of what makes the game D&D to me is that it is extremely flexible and that each group can, and should, make it their own, and I have provided a few options in that regard as well. I love to see what other folks do and don't do, and frequently modify our own rules specifically because of what's been discussed here.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
While aware of how Darkvision performs during play, we upped the ante by giving everyone without Darkvision the ability, after 10 minutes, to discern space and colour in anything other than total darkness and after 3 hours the ability to navigate their surroundings with no penalties, while combat and fine tool manipulation is at Disadvantage.

Races with Darkvision operate similarly, but adapt quicker, being able to discern space and colour after 1 minute and navigate their surroundings after 30 minutes and again suffering Disadvantage while in combat/attempting fine tool manipulation.

Finally, sudden exposure to bright light blinds anyone in the second stage of adjustment (after 3 hours for those races without Darkvision, 30 mins with) for 1 round.

Yes, its a level of complexity. Yes, its worked so far and adds a level of realism that we appreciate.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The original post:

Too many people including Critical Role's Matt Mercer (who is often used as an example of an excellent DM) by his own admission tend to forget the drawbacks of darkvision. Namely that perceptions rolls with Darkvision are at disadvantage. Which is huge when traipsing through a trap/creature infested dungeons.

Oh, most people remember the fact that it can only see things in black and white (and I suppose grey), but it also mimics Dim Light. Dim Light conditions impose disadvantage on perception checks which also means that it's -5 on PASSIVE perception scores that deal with sight.

The problem. I think the main problem is that by ignoring this, darkvision kicks the crap outta human sight even more than it should.

Edit: Yes, I know that it's still better than being blind. The point is that it's not normal vision in darkness. It's poor black & white vision in darkness that still comes with a Disadvantage.

Someone suggested the best way to address this is to remind the players of the rule.

You responded:

If that's your idea of a constructive houserule, sure.

I don't think the OP is asking for a houserule. He appears to be encouraging people to remember the rule about disadvantage.

Do you have any opinion on how to encourage people to better remember and use the disadvantage rule, rather than changing the topic to houserules?

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
This is all within the DMs (and the players') interpretations of the rules. For me it also goes back to 1e combined with "common sense."

In 1e, you couldn't read with infravision. Furthermore, dim light in 5e is sufficient enough to give you disadvantage on Perception checks (passive or active). So, consider the real world - how dim would the light have to be for you to have "disadvantage" on perception checks? Pretty dim. You'll also notice that things naturally become black and white (grayscale) under those conditions, and that you can't read either. So when you're trying to be stealthy and sneak around, but then want to read that scroll? That's an interesting situation. If nobody in the underdark uses light because they all have darkvision that allows them to see without light with no problem, why did drow evolve the ability to cast darkness? Most are probably never exposed to light at all. Ever.

The rules cover specific circumstances where die rolls that come up fairly frequently. In addition, 5e is designed to be simpler and more streamlined, and remove many things that some folks don't consider "fun." By that broad measure, [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] is right. There are a lot of people that don't want to worry about creatures (or, sorry, PCs) with darkvision having disadvantage.

To us, the biggest factor that makes darkness fun is the environment itself. If you've ever explored a cave in poor lighting conditions, it's quite a challenge. Even in our houses, where we "know" where everything is, becomes much more difficult to navigate in the dim light of night. But in a cave with uneven floors and all sorts of dangers, movement slows to a crawl without some sort of light. So the question of whether a creature with darkvision has disadvantage under total darkness is a big deal for us. I totally get that some folks don't want to deal with that aspect. But it's a return to form for those of us who still remember using "hide in shadows" instead of a Stealth check.

For Stealth checks themselves - you'd have a significant advantage in dim light if you're just standing still. But what if you're moving? Again, what if you're moving across uneven ground? Does that make a difference? Enough to impose disadvantage (or eliminate any advantage you have). It's harder to remain undetected when you keep saying, "ow!"s or accidentally kick a rock across the ground.

So the DM determines when passive Perception matters. Going down a 10' wide hallway of fitted stone built by dwarves? Not needed. A natural cave with an uneven floor and risks that can actually cause damage? Yes. When there's a trap to be detected? Of course.

We don't make constant checks, of course. But if everybody is moving at a slowed rate, since they can't see well, it's also a good reminder that you're at a disadvantage in this lighting. For walking into something? Not often, but if you're trying to flee, then sure. Or in the midst of combat when you roll a 1? That's a perfect time to remind them that they can't see that well. Make a Dexterity save to avoid falling prone as you trip on that stalagmite that you didn't notice.

My point is that whenever the rules impose disadvantage, it's a significant disadvantage, and it's a representation of how much a given circumstance impairs your ability to do something. And that impairment is always an issue under those circumstances, and the DM (and players) should take that into account at all times under those circumstances.
My common sense i would like to think has improved since 1e days, but certainly that is debateable.

