• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death due to stat loss.

Jcosby

First Post
Jarrod said:
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

And from what I remember of that mega-module, your son will only be the first. We had a *nice* GM, and there were ~6 character deaths. And we got lucky, and were overstrength, and...

I think it sets a nice tone for the module. It's supposed to be creepy and arbitrary.

Though.... if you wanted to be Really Evil (tm), Big T (you know who I mean) might contact the rogue and promise him life in return for... considerations... :]

Its funny that you mention that, because if you know the module you know there is a hint about the "flour mill" in town in the journal. My son of all people in the party was sharp enough to spot that and remind the group in town (after he was rez'd, yes I'm easy.. :) ) and they made haste to the flour mill and through bad decisions and horid rolls, I actually could have killed 2-3 more players but thought two deaths that session was enough (Killed the Monk on a different encounter).

So, the people in the flour Mill can't remember which took them captive and are on their way to taking them to Nulb for a little interigation. (Three party members escaped and are trying to round up a Homlet style possy to go chase them down..) Should be interesting.

Thanks
JC

Lela

First Post
Jarrod said:
Though.... if you wanted to be Really Evil (tm), Big T (you know who I mean) might contact the rogue and promise him life in return for... considerations... :]

I think you're quoting my next session there Jarrod. Someone has to get the Unfettered tied up in the basement of a collapsed building free. Might as well be Big T.

EvilGM

Explorer
Con drain is nasty.

Try getting attacked by a few Dread Wraiths + normal wraiths while you're the only one on watch. I did live past the surprise round, but not much longer - and this with a cleric that is geared to take down undead.

It was fairly humorous though. The DM asked what I was going to do on my turn... "Um, just lay here dead, 'cuz I'm at -30 something hps". "Oh! You are?"

the Jester

Legend
Lela said:
I think you're quoting my next session there Jarrod. Someone has to get the Unfettered tied up in the basement of a collapsed building free. Might as well be Big T.

Why not Mr. T?

"I pity the fool who ties up my unfettered!"

Lela

First Post
Just a note, since you're running RttToEE, you might want to use the house rule I took from Old One. Death at -Con Score. Meaning that he'd have died at -7 in this case, but normally this works out better for the characters. Especially the Fighters who are taking the brunt of the damage. The difference between -10 and -14 can sometimes be a gulf.

Oh, and AU/AE came out with similar dying rules.

Endur

First Post
As I said previously, I thought how you handled the situation was correct.

One possibility for handling it differently is to tell the player that the water looks polluted and smells terrible and ask the player if he really wants to go swimming in a toxic waste dump.

Monte calls the water "befouled" and "corrupted" but never really says whether there is a visual difference or a smell difference, so different GMs can interpret it differently.

Remove ads