• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dave Arneson Death Confirmed

William Ronald

Explorer
Rest in peace, Dave Arneson.

You leave behind a new hobby, that has brought many people together and provided years of fun. You have helped people forge new friendships and bring joy into a world that needs it.

Thank you for your work and your life. May you rest in peace and may all who mourn be comforted in their time of grief.

Sad, sad news.

Dave Arneson was the only one of the "original" TSR folks I actually personally met. He was friendly, intelligent and articulate. He gave me advise about getting started in RPG writing, advise that I (regretfully) never followed.

He will be missed.

Rest in Peace, Dave, and thank you!

JLXC

First Post
I also had the pleasure many years ago to have one afternoon at a hobby shop for an "open" game to "test some new things." If I knew who he was at the time, I would have said so much more. Still, we clicked, and I remember him saying "You're the only one who lived, because you used your head." It was just some seemingly wise older guy (to me at the time) and I really cared that he said that. In years to come it's meant a lot more.

Thanks Dave, I've been DMing for over two decades because of you and Gary.

My condolences to the family, and friends, and all the rest of the world.

Whisper72

Explorer
Although I never met him (nor Gary for that matter), he is one of the two great giants who started this thing. It feels as if both 'Creater Gods' have passed and we now enter a new era.

It is a sad day indeed. Dave, rest in peace and my sincerest thanks for (co)creating this wonderful game of boundless creativity and fun without end.

You _will_ be missed...

Phaezen

Adventurer
Dave, never got to meet you and thank you in person but,

Thanks for the game
Thanks for the Friends I have made over the years
Thanks for the cliffhangers
Thanks for the fun
Thanks for the memories
Thanks for the groans of seeing that dreaded 1 come up
Thanks for the elation of seeing that 20 come up
THanks for the Phrase Roll for initiative
Just, Thank You.

Phaezen

The Levitator

First Post
Thanks Dave, for helping to bring a great hobby to the world. Thanks for being a part of helping me get through my awkward teen years. Thanks for giving me an avenue to both express my creativity and make new and lasting friends. Thanks for giving me a way to move to a new city 1900 miles from home and find like-minded people with whom I can role play with and become friends with, making my relocation much easier.

Thank you.

Remove ads