DDI VT Beta thread

Dungeoneer

First Post
I don't know if someone has linked to this already but there are a couple of vids of the VTT at-

Video: in-depth overview of the D&D Virtual Table beta

Cheers goonalan
Thanks!

Watching this, my big concern is keystrokes. As someone who DMs using third party encounter software on their laptop, I can tell you that you're going to resent every extra keystroke it takes to lower someone's HP or set a status on them.

Even if you don't have to do it for your players you have to do it for the monsters. Over and over again. Every. Single. Turn.

They need to give those repetitive actions hot keys or their own quick menu.

The Little Raven

First Post
Currently, you are limited to the choices in the tool. There are a fair number of map tiles to build maps, but the monsters and players currently choose from the same fairly limited set of tokens. (I am willing to give this a pass as it is in beta right now)

Would you say that the dungeon tiles reflect the recent Master Set? I'm curious as to whether my back library of Dungeon Tiles would make switching between VT and normal TT more difficult.

Also, it looks like the tokens in the screenshots are from the DM's Kit. Do you know if there are any from the Monster Vault yet (I assume new tokens will be added over time)?

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Would you say that the dungeon tiles reflect the recent Master Set? I'm curious as to whether my back library of Dungeon Tiles would make switching between VT and normal TT more difficult.

Also, it looks like the tokens in the screenshots are from the DM's Kit. Do you know if there are any from the Monster Vault yet (I assume new tokens will be added over time)?

Unfortunately, I do not have either of those two sets, so I couldn't tell you.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
The always awesome davethegame from critical hits offers some info as well..

link
DaveTheGame at the link above said:
One surprise is that the Virtual Table contains built-in voice chat by everyone joined. Even more surprising? There’s a list of voice changers you can activate to change your voice. Some of them work really well, and some are just plain hilarious. It seemed to lower the volume when one of the voice-changers was active, but I was surprised at how well they worked.

Okay, being able to make my voice sound like that of an orc would be nice; but what about non-combat stuff? Do they have voice fonts for blowhards that would make my voice sound like that of W.C. Fields, Oliver Hardy, Andy Devine, Bob Hope, or Slim Pickens? (Because, you know, sometimes you want to play a memorable but undeservedly confident character.)
(If the tool already contains those voice fonts, Yay. I can't see from here, because I'm not a betalyzer; but I would doubt they'ld include them in the beta.)

(Edit: Forgot Gabby Hayes. He'd be good, too.)

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
The beta seemed to run really slow on those youtube links: Is it normally that slow or was it just the compression/recording?

Truename

First Post
The beta seemed to run really slow on those youtube links: Is it normally that slow or was it just the compression/recording?

I'd guess the recording. The mouse pointer was very choppy, and there was a second-or-so sync delay between the audio and video. Looks like it was produced with Camtasia Studio, which I've found to be mediocre at best.

Remove ads