First off, obviously any gm can house rule the vision and light rules to whatever degree they want - i did.

But there is a clear difference between "disadvantage" as a penalty and "disadvantage *and* require rolls for bunches of stuff that are automatic - no roll required."

What you seem to be suggesting is that not only should disadvantahe on rolled checks be applied but also a whole lot of other things require rolls to even attempt.

In combat, you gain disadvantage on attacks made while prone - what other not specified common sense from 1e penalties do you apply? Do they have to roll to successfully draw a weapon or ammo?

Or is the idea that disadvantage means more than the roll only applying to vision?

With infravision being its own thing in 5e, whether you could read with infravision in pre-5e has little sway.

I think its important to look at 5e itself when looking at the vision rules to get a handle on what dim light means.

"A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight."

I cannot apeak for everyone, but i think if GMs started telling folks the cannot read their maps (or need to pass disad check vs dc) in patchy fog or moderate foliage and supporting it as "common sense since 1e" there would be a lot of WTF responses.

Further do wn the RAW specifies dim light as shadows including "The soft light of twilight and dawn also counts as dim light." I say again telling someone they cant read (or need to pass disad check vs dc) their maps at dawn likely gets WTF responses.

Again, obviously, a gm can house rule special additional,penalties for DV
, or dim light or a broader general rule for "when you get disadvantage" for any game subject to only that game's agreed upon hpuse rule policy.

But that means its not the core rules at fault problem if problems arise out of that.

Asude: My personal disagreement with the RAW lighting vision is that it created serious problems to the point that folks did not forget it bit intentionally handwaved it for playability. That seemed to make darkvision more of a necessity to survive and lack of darkvision way too massively exploitable - due to such a preponderance of "darkness - blindness" in everyday cases.

That puts darkvision at mostly necessity and outdoors at night without it massively disadvantaged instead of simply making darkvision an advantage.

It should be fairly easy under RAW lighting for any human and halfling travellers or caravans to be easy pickins for DV enabled raiders unless its a "exceptionally brilliant full moon" for instance - barting rather significant magical assistance.
This kind of thing leads to what quite a few gms describe as more or less "does somebody have torch and their sheet?" dismissal of the situation altogether.

What i prefer to have are consistent and playable rules for the visiin and lighting.

Going the route of adding more severe penalties by house rule to the borderline edge case is going in the wrong direction to me. The more onerous you make even the dim lighting situations the more necessary you make darkvision or the more likely you make "we cannot go there cuz of vision problem" decisions and the more likely you make "shoot out the lights" an oppressively threatening potentally overwhelming option.

That way lies "only adventure on bright sunny days" madness.

5ekyu

Hero
The original post:

Someone suggested the best way to address this is to remind the players of the rule.

You responded:

I don't think the OP is asking for a houserule. He appears to be encouraging people to remember the rule about disadvantage.

Do you have any opinion on how to encourage people to better remember and use the disadvantage rule, rather than changing the topic to houserules?
Remembering rules is a lroblem beyond the vision. Have seen plenty of forgotten concentration checks and bless bonuses.

My mechanicsl counter-foil is to use pre-printed "circumstance cards" and to give one to a player when various conditions or situational effects apply, positive and negative.

So as GM i make sure to have the ones commonly needed or relevant to a planned encounter on hand.

If you use minis and grids, colored cotton balls are a time honored approach - can even color code circumstance cards to the balls but that can get problematic with multi-effects so likely just a red (problem), blue (boon) and white (mixed) ball to serve as reminder to check cards is good.

A gm could also use gray balls of cotton just tossed down on the map to represent lighting or vision- with circumstance cards out by the map sides.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
My common sense i would like to think has improved since 1e days, but certainly that is debateable.

First off, obviously any gm can house rule the vision and light rules to whatever degree they want - i did.

But there is a clear difference between "disadvantage" as a penalty and "disadvantage *and* require rolls for bunches of stuff that are automatic - no roll required."

What you seem to be suggesting is that not only should disadvantahe on rolled checks be applied but also a whole lot of other things require rolls to even attempt.

In combat, you gain disadvantage on attacks made while prone - what other not specified common sense from 1e penalties do you apply? Do they have to roll to successfully draw a weapon or ammo?
Or is the idea that disadvantage means more than the roll only applying to vision?

With infravision being its own thing in 5e, whether you could read with infravision in pre-5e has little sway.

I think its important to look at 5e itself when looking at the vision rules to get a handle on what dim light means.

"A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight."

I cannot apeak for everyone, but i think if GMs started telling folks the cannot read their maps (or need to pass disad check vs dc) in patchy fog or moderate foliage and supporting it as "common sense since 1e" there would be a lot of WTF responses.

