• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDXP 2010 News and Updates

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Gamma world random booster packs include more mutations and tech. These will be found in core stores

[uh-oh; I think that might be the trigger for the apocalypse that ends civilization :p]

Game days for gamma world will revolve around picking up some boosters, and creating a character based on the cards you get

Oh god.

Suddenly, my excitement for Gamma World 4e has vanished. I quit MTG well over a decade ago, and I'm not going back.

Last edited:

There's a ton of stuff that will still come through DDI. I think people actually underestimate now how much additional useful stuff (crunch certainly...less so on adventures) that we get through that.

I was actually starting to get book fatigue anyways. I am disappointed to not see a DMG3 though...hopefully there will be some articles on running Epic adventures in DDI soon.

Markn

First Post
And speaking of Star Wars minis, there will be no more after May. Same with the Star Wars Saga RPG. WotC has chosen not to renew the license.

They've made an announcement on the forums ... I'm guessing they won't say anything at the expo though, since it's focused on D&D?

Honestly, this was long forseen. With no new movies, there just isn't anything to sustain the excitement of Star Wars to the general public. There will always be the die hards but for a Star Wars rpg to be sustainable there has to be other things that drive it - like movies. Maybe when the live action TV series gets going it may bring the excitement level up but that would be about it.

Also, I'm sure other companies will look into getting the license but they will only be modestly successful as Star Wars falls into a niche market.

Oh god.

Suddenly, my excitement for Gamma World 4e has vanished. I quit MTG well over a decade ago, and I'm not going back.

Seriously? You're not going to see what the actual implementation of this is before writing it off? :erm:

I mean, yes it does involve some sort of cards...that do have some sort of randomization to it. But you're comparing it to a game with thousands of cards, where you actually compete against other players?

Sometimes I think that people really are unwilling to see experimentation done.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
It sounds like the cards just replace the long charts that older versions of Gamma World used for random mutations. I'm okay with that.

Eh, the issue is more with having to buy randomized booster decks to get more.

Mind you, I'm not 100% certain they're random. If they aren't, then that makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Still viewing this somewhat cynically, but hey, what did you expect from me ;)

Markn

First Post
Very rares could be the old PC models. Really don't need much of those.

I somehow doubt it. Very Rares are usually chase rares that people want. If people don't want it, then the very idea of a Very Rare becomes moot. The Very Rare exists to push people to buy that next booster in hopes they get that figure when the odds are so small that its just not going to happen. Essentially, it becomes like gambling. Its a strong incentive to purchase, which drives sales, but long term I don't think it sustains sales as customers become disillusioned and give up on the product - because a) completionists can't complete the set and b) DMs don't have a mini for that creature.

While everyones ideas of what should be a Very Rare are different, the idea is to put things in that spot that as many people as possible want - and I just don't think PC minis fit the bill.

pukunui

Legend
Honestly, this was long forseen. With no new movies, there just isn't anything to sustain the excitement of Star Wars to the general public. There will always be the die hards but for a Star Wars rpg to be sustainable there has to be other things that drive it - like movies. Maybe when the live action TV series gets going it may bring the excitement level up but that would be about it.
Well, there is also the upcoming Old Republic MMO. I bet if WotC had renewed the license they would've put out a campaign guide to coincide with it. To be honest, I'm disappointed but also somewhat relieved - I'm looking forward to having a 'finished' game once The Unknown Regions comes out. My wallet (and my wife) will certainly be happier.

Also, I'm sure other companies will look into getting the license but they will only be modestly successful as Star Wars falls into a niche market.
I'm sure they'll look but will they buy? I bet that license is hideously expensive ... and since LucasArts controls all electronic SW media (and I'm not even sure if they offer a license), the options are pretty limited.

While everyones ideas of what should be a Very Rare are different, the idea is to put things in that spot that as many people as possible want - and I just don't think PC minis fit the bill.
Exactly. It'll be named figures, beholders, gold dragons and the like that'll get the Very Rare treatment.

Markn

First Post
Well, there is also the upcoming Old Republic MMO. I bet if WotC had renewed the license they would've put out a campaign guide to coincide with it. To be honest, I'm disappointed but also somewhat relieved - I'm looking forward to having a 'finished' game once The Unknown Regions comes out. My wallet (and my wife) will certainly be happier.

I'm not sure an MMO is big enough to sustain the general RPGing public. There has to be something big, something that generates big excitement - such as new movies. Without that, the RPG fanbase slowly dwindles until its simply not worth the licensing fees anymore. I think almost all the major sci-fi genres are affected by this.

pukunui

Legend
I'm not sure an MMO is big enough to sustain the general RPGing public. There has to be something big, something that generates big excitement - such as new movies. Without that, the RPG fanbase slowly dwindles until its simply not worth the licensing fees anymore. I think almost all the major sci-fi genres are affected by this.
Well, hopefully the live action TV series will do it.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Well, hopefully the live action TV series will do it.

Honestly, I think the TV series thing peaked with the first Clone Wars when Genndy Tartakovsky was behind the wheel. Once the third movie and the really god awful pure-CGI movie came out and just crapped all over the awesomeness of his miniseries, a lot of interested died immidiately.

As for the MMORPG, I dunno. MMORPGs haven't been doing to well at all as of late, so we'll see if this one can succeed where all the other recent ones have flopped.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads