• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daywalker

erik_the_guy

First Post
Oh, I just noticed. Encounter powers should not allow you to heal without using surges. Your blood drain attack should either say:

Hit: "blah blah blah" and you may spend a healing surge.

or

Hit: "blah blah blah" and gain temporary hit points equal to your surge value.

or

Hit: "blah blah blah" and gain temporary hit points equal to damage dealt"

For an attack that deals damage AND allows you to spend a surge, this compares to the level 1 daily fighter ability. It is already pretty powerful, so I don't think the +4 to hit against a bloodied opponent is balanced. Instead, I have an idea for the Daywalkers 3rd racial ability.

Bloodlust: When you spend an action point, you gain a +4 bonus to all attacks made against bloodied opponents until the beginning of your next turn.

Also, for the feat that talks about using blood drain against a grabbed target, how about making it an automatic hit. I think it is balanced compared to some monsters skills which allow them to automatically deal damage to grabbed targets (making the grab in the first place requires an attack roll anyways).

clark411

First Post
It just seems like way too much neck sucking to me to have this be an encounter power... but I don't know about Racial Daily powers. Traditional vampires feed what... nightly? These 'freed spawn' who suffer none of their drawbacks might, on a heroic bender, chow down six or more times in the span of a few hours.

Have you considered requiring the character to grab the target?

zaxzilla

First Post
A requirement for blooddrain could be a target grabbed, dazed, stunned or unconscious. it would probably need to be a creature with the natural subtype. Your gonna blooddrain an Ooze or a Warforged or a Skeleton? I really like this idea but a lot of details have to be considered for it to be implemented.

What about vulnerability to radiant damage?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
When I though t up the race I had 3 feature to be their base features.
A weak blood drain
A minor domination, charm, will, or gaze effect or attack
Necrotic resistance

Then all the stronger and fringe powers like jumping and claws were handled by feats. I wanted the major vampirism to be optional since mostly evil daywalkers would take them and become more of a vampire. Daywalker adventurers would be simply strong humans who drink blood occasionally in battle and don't fear the undead's damage. Many would be be clerics and paladins trying to strip the last of their curse away. Some would be Blade-like undead slaying fighters or rangers of the Raven Queen. But there would always be that one guy who got mad when some heroes cured him without his permission and wants to be a vampire again.

Restricing the power to things with blood would be too much wording for a racial power. That's why blood drain was originally basic attack smack a bloodied guy and lick the blood spray off your weapon.

I added the +4 to attack make up for no magic or proficiency bonus.

generalhenry

First Post
Encounter powers should not allow you to heal without using surges.

why not? The bag of rats rule prevent most abuse.

+5 to poison and necrotic saves?

+2, it's mostly a flavor thing.

who suffer none of their drawbacks might, on a heroic bender

I don't see heroes doing a bit more as a problem, they're heroes.

What about vulnerability to radiant damage?

racial weaknesses are a no no. The only 'weakness' that exists is small size.

Your gonna blooddrain an Ooze or a Warforged or a Skeleton?

.. yes. omg wtf? well... it works for the same reason you can bloody them. Balance. Just think of it as draining energy rather than draining fluid.

erik_the_guy

First Post
Oh, I see, +4 against bloodied instead of the +2 proficiency bonus, seems balanced. Also the necrotic resistance and current skill bonuses seem balanced and make sense (+2 diplomacy because they used to have domination powers, +2 athletics because they used to have super strength and such).

The damage from blood drain should increase to 2d8 at 21st level. Also, I would add that the Daywalker can use it against a freshly slain enemy to gain the healing benefit.

I'm sorry, but I still think that drain blood should allow you to spend a healing surge. Allowing the creature to regain hit points without spending one should be reserved for daily powers. It's not that I'm that worried about characters getting unlimited healing, I just think its balanced.

Another suggestion for a 3rd Daywalker feature
Vampire Recovery: Whenever you spend a healing surge you gain regeneration 1 as long as you are bloodied. This regeneration ends if you are not in combat or you are exposed to direct sunlight. This amount increases to 2 at 11th level and 3 at 21st level.
A bit of regeneration just like a vampire has, but harder to use and less powerful. Weaker than the regeneration granted by most powers, definitely not game breaking.

See how this would gain a synergy advantage with blood drain if you changed it to a healing surge.

zaxzilla

First Post
Blood Drain-- Daywalker Racial Power
You gaze into your enemy's eyes and sink your teeth into his neck.
Encounter <> Weapon
Standard Action -- Melee

Target: One creature with natural subtype
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d8 + Strength Damage and regain hit points as if you had used a healing surge.
Special: If the target is bloodied, you gain a +4 bonus to your attack roll.

That's all you have to do to make this power only work against creatures that could feasibly have their blood sucked. Not a lot of wording required.

Remove ads