Dead Man's Chest -- Spooky Pirate Fun -- COMPLETE! Nov 3/06

ledded

Herder of monkies
barsoomcore said:
The youth nodded and spoke quietly.

"Ah Balam's some sort of Indian priest. Says the gates of hell are opening up."

"I think we can see them from here, lad. Stay alert."
Now it's lines like that, delivered in that oh-so-cool Barsoomcore bantering style, that just *make* a pirate story, especially a creepy one.

I am impressed in a most unabashed manner, and hooked like a starvin' catfish on this story.

Bravo sir. Monkey-freakin' bravo.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Thanks, folks. Very cheering, indeed.

We're just about wrapped up on this game now (only one more session, methinks), so I can devote time to recording it rather than generating it. Stay tuned for some true swashbuckling excitement!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock. My name is William Hancock.

Ana stepped out of her cabin and looked up, startled, at the sudden nearness of Red. The brawny Englishman sneered and reached out to stroke the woman's face with a stained finger. Ana jerked back, and the two big fellows standing behind Red chuckled.

"Sweetheart."

Ana looked up and down the companionway. To her right doors led to the armoury and to the captain's cabin, and to her left a door opened onto the quarterdeck. Across the hall another door opened into Mister Black's cabin. Besides herself and the three sailors, there was no one else in the companionway.

Red closed in.

"You want to be friendly, squaw. Things gonna change around here, and you'll be happy you were."

Three of them, all grinning. Ana knew if she yelled chances were good that only more of Red's cronies would come to see what was happening. She wished Dras were around. The men pressed forward and Ana drew back into her cabin. The door was just a couple of slats, enough for privacy but by no means would it stand up to any sort of determined effort. Her knife and her bow were behind her, in a far corner of the room. They might as well have been back in England.

She considered trying to diplomatically convince the sailors to leave her alone.

One look at the advancing leers decided her.

"You keep your filthy hands off me, you foul son of a pig."

Red grunted in surprise. Whether that was due to Ana's display of bravado, or the cold muzzle of the pistol suddenly pressed to his temple, Ana couldn't really say.

Black spoke quietly, with complete assurance.

"You are troubling the lady, sir. Better if you left."

Red scowled and started to turn around to face Black, who'd come out of his room unseen and planted his gun against the ex-pirate's head. Black made sure the hammer was pulled back. The click seemed unnaturally loud.

Outside, Lieutenant Fulcher's voice rose in angry denunciation of the watch's performance. The ship rolled and creaked around them. The wind shifted a few points and they could hear the snap snap snap of the sails bellying to the new breeze.

"Better if you left, sir. I promise you."

Ana drew herself up to speak, but whatever words she was planning were lost in the sudden piercing scream that exploded from the captain's cabin.

Dras and Quinn loitered by the bowsprit. The Ascot Marine hurtled in advance of a north-westerly, the bow breaking across low rollers in endless succession. The stern of the ship had become a zone no one liked to enter, ever since the captain's "breakdown" the previous day. Word had spread rapidly across the ship: the captain screaming at nothing, seizing weapons, accusing everyone aboard of mutiny. Other, darker things were whispered on the lower decks. Had the captain claimed to hear voices? Had he threatened to cut open his own head to show everyone what was happening to him?

Doctor Ignatius had refused to comment on the captain's condition, which of course ensured that the wildest of rumours were flying around the ship within seconds.

"Heard they had to tie him up. Only stopped screaming when Fulcher clopped him across the head." Quinn spat over the rail.

Dras lay back, eyes closed against the sunshine.

"Now what? Do we keep going or what happens?"

"Don't know. Nothing good -- hello."

Eyes open again, Dras sat up and looked where Quinn was staring. At the far end of the quarterdeck, Morrison, the drunken master-at-arms, came out of the companionway with an armful of pistols and cutlasses. Horse and Red followed, the little monkey clinging determinedly to Horse's shoulder.

Dras and Quinn looked at each other and nodded. They found the nearest grating and dropped to the gun deck. The three men they were following could just be seen through the gloom, descending yet again.

The Ascot Marine had stairs from deck to deck both forward and aft. Morrison, Red and Horse were descending the aft stairwells as Dras and Quin descended the forward, the two groups separated by a hundred feet of low-ceilinged, cramped quarters. Once they'd descended to the hold, there was nowhere further to go. The lowest hold only had one stairwell leading to it, amidships. Dras and Quinn crept carefully aft, making their cautious way around creaking barrels and crates. Rats scurried about in the darkness. Beyond the hull the Atlantic Ocean hurtled past in a dull roar.

