• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDXP 2010 News and Updates

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
yes, I agree but, someone ask 'em about SPELLJAMMER!!!! :p

Ditto with Dragonlance.

We've heard some talk that DL might be the setting for 2012, but nothing definite.

Also, could somebody please ask about half-giants in Dark Sun? I think my head will explode if I don't know...

*blam!*

Clean-up on aisle 4!

Markn

First Post
I can tell you I'm pretty pissed about the news that they are doing Very Rares in the mini sets. I stopped collecting Star Wars minis for this reason, and may very well choose to stop buying D&D minis.

Very Rares are nothing but a money grab!:rant:

hexgrid

Explorer
Not to immidiately jump on it, but...well, aren't they?

The game itself IS a board game. There's a board with tokens required to use and play on it.

You need to buy and collect packs of cards, both from the main game and from randomized booster packs. That's pretty much exactly what a CCG is.

I guess I can see how it might not be a board game, but the ccg aspect is literally what they're going for here :hmm:

It sounds like the cards just replace the long charts that older versions of Gamma World used for random mutations. I'm okay with that.

Herschel

Adventurer
It's also possible that they want to get the Essential stuff out there to try and build a pool of new players that they can sell miniatures to. If they can, for example, get stuff like the Red Box into chain stores, that could open a path to getting the miniatures in there as well.

Yep. This was part of my thought, but stupid meeting got in the way of finishing my thought 'on paper'.

pukunui

Legend
I can tell you I'm pretty pissed about the news that they are doing Very Rares in the mini sets. I stopped collecting Star Wars minis for this reason, and may very well choose to stop buying D&D minis.

And speaking of Star Wars minis, there will be no more after May. Same with the Star Wars Saga RPG. WotC has chosen not to renew the license.

They've made an announcement on the forums ... I'm guessing they won't say anything at the expo though, since it's focused on D&D?

samursus

Explorer
Like some others, I am fairly excited about the announcements. I am happy to see Wizards taking a break from pumping out books. Don't get me wrong, I thought they were of mostly good quality, but I didn't want to see the glut of 3.5. Take some time off to make sure we get some GREAT stuff... some Tweet mentioned the reason for the hiatus from the book-a-month model was because of workload.

While not every new product announced is for me, I can see the value for others and, well, if any of them were bad decisions, time will tell and adjustments will be made.

I am actually thinking of buying the Ravenloft Board game, as some gaming funds for the year ahead have been made available from less books.

And I think the Master Tiles sets will actually tempt me into buying my first DT's ever.

I think the time that R&D can spend this next year will help avoid crap class/races/monsters from ruining what I think is a great edition... (to be sure I like what they have done so far).

The Gamma World reboot has my attention as well.

And the Rules Compendium might be handy. The Players Essentials might or might not be of any use for me, depending on how much fluff they have... otherwise I'll just get the crunch from the CB and Compendium.

I like the DDM change... as it will (hopefully) be a very well done and thought out set, and because there is only 1/year of randoms, I can pick up many of them cheap as individuals. As a footnote for those who are complaining; this is a clear cut case of the non-random system just NOT working... they would not change something that was working ie: making money. I know I had no chance of picking up individual minis recently as my FLGS would not open the boxes of the last few sets to sell individuals... not sure exactly why. And last time I was there, the owner still had certain visible packs that just weren't selling...(looking at YOU Mr. Unicorn).

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I totally understand WOTC going back to non-visible miniatures, as I, too, have seen boosters that do not sell because the visible figure is so terrible. Yes, the unicorn is a poster child for that. Took me a minute to figure out what it was supposed to be....

But it looks like the prices will be the same, and that worries me a bit. At least I did know one miniature I was getting and that was good for me as a consumer, especially one who buys very very few miniatures at all.

It looks like it will be the singles market for me with futures sets, unless I buy one pack or so just for fun, an on a whim.

I'm OK with SOME fluff in the MM as long as every monster doesn't get tons of it. For the new/important ones, sure.

What I want to know is: What monsters are IN IT?

Also what, no mention of the DMG3? ;)

Damn, I'd missed that. That's really disappointing. I was really looking foward to an "Epic focus" DMG.

Very rares could be the old PC models. Really don't need much of those.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
No wonder they need DDI. What would any 4E DM or player buy in the last three months of the year? Brutal release schedule for those of us that actually like to buy books and read them - I guess I'll just play and DM and not get any new inspiration*.

*yes, that's an exaggeration

But, what, exactly would they be trying to sell to people that own 4E? I don't get it at all.

And, once again, epic fail to WotC for the awesome updates and news they are supplying on their site....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads