[Death in Freeport] Any advice?

Hari the Monk

First Post
I've run this module once before, and am thinking about running for my new group, as well. It's a fairly well thought-out module, IMO.

However, my players got 'smart' on me, and smacked down the badguy as he went into the hideout, without his followers as back-up. Though the clerics later on did cause a few fleeing scenes with the 'cause fear' spells. Works wonderfully on the weak-willed fighters. :)

Nikchick

Explorer
Xandercrisp said:
My players would not let the turnups go. 'Everything else on that list means something! The turnups MUST mean something!":rolleyes:

ROFL! That's awesome.

Um, I mean, sorry... ;)

Man, I just can't stop snickering about this one. :D

Nicole

Quickbeam

Explorer
I agree that having all three modules on hand and reviewed ahead of time is darn near essential for the sake of continuity.

I also pulled out a few tricks and props when I DMed this trilogy:
For instance, I actually typed out the notes, diary pages etc. using old fonts printed on resume parchment, then "aged" the paper by burning the edges and getting it a bit dirty. I designed the yellow sign (as Xandercrisp suggests), and worked real hard on the behavior and personalities of the primary NPCs.

As for the turnips...well thankfully my group spent essentially zero time on this topic. But that's too funny :D !!

Xandercrisp

First Post
Oh sure it's funny to you people. You didn't need to decide who the major turnip inporter was. They wanted to interogate a turnup seller. I tried to deflect them back to the plot by saying they couldn't find one. Now they see the real mystery of the adventure! someone is preventing turnups from reaching Freeport. It must be a consperacy. Maybe Verlaine is the great turnup theif! No, he got assasinated because he know too much. :rolleyes:

Yes it's funny later, and I guess it was funny then, but really. And then they complain because the plot is not going anywhere!

JoeCrow

Explorer
Aaaaahhhhh!!! Turnips from HELL!!

Gods below, they just would NOT let that go.

"We look for a turnip vendor!"
"Where's the vegetable market?"
"Is his name Turnip?"

I nearly had them all killed by a turnip golem. Oy.

As for the Yellow Sign, I had them all make Will saves in the temple whenever they saw one to avoid spooky mental DM effects. The halfling psion made all his saves, so he though the rest were imagining things...until he decided to pry the GLOWING YELLOW EYES out of the statue in the temple room. Nothing like having an Elder God call you a defiler. Now he's got two odd marks on his right palm and really bad dreams. Sucker. :p

Anxiously awaiting the Freeport book...

Deranged Youth

First Post
You can't not love Freeport. I'm running it in two groups I love it so much. Turnips are silly. This is a semi-random collection of sentences. I really pity Lucius. The man never gets a break, does he?
On a side note, I now have a shine to each of the people even vagely involved in making Freeport. I sacrifice cheap pirate paraphanalia every few days.
Arrrrrrrrrr!!!

Remove ads