Quinn tapped Dras' shoulder and pointed. Someone had lit a lantern up ahead, and in its glow the two could see their quarry heading down into the lower hold. Once the three men had completely disappeared below they both crept forward and peered down the stairs.

The lantern had moved away from the stairwell and as they watched its glow dwindled to almost nothing. Quinn and Dras shrugged at each other and slipped silently down the steps, separating without a word and creeping towards the glow from different directions.

"Why don't we kill the bastard? He's trouble."

Red's French was rough and accented. When Horse responded, he spoke with a thick African accent but was obviously a practiced speaker of the language.

"Do nothing until we give the word. Nothing. The time is not yet right."

"I get that Indian tramp, though. I get her first."

"Do nothing until we give the word. Disobey us again, Red, and there will be consequences."

Dras had gotten on top of a pile of massive sacks of grain and could just peer over the lip into the hollow where the three men sat glowering at each other. The cutlasses and pistols had been stuffed under a loose sack.

Horse spoke again.

"The Captain is not yet ready. Once we give the word, move quickly. You know who's with us and who needs to be eliminated right away. Over the side with the bodies and there's no one to say otherwise, is there?"

Dras' boot scraped noisily across the surface of a grain sack. In horror the youth watched as Morrison reached for the lantern and all went dark. There was a noisy scuffle of booted feet, then silence. And then...

Something skittered nearby. Something small. Dras felt a breath. Something giggled.

Quinn had been unable to get close enough to hear anything other than vague mumbles, but when the light went out he froze. In a sudden rush he heard a noisy exit from the hold as Horse, Morrison and Red sped through the darkness and up the stairs. Quinn stayed right where he was. For long seconds he held his breath, listening in the pitch-black hold as the ship creaked and groaned around him.

He concentrated, sure that he'd heard something. Something not quite right. Something... high-pitched. Like a child whispering.

A faint green glow developed over near where the lantern had been burning. Heart thundering in his chest, Quinn made his way toward it.

He stopped as he saw Dras sprawled supine atop a stack of grain sacks, some sickly phosphorescent glow coming from around the youth's head. As Quinn watched, horrified, the glow faded and the hold went dark again. Something skittered through the cargo and up the steps.

"Dras? Dras, wake up, kid."

"It speaks... The voice in the darkness... It speaks..."

"Hey, kid."

Dras sat up, arms wrapped tightly, and scuttled back from Quinn.

"No, don't touch me."

Quinn shook his head.

"It's okay, kid. You were... having a dream, or something. I guess."

Dras scrambled upright, and with a frightened stare, ran for the stairs and up out of the lower hold. Quinn watched for a second, then crept around the grain sacks to where the three men had been talking. He pulled back the flap of burlap and studied the seven cutlasses that lay there. The men must have taken the pistols with them.

Quinn recalled Black's words on mutiny.

"This ship will become a slaughterhouse."

He turned to head up the stairs and stopped cold.

Horse stood looking down at him. The former pirate's shoulders filled the companionway, his crossed arms bulging with masses of knotted muscle. Quinn swallowed. Horse looked big enough to EAT him. Raw.

The massive sailor snapped his fingers and two cronies with improvised truncheons in their hands stepped forward.

"Kill kim."

They descended the only stairwell into the lower hold where Quinn stood.

"You don't want to talk about this?"

Ana and Black were staring at Aqbal when Dras came up from the lower decks, panting.

"There's-- "

Dras fell silent at Black's signal. The youth's brow contracted in a confused frown as the scene before them became apparent.

Aqbal lay sprawled next to one of the guns, dripping with seawater. Water poured off him and trickled across the deck.

The gunports were all closed. The rest of the gun deck was dry. Aqbal looked as though he'd been dragged behind the ship for an hour and then magically deposited here, without leaving a trail of water to show how he'd gotten to this place.

His eyes opened. Dras started and grabbed Black's arm in surprise. The gunner looked around without any apparent recognition. He spoke, his voice impossibly deep and resonating, but quiet, as though coming up from the very root of the ocean.

