• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dead Fire

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The description of thie module makes it sound much worse than it actually is. It's actually quite good

It's set in a sort of generic forest town, and the PCs must investigate the cause of a large forest fire, which basically ends up with them ransacking a wizard's tower (after some investigation...).

The town is detailed fairly well, and the tower itself is a fairly decent dungeon crawl. Certainly above average. The artwork is pretty good - reminescent of early TSR D&D modules, and lots of helpful advice on how to customize the adventure is included.

One thing - there are a couple mistakes, for instance, characters with a class of 'Noble' instead of "Aristocrat", and there are elves in it called 'Gold' elves, which are not in the d20 material, but apparently only exist in the Forgotten Realms setting.

If I use a pre-generated adventure, there are certain things I want.
1) Art: I am no artist and I feel I could have done as good a job, the maps are simple in the extreme. However, the layout was handled very nicely, better than a lot of d20 stuff, unfortunately the content is not as good.
2) Boxed-Text: You know what I mean, the graphic verbal descriptions that are supposed to imbue the proper mood for the players.
The text in this adventure is OK, but not award winning.
3) Role-playing: Some, but very little guidance is given.
4) Smart NPC's: By this I mean, are their motivations and actions reasonable, or has the writer had them do something stupid so that there will be an adventure? Half and Half. The villains are given reasonable motivations, but the people you save are stupid.
5) Goodies: New items and/or monstersTwo monsters, one of which is a variation of an existing monster.

The adventure stinks, mainly because it has too much let's convince the powerful people to do the right thing. It might be good adventure for a higher level party, but it'll take a lot of work to make it so. Even at $0, it's not free because it takes time to read it, and if you choose to use it, you'll probably have to print it.

The wizard Eldolan Darkbough is dead, but his evil legacy lives on.The village of Foresthall is under siege from a horrendous forest fire. The gold elves use their limited resources to combat the blaze, but their most powerful and wizened wizard has gone missing. Somewhere a lonely and tormented dryad holds the key to the survival of all in the path of the raging blaze. Free adventure available for download from the publisher.

Remove ads