• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDM as an RPG?

scourger

Explorer
Has anyone used DDM as an RPG? I am intrigued by it as the DDM stats are about as much complexity as I want for most foes in combat. Using the DDM system for an RPG would be great for me as a DM. I would be more free to develop the story without getting mired in the math. I am just not sure it presents enough complexity or options for the players. I have considered just using my D&D minis with the DDM stats as foes matched against the player characters statted up according to the RPG (likely 3.5). But, then I am concerned that the PCs will be too powerful in comparison.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Or, does anyone have any tips or resources I might use or consult?

Thanks.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Has anyone used DDM as an RPG? I am intrigued by it as the DDM stats are about as much complexity as I want for most foes in combat. Using the DDM system for an RPG would be great for me as a DM. I would be more free to develop the story without getting mired in the math. I am just not sure it presents enough complexity or options for the players. I have considered just using my D&D minis with the DDM stats as foes matched against the player characters statted up according to the RPG (likely 3.5). But, then I am concerned that the PCs will be too powerful in comparison.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Or, does anyone have any tips or resources I might use or consult?

Thanks.

I haven't done this with DDM, but I have done this with Chainmail, plus the Fantasy Supplement and also with a few other wargames (notably Battlelust for Harn and Blood n' Grit).

scourger

Explorer
Very cool. I like that "Blood n' Grit" has rules for character advancement. That is the piece that is missing from DDM, as far as I can tell. Anyone have any advancement rules for DDM? Is that in the Miniatures Handbook?

JohnnyQuest

First Post
I've used DDM skirmish stats in RPG quite often. In some instances, I've used the skirmish stats for a particular creature, and I found that it worked out fine. My players aren't at all the rules-lawyer type, though, and we really focus on story in our RPG. So, my main role in adjudicating combat is to create an exciting battle, and I feel free to fudge the numbers when necessary.

In other instances, I've used DDM skirmish stats to create mass battles. For example, in one of my campaigns, I used the githyanki invasion storyline from Dragon/Dungeon. When the githyanki hit Baldur's Gate, my PCs became squadron commanders. I created skirmish stats for their characters, filled out their 'warbands' appropriately, and pitted them against an army of gith invaders. Good times.

The Miniatures Handbook does have some guidelines for converting RPG characters to skirmish, but it's outdated. I think that looking at similar level minis works just as well to give you an idea of attack bonuses, damage, etc. From there, it's a matter of simplifying some of the powers. The latest skirmish Battle Rules align very well with 4E, so I think it's pretty doable.

Finally, I suggest you check out the first two installments in our monthly scenarios. I think they really help to bridge RPG and skirmish.

http://ddmguild.com/articles/article.php?article_id=35
http://ddmguild.com/articles/article.php?article_id=38

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The Miniatures Handbook does have some guidelines for converting RPG characters to skirmish, but it's outdated. I think that looking at similar level minis works just as well to give you an idea of attack bonuses, damage, etc. From there, it's a matter of simplifying some of the powers. The latest skirmish Battle Rules align very well with 4E, so I think it's pretty doable.

The Miniatures Handbook also has its own rules for figure advancement on page 112, in the section on skirmish campaigns, though they're based on winning a round as opposed to XP accumulation.

Remove ads