Further do wn the RAW specifies dim light as shadows including "The soft light of twilight and dawn also counts as dim light." I say again telling someone they cant read (or need to pass disad check vs dc) their maps at dawn likely gets WTF responses.

Again, obviously, a gm can house rule special additional,penalties for DV
, or dim light or a broader general rule for "when you get disadvantage" for any game subject to only that game's agreed upon hpuse rule policy.

But that means its not the core rules at fault problem if problems arise out of that.

Asude: My personal disagreement with the RAW lighting vision is that it created serious problems to the point that folks did not forget it bit intentionally handwaved it for playability. That seemed to make darkvision more of a necessity to survive and lack of darkvision way too massively exploitable - due to such a preponderance of "darkness - blindness" in everyday cases.

That puts darkvision at mostly necessity and outdoors at night without it massively disadvantaged instead of simply making darkvision an advantage.

It should be fairly easy under RAW lighting for any human and halfling travellers or caravans to be easy pickins for DV enabled raiders unless its a "exceptionally brilliant full moon" for instance - barting rather significant magical assistance.
This kind of thing leads to what quite a few gms describe as more or less "does somebody have torch and their sheet?" dismissal of the situation altogether.

What i prefer to have are consistent and playable rules for the visiin and lighting.

Going the route of adding more severe penalties by house rule to the borderline edge case is going in the wrong direction to me. The more onerous you make even the dim lighting situations the more necessary you make darkvision or the more likely you make "we cannot go there cuz of vision problem" decisions and the more likely you make "shoot out the lights" an oppressively threatening potentally overwhelming option.

That way lies "only adventure on bright sunny days" madness.

“Dim light” due to patchy fog is different than the dim light of dawn and the dim light of a moonless night, etc., and not everything needs a rule.

To me “common sense” which could also be described as “table consensus” is what the table agrees to in terms of things that aren’t covered in the rules. So your table might differ than ours, but it’s consistency at your table that matters. At ours, darkvision isn’t sufficient to read by, nor is a starry night. In fog, it’s not a hindrance. Mostly because fog isn’t a hindrance due to it being dim light, it just has similar effects with regards to being able to clearly see beyond a certain distance.

I adjudicate such things on the fly based on what makes sense to me, based on research and experience, including experience as a DM and running many editions and RPGs. But if somebody at the table questions it, I’m happy to explain my reasoning, and the table can decide if that will be the ruling going forward or not. The entire purpose for the rules to us is to get out of the way as much as possible, and to help us determine what’s possible and whether something succeeds or not. We’ll agree pretty quickly on a decision in the moment, and discuss the final rule after the session, recognizing that the final adjudication may be different than this single instance.

People at night, whether today or in medical times, use light at night to do such things. They build fires because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. We expect they’ll do the same here. If that’s something you don’t care for or wand to hand wave, there’s no problem with that. Our characters generally act the same way that people have for thousands of years. And while ogres, dragons, goblins, or whatever may not have existed, they thought they did. It didn’t alter their use of fire and light at night.

Most of the time, we address the majority of these issues with passive scores and mitigating circumstances. So being knocked prone might have other impacts, although most of the time it’s not necessary to worry about anything else. If you’re knocked prone into thick mud or deep snow, on the other hand, then you might have to deal with other things. Our approach is to roll dice less and focus o. The characters and the narrative more.

It has little to do with 1e or other editions, other than to adjust rules to maintain in-game consistency in the campaign that has been ongoing. The common sense aspect has to do with the here and now. If something doesn’t make sense to us now, then it doesn’t really matter what we decided 20 years ago. There are plenty of things that we have changed over the years.

So yes, we allow for much greater variety of effects and impacts than simply consulting a rule that says, “this is what happens.” If you are knocked prone into 6” of water, the whole situation is going to play out quite differently than falling on a bare stone floor. To start with, you’re likely to be grappled in an attempt to drown you.

And as far as I’m concerned, there’s very little that is automatic, no roll required. However, the majority of that is taken care of by passive scores, and unless the circumstances are significant enough, even disadvantage is usually not enough to alter the results, and thus eliminate the need for a roll. For example, you don’t typically need to worry about being able to stand. But if you’re on a ship that is struck by a large wave? That changes things.

We like the way vision works in our campaign because it makes sense to us. Right now it works pretty much as 5e describes, with a carryover from our long-running campaign that you can’t read by it. If you have disadvantage on Perception due to lack of light (not because of any other source of obscured vision) you can’t read.

We’ve been happy with that interpretation from the ‘70s and see no need to change it now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other games that do the same. I’m sure there are many that don’t. Probably most at this point, because it hasn’t been a part of the rules since 3e. So why would they if they’ve never played earlier editions? That doesn’t really have any bearing on us. What doesn’t make sense to us is that the elf suddenly sees differently because there’s a new edition released. Abilities suddenly changing due to a new edition was a running gag in Order of the Stick for a while.