"The beast seeks the master of the dead. Follow the bell's ring but return not to where the creature awaits. The Lords of Yxche lie helpless, without riders or favours. The Loa may not interfere. You will help."

Ana nodded. Dras leaned forward and ran a finger along Aqbal's cheek.

"Agwe? Papa Agwe?"

Black looked back and forth between his two compatriots.

"Well, that seems clear enough. Where's Quinn?"

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
If anyone reads this, know: Lieutenant Jack Fulcher is a murderer. Captain Hancock may not be dead yet but I have no doubt that soon, very soon, the evil men aboard this ship will take action, and then not only will the Captain come to the end of his life, so will many of us aboard the Ascot Marine.

I am resolved to meet my fate. I am Lieutenant Jason Davis, of Swindon, writing this now. Jack Fulcher struck our raving captain a fearful blow and now the man lies senseless these seven days past. He will not recover, I am sure. He was mad to begin with. And now the ship is leaderless and neither I nor Fulcher can fill the void.

Mister Rupert Black could, if only the ship were not crewed by the ignorant savages and bloodthirsty pirates Fulcher hired. There are some good men aboard, enough for a small crew, perhaps, but these pestilential demons will not rest until they have reduced this ship to nothing.

I have the letter of marque. Fulcher and Horse may have the ship, but I have the letter that makes the seizure of enemy ships legal. They did not even think to search for it.

And now I consign this note to the waves. May you who read it know the truth of what has happened aboard the Ascot Marine in April of 1703: A mutiny led by Lieutenant Fulcher and a man known as Horse has resulted in the deaths of Captain William Hancock and Lieutenant Jason Davis. Myself.

I only pray that I can spare the girl the fate these foul beasts no doubt envision for her.

Mutiny is, like all activities that involve large groups acting in concert, not so much an event as a relentless wave that builds momentum and breaks, crushing all in its path and driving the remains before it in chaos and bloodshed. Before that wave crests, there seem to be no end of possible ways to defuse it, to render it harmless. But once the wave has broken, once the thunderous power has been released, it cannot be stopped, controlled or directed. Only ridden.

The Mutiny on the Ascot Marine started building momentum in late April of 1703. It did not break however, until May 5th, when a little voice, high-pitched and sneering, whispered to Horse:

"It is time."

This came some days after he had decided to spare young Quinn's life.

Quinn had watched Horse's minions descend the stair into the hold where he alone stood. One glance at the massive African told Quinn that there was no mercy to be found there, so he turned his attention to the two sailors now approaching him with their cudgels raised.

"Nice sticks," said the young Irishman, who without warning turned and fled back to the cache of weapons that Horse, Morrison and Red had stored down here. His pursuers came behind, but not fast enough to catch him before he reached the stash and grabbed a cutlass, whirling to face them with the weapon gripped in both hands.

Fighting in the cramped conditions of a brigantine's lower hold was a unique skill, and one that Quinn had learned on earlier voyages. He was not a duelist like Black or the mulatto boy Dras, but he was quick and strong and, more to the point, he was facing certain death.

Now that they were confronted with an armed foe, the two sailors came on more cautiously. Quinn backed around a sturdy oaken pillar, and as the first of his enemies came around, leapt out with a wild slash. His blade cut into the man's arm, passing through and burying itself in the pillar.

A scream of pain and the hiss of a sudden flow of blood came to where Horse stood awaiting the end of the battle. Curses followed and another crack of steel on hardened wood, and the big pirate frowned.

His frown deepened as one of his minions came staggering back clutching at his arm, and the other followed, truncheon held up to ward off the savage blows of Quinn's fear-maddened attack.

"Hold."

Horse stood looking down into the dark cargo hold. One man badly wounded and the other frightened. His reputation was starting to look shaky, and Horse had served many years on pirate vessels where authority lived and died by reputation. He grinned down at Quinn, who had ceased his wild swings and stood, panting, staring up the stairs.

"I'll have work for you. Later."

Later. Horse never followed up on that threat, but Quinn played the part of cooperative minion for the next few days, steering clear of Black and the others.

But once the mutiny started, he knew he'd have to choose sides.

The first Dras heard of the mutiny was a low thump from aft. The youth sat amongst other crew members on the gun deck. The deck was full from bow to stern with quietly talking sailors, and not everyone noticed the sound that caught Dras' attention.

