D&D 5E Dealing with stupidly high rolls.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I disagree. A 2nd-level spell slot that uses Concentration and lasts only an hour is sufficient payment for this bonus. Plus only druids, rangers, and trickster clerics have it (of the PHB classes) and not every party has these characters. Very few in my experience.

A group check costs the party nothing, doesn't require a particular class, and offers a huge advantage to the party when it comes to determining surprise. I would never use a group check to resolve a party's stealth. If you want to be sneaky as a group, plan for it and/or spend some resources.

Shadow Monks get it too and can use it a lot if they are willing to spend the Ki for it, but I agree it isn't game breaking. it's a neat thing that comes at a cost, just like most neat things PCs get.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I disagree. A 2nd-level spell slot that uses Concentration and lasts only an hour is sufficient payment for this bonus. Plus only druids, rangers, and trickster clerics have it (of the PHB classes) and not every party has these characters. Very few in my experience.

A group check costs the party nothing, doesn't require a particular class, and offers a huge advantage to the party when it comes to determining surprise. I would never use a group check to resolve a party's stealth. If you want to be sneaky as a group, plan for it and/or spend some resources.

Agree to disagree I guess :p

Remove ads