• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

December and Beyond!

Rechan

Adventurer
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (December and Beyond)

However, what grabbed my eye was this for Martial Power 2:
You can build a fighter who slashes and pummels at close quarters, or a rogue who employs stealth as a lethal weapon. Alternatively, you could create a ranger who darts through the battlefield, or a warlord who unleashes a barrage of arrows.
Do I perceive wrong, or is that a FIST USING FIGHTER? And a warlord with BOWS? And ... and I'm not sure what to make of the rogue and ranger.

YEEHAW.

RefinedBean

First Post
A rogue that employs stealth as a lethal weapon? What the heck were they doing before?

Hopefully it's an Int or Wis build, I'm sick of this Cha crap.

Dausuul

Legend
I just assumed "pummel" referred to using the pommel of a weapon.

Same here. If you look at medieval combat manuals, bashing the other guy with the pommel of your sword was an important technique in hand-to-hand combat. The sword was an extremely versatile weapon, and a large part of that versatility came from knowing how to use every part of the sword to its fullest extent (using the pommel as a close-quarters bludgeon, using the cross-guard to hook the enemy's weapon, et cetera).

I think the slash and pummel part and the using stealth as a lethal weapon refer to options that already exist.

The second sentence I think refers to the Ranged Warlord, and the 3.5e Scout coming back as a build of the Ranger.

weem

First Post
Yea, this part of the entry intrigued me as well...

Then in Chapter 5 we present new martial options, including feats and epic destinies for martial characters. This chapter also introduces two new systems: a set of combat styles, that allows you to pick a custom fighting technique to fit your character's background and weapon choice; and martial practices, which are routines and exercises your martial character knows how to do, or special talents your character possesses. Look for examples of these at the start of next year!

...looking forward to it!

Remove ads