The cook's mate eased up off the chair and turned to look back down the length of the ship.

Red and Horse and a half-dozen of their cronies approached, making their scowling way forward. Horse gave a quick sign and two of the men grabbed old Stormy Jack and with a single blow, struck off his head.

Dras recoiled violently, tumbling under the ramshackle table as the pirates approached. People froze in terror, and more sudden sounds of heavy falling told Dras that Stormy Jack was not the only one to suffer a sudden judgment at the hands of mutineers.

A few voices rose in protest, one man screamed, but thunks and clangs of violence were followed only by groans and hateful laughter. The deck thundered with sudden footsteps as crew members fled.

Dras watched from under the table as Horse and Red and the others stalked by. They stopped just past the youth's hiding spot, and Dras nearly cried out as he saw them grab Aqbal the gunner. The rotund African shouted inarticulately as Red struck him about the face. Horse stood with his arms crossed, the little monkey crouching on one massive shoulder.

"Take him up on deck."

Red chuckled.

"And the squaw's mine, remember."

They passed on. Dras scrambled out from under the table and ran for the stern companionway. They were after Ana.

The mulatto raced up on to the quarterdeck and burst into the companionway that led to the cabins. A dark fist pounded on the door to Ana's cabin.

"Ana! Mutiny! Red's coming for you!"

The door behind Dras burst open and the youth turned to find Morrison, face reddened with drink and bloodlust, rumbling down the hall. Dras fled across the companionway and into the armoury, the door having been left strangely open. A grab and the youth held up the rapier last used in the duel with Rupert Black.

Morrison took one look at the young mulatto holding the rapier, awaiting his entrance, and slammed the door shut. Dras heard the lock click into place and realized that, as the master-at-arms, Morrison had the key. The youth was locked in. Looking around, it was obvious that nearly all the weapons had been removed. All that was left was a thick-bladed dagger.

Dras looked over at the wall separating the armoury from the captain's cabin, then down at the dagger.

"I'm not staying in here."

The tip of the dagger dug into the panelling and with heavy strokes, Dras began chiseling through the wall.

Ana sat up at Dras' yells. She'd been afraid of this day, for she knew Red had been preparing to deliver her to a fate she'd consider worse than death. The slender island girl snatched up her bow and her dagger, determined to sell her life dearly as she heard sudden crashes and voices in the hall outside.

Her hand went to the pendant at her breast. Kalamas the Turtle, deliverer of her Arawk people. She whispered.

"Kalamas, shield me. Don't let these savages take hold of me."

Fists and kicking feet slammed against the light door to her cabin.

"Come out, squaw. You're gonna show us all your secrets."

The door shook with another impact and Ana fell back into a corner of the room, clutching at her pendant, whispering over and over.

"Kalamas, shield me."

The door burst open and Red's ugly, sneering face appeared, backed by a host of cronies. They looked briefly around the room.

"Blast! Where's she gone?"

They left. Ana stayed huddled where she was.

"Kalamas, thank you."

The window was open. She climbed out and up.

Black heard the screams. He was resting in his cabin, avoiding the midday sunshine, when a sudden thunder of panicked footsteps and voices rattled outside. There was a crack that could only have been a pistol shot, and the Englishman took a moment to load his own weapon and grab a shoulder-bag. With a quick glance inside the bag, Black spent a few seconds lighting a cigar before stepping out onto the deck.

Men surged in restless waves around the deck, and even up on the poop deck behind him. Black took in the scene quickly.

It was clear that the crew was polarizing. He could see Morrison towards the bow, brandishing a pistol and urging the less savoury members forward. Lieutenant Davis and some of the other hands were assembled not far from where Black stood.

Even as Black watched, Morrison lowered his pistol and fired. Davis fell backwards and men on all sides roared.

The deck pitched in the Atlantic rollers, sails overhead snapping in the spring breeze. Hot wind slapped at Black's face as he looked about, noticing the fear on the faces around him.

"Ascots!" he shouted, "To me!"

Shouts and confusion, another pistol shot and a roaring charge across the deck. Black found himself scrambling up to the poop deck with a couple of dozen sailors, Quinn among them, dragging the injured Lieutenant Davis up the steps. Below on the quarterdeck, Horse, Morrison and the others glared up at them. The drunk master-at-arms grabbed Lieutenant Fulcher and half-a-dozen mutineers.

