DDI VT Beta thread

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Turns out I can't access from work for whatever reason as it booted up no problem here. Maybe a firewall? I can access the new CB though from there :shrug:
I would think that it is a firewall, I got a dialog from my firewall to allow data through for the VTT but I do not remember a similar dialog from the CB. The VTT runs on a specific port but the CB may run on standard ports.

Naszir

First Post
I had a few moments to play around with this last night. Let me preface that I have used Fantasy Grounds for the past three to four years. So I'm a little biased/spoiled by what I am already able to do through that virtual table.

Here are few initial thoughts:

** The drag and drop of the tiles and the snapping to the grid is nice.
** The Notes section looks simple and effective. Hopefully it is easy to organize.
** I tried to import a map and didn't have any success.
** The assigning of tokens was easy.
** I loved the ability to attach conditions to characters/creatures and then have them show up when you hover over the token.
** Line of sight was a nice tool.
** I didn't get to use the voice tool but I can see that as a nice touch if it is used properly.

What I would love to have implemented:

** A combat tracker. Fantasy Grounds has this. A combat tracker shows all the relevant combat info (initiative, defenses, hit points, all conditions on the character, etc.)
** A targeting system. Again Fantasy Grounds has this. If I am a character I should be able to target a creature, then click on a power, click on the attack roll and have that attack roll automatically recognize the creature being attacked and the defense being targeted. This is a great time saver.

I wish I knew if WotC ever tried to talk to the guys at Fantasy Grounds about somehow working with them. I believe there are only a few guys who actually do the programing and what they have done has been impressive. So much of what WotC is trying to do with the GameTable has already been done with 4e support by Fantasy Grounds. Unless WotC can match what Fantasy Grounds already does and offer some additional things on top of that this could be tough sell.

Last edited:

Stoat

Adventurer
I would think that it is a firewall, I got a dialog from my firewall to allow data through for the VTT but I do not remember a similar dialog from the CB. The VTT runs on a specific port but the CB may run on standard ports.

I've had to cancel several games in the last year when I was traveling and couldn't host my regular game because of hotel firewalls (d20 Pro requires me to forward a port to allow my players access to the game, and no hotel will let me do that).

Would I have the same problem with WotC's VTT?

MarauderX

Explorer
I'm part of Team Beta, and I've run a game and sat in on two. Thus far, it seems like getting the players familiar with things is a hurdle (just like any other virtual tabletop), but once past that things run pretty well.

Currently the VT holds its own against its competitors. It has a lot of options for configurations, and nearly everything has a right-click menu to help with creating & running a game.

There are missing components to the VT, the most notable of which is the lack of links to the character builder and compendium to pull in characters and monsters respectively. I've added 34 comments in the feedback thread, but mostly they are about adding & improving features. Thus far there haven't been any bugs, stutters, failures, or speed issues.

See the attached for a screen shot of the interior of the VT. Keep in mind that it has an azure overlay due to the majority of the map being invisible to the players.

Attachments

• VT 2010-12-01.jpg
    VT 2010-12-01.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 112

MarauderX

Explorer
I'm not sure if anyone answered this yet...
Do they have voice fonts for blowhards that would make my voice sound like that of W.C. Fields, Oliver Hardy, Andy Devine, Bob Hope, or Slim Pickens? (Because, you know, sometimes you want to play a memorable but undeservedly confident character.)
(If the tool already contains those voice fonts, Yay. I can't see from here, because I'm not a betalyzer; but I would doubt they'ld include them in the beta.)

(Edit: Forgot Gabby Hayes. He'd be good, too.)

Current voices: Deep, elf, orc, male to female old, female to male, VH talking through helmet, VH demon man, male to female old2, and male to female.

Plus you can configure the sound levels of others at the table too. The configuration has a push to talk feature so you can munch on soy chips without being annoying.

Dausuul

Legend
Current voices: Deep, elf, orc, male to female old, female to male, VH talking through helmet, VH demon man, male to female old2, and male to female.

Plus you can configure the sound levels of others at the table too. The configuration has a push to talk feature so you can munch on soy chips without being annoying.

Very nice. The voice changer would be a huge plus for me--as a DM, I would love to be able to do dialogue for female NPCs in a convincing female voice, dragons in a deep rumbling thundery voice, and so on. My natural voice only has so much range, and no reverb dial.

Is there a way to listen to playback of your own voice so you know what you sound like? Also, is there anything to indicate who's currently talking? If everybody's using the voice changer, it could get confusing...

MarauderX

Explorer
Very nice. The voice changer would be a huge plus for me--as a DM, I would love to be able to do dialogue for female NPCs in a convincing female voice, dragons in a deep rumbling thundery voice, and so on. My natural voice only has so much range, and no reverb dial.

Is there a way to listen to playback of your own voice so you know what you sound like? Also, is there anything to indicate who's currently talking? If everybody's using the voice changer, it could get confusing...

Using Deep as a DM fits nicely with cackling evily. There isn't a playback of your voice (feedback issues to be sure), but it's easy enough to just ask others to goof around with it a bit. Whenever someone is talking a speaker light turns green next to their name so you can see who is screaming for mercy with a squeaky elf voice. It's easier to follow than MMO action games, but with anything where you can't see the other person for visual clues sometimes there is some cross-talk.

Remove ads