• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death from above, an unorthadox strategy

BSF

Explorer
I thought distance = (1/2)* acceleration * time^2

Gravity equals 9.8 m/s or 32 ft/s.

In 6 seconds, an object will have fallen 576 ft, in 7 seconds 784 feet and will still be accelerating.

However, it doesn't matter since wonky DnD Physics seems to indicate that a fall happens in 1 round, regardless of distance.

Personally, I can't stretch my imagination quite that far. I would have to figure out the time it would take to fall that far.

niastri

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
I thought distance = (1/2)* acceleration * time^2

Gravity equals 9.8 m/s or 32 ft/s.

In 6 seconds, an object will have fallen 576 ft, in 7 seconds 784 feet and will still be accelerating.

However, it doesn't matter since wonky DnD Physics seems to indicate that a fall happens in 1 round, regardless of distance.

Personally, I can't stretch my imagination quite that far. I would have to figure out the time it would take to fall that far.

I rounded the numbers off a bit obviously...

Just as obviously, I don't know how far a meter is :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
MarauderX said:
A follow up to accuracy...

Range increments. If you have a 10' range with an object, chances are you are going to miss (200' = -40 to hit). Think of it as trying to do precision bombing from 200 feet up.

This is my take on the situation too. Range increments are what makes this realistically hard to pull of.

Cheers

myradale

First Post
I thought about that too.

Range increments would make it almost impossible to aim except for the fact that you are aiming straight downwards.

Seeing how gravity pulls straight down, and air resistance isn't going to change the path of something as dense as a rock in only 600' significantly, whatever "square" you "dropped" the stone in would pretty much be the square it landed in, right?

Or would it?
I'm going to have to spend some time chucking pebbles off of buildings to confirm my theory!

BSF

Explorer
In all likelihood you could drop it straight down. But combatants aren't stanind in their square doing nothing during a combat round. They are moving through the entire 25 sq ft. You could target the square with decent success I think. But the creature in the square would be a little more problematic.

Torm

Explorer
This is only peripherally related - but have any of you guys taken a look at how much damage an 1100lb Eberron warforged does when he drops on someone from, say, 50ft up? Just happened in our campaign today. O M G. :D

Bauglir

First Post
Torm said:
This is only peripherally related - but have any of you guys taken a look at how much damage an 1100lb Eberron warforged does when he drops on someone from, say, 50ft up? Just happened in our campaign today. O M G. :D
10d6?

Remove ads