"Through the captain's cabin! Up from behind, lads, while we keep them busy here! They'll not last long."

Black drew a bulky cylinder from his shoulder-bag, retreating to one side of the poop. Below him a window gaped open, giving him a view into the captain's cabin. He grinned and took a tug on his cigar, then touched the end to a thin cable that extended from one end of the cylinder.

It immediately began to give off sparks.

"Let's see who lasts how long."

With a final wiggle and a last heave of thin arms, Dras collapsed into the captain's cabin. Standing up, the youth recoiled from the body of the captain himself, rigid and frozen in an expression of terror on the wide table that once had held charts and logbooks. Blood leaked from a terrible wound in the man's head.

Dras heard footsteps in the hall and hurriedly grabbed up the captain's pistols from where they hung on a peg. The door burst open to reveal Fulcher and six of Morrison's thugs, stopped in confusion at the sight of the mulatto.

"Excuse me."

Dras dove for the hole recently chiseled out of the wall just as Black's hissing, sparking cylinder tumbled in through the window.

There was a very loud bang.

Dras swore creatively and with enthusiasm. The explosion in the captain's cabin had demolished the partition wall between the cabin and the armoury, and Dras currently lay beneath the wreckage. With a great deal of effort the youth clambered free, spared no more than a glance for the moaning bodies in what was left of the cabin and charged down the companionway, drawing both pistols and bursting out onto the quarterdeck.

Overhead, Black was still chuckling at the effect of his homemade anti-personnel device. He looked down from the rail in surprise as the door directly beneath flew open and young Dras stood there, a pistol in either hand, leveled at the crowd of mutineers on the deck. Uncertain sailors retreated from the fierce look in the youth's eyes.

"Who wants to be first to die? I'll put a bullet in your face, Morrison, if you make one move. Just try me."

For a long few seconds, nobody moved.

Black leaned over the rail.

"We're up here, lad, if you want to join us."

In seconds the former cook's mate was up on the poop deck. The Ascot Marine was now a divided ship, with the mutineers in possession of all the ship except the raised poop deck at the stern, where Black and Ana and Quinn and Dras crouched with the injured Lieutenant Davis and another twenty or so loyal hands.

"They killed Aqbal. On the gun deck."

"Those bastards."

Quinn shook his head, and hissed, "Once they build up their courage they're going to rush us. We can't hold them off."

Black fixed the young man with a steady look.

"Then let's make them pay."

"Mister Black! A word with you!"

Only Dras recognized the high, thin voice that called from the quarterdeck. The mulatto's face went cold at the sound, eyes staring.

The others got up and went to the rail. Below they saw Morrison, Red and the massive Horse looking up at them. There was no sign of who had spoken. Horse held a gruesome bundle -- Master Aqbal's head, dripping blood on the deck.

Black called down, "Who wants a word? And what word do you want?"

"I do."

"Holy Mary, Jesus and the ass he rode to Jerusalem. It's the damned monkey."

Bobo the monkey bowed from his perch on Horse's shoulder.

"Indeed, sir. Now, you can see we possess advantages both in numbers and firepower. Your death, and the deaths of all those with you, is assured. But perhaps we can make an alternate arrangement?"

"We're willing to discuss terms. Even with a monkey."

At the risk of offending the others who commented on my storyhour, let me say that of all of their storyhours that I read, yours is the one that I am most interested in continuing. You're an entertaining writer. I'll no doubt offer more praise as I continue to read and catch up over the next few days. *grin*

Edited because I originally said weeks instead of days, before realizing there weren't as many posts here as I had thought.

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Going from the Davis letter and the bit about crashing waves: could the PCs have prevented the mutiny from occurring? Seems like it would have been a good idea to arrange for Horse and Red & co. to have a fatal accident.

-z

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Had Horse et al met with a fatal accident, then yes, the mutiny might have been avoided. Captain Hancock's madness was pretty much a sure thing, though, and as long as the monkey was still around...

Horse was significantly tougher than the party really ought to have been able to handle -- they'd have had to come up with a pretty tricky/deadly plan to handle him. It was made very clear to them that fighting Horse was a BAD idea.

They were about 5th level -- he was about 10th. Along with his cronies (Red and Morrison were both 5th level, and they had a variety of 2nd-level mooks running around), he was strong enough that direct opposition wasn't really a option.

Remove ads