• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDM Scale: 3E v. 4E minis

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm considering buying some Dungeons of Dread boosters, but I'd like to be able to use the minis with my minis bought before the DDM Rules Overhaul. Is the scale of the new minis the same as those released before the rules changeover?

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
newer figs tend to be a head or so taller. Still usable all around. The dwarves do look a bit too big but mediums are still on 1" bases.

Large creatures used to be mounted on 1.5" / 40mm bases, though now they are on 2" / 50MM bases. SO you do get more monster in each monster mini usually.

CountPopeula

First Post
I don't think they're so much in a different scale as they're subject to scale creep. Kind of the way all the Warhammer 40K minis are the same scale, even though the current ones are about 5mm taller than the first batches.

frankthedm

First Post
also some of the dwarves are really big and really ugly, mithral hall guard is one of the worst dwarf DDM ever and the duegar slaver is pretty arse too.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm considering buying some Dungeons of Dread boosters, but I'd like to be able to use the minis with my minis bought before the DDM Rules Overhaul. Is the scale of the new minis the same as those released before the rules changeover?

Mostly, yes. You get occasional figures that have scale creep, and the larger figures (e.g. Fire Giant) have had scale problems for a while now, but in general they're fine.

Dwarves and Halflings may be a little taller, but it's not too much of a change.

Cheers!

Asmor

First Post
also some of the dwarves are really big and really ugly, mithral hall guard is one of the worst dwarf DDM ever and the duegar slaver is pretty arse too.

It's actually Guard of Mithral Hall, but yeah... Absolutely terrible mini. On the verge of unusable. For those who haven't seen it, here are some pics of it. It's about as tall as a human mini and takes up almost the entire 1" base.

It's the exception, though. By and large you'll not have any problems with scale.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
I had also noticed the halflings from the last couple of sets being a little taller. Which is appropriate, as 4E halflings are somewhat taller than 3E ones.

The size of halfling DDM miniatures seemed to continually vary from set to set.

There's IIRC two Lidda miniatures - one of which could pass for a human, and the other is undeniably a demihuman.

Remove ads