Dealing Non-Lethal Damage

Knight Otu

First Post
This one got lost with the crash, and I had to rewrite it.

Divine Mercy [Divine]
Prerequisites:
Wis 13, turn undead ability.
Benefit: As a free action, you may spend one of your turn undead attempts to have any weapon damage you deal be non-lethal damage (in addition to its other types) for 1 round per your Wisdom bonus.

As part of a spellcasting action, you may spend one of your turn undead attempts to have any damage the spell deals be non-lethal damage (in addition to its other types).

Mercyful Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisites:
Wis 13, ???
Benefit: A mercyful spell deals non-lethal damage rather than lethal. If that damage was typed (such as fire, divine or force), it is still of that damage type. A mercyful spell uses up a spell slot of the spell’s normal level.

Mercyful Claw
Transmutation
Level:
Drd 3, Rgr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell magically makes one natural weapon of the target mercyful, as the weapon quality of the same name. The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage.
The effects of this spell do not stack with the mercyful weapon quality. The spell can affect a slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon.
Mercyful claw can be made permanent with a permanency spell, requiring caster level 11th, and 1500 XP.

Mercyful Weapon
Transmutation
Level:
Clr 3, Pal 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One weapon or fifty projectiles, all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
This spell magically makes a weapon mercyful, as the weapon quality of the same name. The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage. If cast on a bow, crossbow, or sling, the weapon bestows the merciful effect upon its ammunition. If cast on arrows or crossbow bolts, the mercyful effect on a particular projectile ends after one use, whether or not the missile strikes its intended target. (Treat shuriken as arrows, rather than as thrown weapons, for the purpose of this spell.)
The effects of this spell do not stack with the mercyful weapon quality. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as a claw.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't like the spellcasting addition to Divine Mercy, particularly in the wake of the non-lethal damage sub metamagic feat that was approved awhile ago. And it smells too much like divine metamagic.

I like the 2 spells, think they're well done and balanced at those levels.

Knight Otu

First Post
Bront said:
I don't like the spellcasting addition to Divine Mercy, particularly in the wake of the non-lethal damage sub metamagic feat that was approved awhile ago. And it smells too much like divine metamagic.
Do you mean subdual substitution from the SRD? Don't remember if another feat was approved (grumbles about crash). As for Divine Metamagic, that one is broken because it allows a caster to cast spell at a higher level than they otherwise could, along with the flexibility to break it (and Persistant Spell. Always Persistant). I don't think either is the case here, but I had toyed with the idea to either make the cost of the spellcasting part be two turn attempts, or to add another prerequisite to the feat.

Bront

The man with the probe
That's understandable.

The metamagic feat was one Kahuna made, I don't see it, but I could have sword it was approved.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen Kahuna on.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
well, I'm not a judge, and my opinion would be pretty easy to guess (yes please, anything to not kill people effectively! ;) )

My feat was not approved, as it got bogged down in a lot of conflicting flavor and mechanical issues.

Bront

The man with the probe
Realy? I thought it was good. You should propose it again. Making stuff non-lethal as a metamagic feat was a +0 in the BoED.

Bront

The man with the probe
Anyway, I like all 3 of these, more in particular, I think you should instead add a "Merciful Spell" metamagic feat that simply turns all lethal to non-lethal damage of the same type for a +0 modifier.

Bront

The man with the probe
That was KB's origional proposal, or something close. It seems balanced, particularly when you don't stipulate anything beyond that, so some things are imune to NL damage end up shrugging it off, all the elemental effects are kept so resistances still work, but you do NL damage. So a +0 level adjustment seems ok to me.

Patlin

Explorer
These seem harmless enough, if you'll forgive the quasi-pun. I vote YES on all of the above, except that I'd also support removing prerequisites from Mercifull Spell completely. Why should it have prerequisites when Empower Spell doesn't?

Remove ads