5ekyu

Hero
“Dim light” due to patchy fog is different than the dim light of dawn and the dim light of a moonless night, etc., and not everything needs a rule.

To me “common sense” which could also be described as “table consensus” is what the table agrees to in terms of things that aren’t covered in the rules. So your table might differ than ours, but it’s consistency at your table that matters. At ours, darkvision isn’t sufficient to read by, nor is a starry night. In fog, it’s not a hindrance. Mostly because fog isn’t a hindrance due to it being dim light, it just has similar effects with regards to being able to clearly see beyond a certain distance.

I adjudicate such things on the fly based on what makes sense to me, based on research and experience, including experience as a DM and running many editions and RPGs. But if somebody at the table questions it, I’m happy to explain my reasoning, and the table can decide if that will be the ruling going forward or not. The entire purpose for the rules to us is to get out of the way as much as possible, and to help us determine what’s possible and whether something succeeds or not. We’ll agree pretty quickly on a decision in the moment, and discuss the final rule after the session, recognizing that the final adjudication may be different than this single instance.

People at night, whether today or in medical times, use light at night to do such things. They build fires because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. We expect they’ll do the same here. If that’s something you don’t care for or wand to hand wave, there’s no problem with that. Our characters generally act the same way that people have for thousands of years. And while ogres, dragons, goblins, or whatever may not have existed, they thought they did. It didn’t alter their use of fire and light at night.

Most of the time, we address the majority of these issues with passive scores and mitigating circumstances. So being knocked prone might have other impacts, although most of the time it’s not necessary to worry about anything else. If you’re knocked prone into thick mud or deep snow, on the other hand, then you might have to deal with other things. Our approach is to roll dice less and focus o. The characters and the narrative more.

It has little to do with 1e or other editions, other than to adjust rules to maintain in-game consistency in the campaign that has been ongoing. The common sense aspect has to do with the here and now. If something doesn’t make sense to us now, then it doesn’t really matter what we decided 20 years ago. There are plenty of things that we have changed over the years.

So yes, we allow for much greater variety of effects and impacts than simply consulting a rule that says, “this is what happens.” If you are knocked prone into 6” of water, the whole situation is going to play out quite differently than falling on a bare stone floor. To start with, you’re likely to be grappled in an attempt to drown you.

And as far as I’m concerned, there’s very little that is automatic, no roll required. However, the majority of that is taken care of by passive scores, and unless the circumstances are significant enough, even disadvantage is usually not enough to alter the results, and thus eliminate the need for a roll. For example, you don’t typically need to worry about being able to stand. But if you’re on a ship that is struck by a large wave? That changes things.

We like the way vision works in our campaign because it makes sense to us. Right now it works pretty much as 5e describes, with a carryover from our long-running campaign that you can’t read by it. If you have disadvantage on Perception due to lack of light (not because of any other source of obscured vision) you can’t read.

We’ve been happy with that interpretation from the ‘70s and see no need to change it now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other games that do the same. I’m sure there are many that don’t. Probably most at this point, because it hasn’t been a part of the rules since 3e. So why would they if they’ve never played earlier editions? That doesn’t really have any bearing on us. What doesn’t make sense to us is that the elf suddenly sees differently because there’s a new edition released. Abilities suddenly changing due to a new edition was a running gag in Order of the Stick for a while.
Ok so now i see more clearly...

As i stated in the post where i started the response on the disadvantage means read problems etc - if that was referting to house rules them my response was void.

Your reply "This is all within the DMs (and the players') interpretations of the rules." Led me to further believe you were referting to the 5e rules not house rules.

From your response here, more detailed, its obvious what you are referring to as "interpretation of the rules" are basically house rules even possibly ad hoc house rules.

I myself house ruled the light and vision in 5e to give what me and my players found more satisfactory play.

I believe we may agree on one aspect, the basic 5e core lighting rules without "house rules" or significant "re-imaginging" dont lead to the more commonly expected setting element where travel and being outside at night is risky but not suicidal.

We do have sone differing opinions on auto-success but thats a different thread topic.

I really did like the 3.0 concealment rules. Everything from 10% miss chance up to 50% for toral concealment. Stralit night mighht be 40%.

Now that i don't want to change the rules I assume total darkness is not pitch black in most cases but rather so little light that you can't discern anything more than a few feet away from you. So you can still navigate in a starlit night with total darkness around you. Your human eyes are powerful tools. In effect it is like darkvision as you indeed only see black and white in those conditions not being able to discern many details. Darkvision just allows to work under no light at all even in pitch black conditions you might find in underdark surroundings and work up to a range of 60ft so well that it negates disadvantage on attack rolls.

Remove ads