Decline of RPG sales

Belen

Adventurer
eyebeams said:
Oh -- cooperatuve promotion of the hobby is supposed to be one of GAMA's jobs, isn't it?

Yes, but GAMA is a joke. They focus on the retailers, but never seem to find there tail end where is concerns anything else. Besides, GAMA promotes all games and I do not think that RPGs are much of a concern for them any longer.

Belen

Adventurer
eyebeams said:
Actually, those "ragers" are the pros you theoretically wishes would chime in, like Rasyr. At this point, I doubt that you or Joe have any real interest in hearing what anyone who works in gaming has to say that doesn't support your current positions, as especially after looking at the last time Joe started threads like this, wherin he yet again ignored anyone pros who didn't tell him how well things were going.

But hey, I see you folks are now going 2 for 2 by telling Phil Reed he doesn't know what he's talking about either, so none of us should get our hopes up, should we?

I keep thinking I should get a colleage to start an account here are parrot the whole, "The Industry is doing great and there's enough room for all the small press outfits!" line people are so fond of, and see how he/she is instantly acclaimed as being informative and wise.

Enh. I'll be over with Tim.

That's because no one from Steve Jackson, WOTC, or WW seems to be posting about the issue. And John is correct about game store owners. Even WOTC RPG orders have been halved in my area lately. The gamestores that are managing to stay afloat are diversifying away from RPGs and even TCGs. The only TCG that seem to be selling is Magic.

Belen

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
Gee, how did I know this was coming? Let me guess, you think there should be an RPG Society or some such thing.

You know, I have so much material right now that it would literally take me years to make use of it all. To run an Iron Kingdoms game, an Exalted game, a Call of Cthulhu game, a d20 Modern game, an Iron Lords of Jupiter game, not to mention EPIC Modern or DINO-PIRATES OF NINJA ISLAND (or whatever JPL's next brainwave is), is going to take me years to do.

Fine....let's just imagine that the concern does not revolve around you or even many ENWorlders. Maybe I want my future kids to be able to find a D&D group etc. You have established that you do not agree with me on several occasions, so why bother posting?

JoeGKushner

First Post
JohnNephew said:
I participate in a private industry forum where there are monthly polls on retailer sales. Month after month after month this year, the numbers have been weighted on the downside.

Which I wasn't arguing with. Even in the downside though, there are still publishers doing well even if they are in the minority or are printing to demand (similiar to manufacturing with a JIT, just in time, system). and selling out, even if it's of a smaller print run.

Which still doesn't count the big dog, WoTC, claiming that they've had their best year ever, without miniatures.

Perhaps D&D is it's own industry with the rest of the companies falling in a way distant second.

buzz

Adventurer
eyebeams said:
But hey, I see you folks are...
I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from lumping me in with any nebulous "you" you wish to discredit. I'm just pointing out that the disbelief goes both ways.

I've also said nothing in reference to Mr. Reed. If anything, I'm eager to hear what he says.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
BelenUmeria said:
Maybe I want my future kids to be able to find a D&D group etc.
As long as WotC is doing well, this should not be a problem. Assuming that the industry is in threat of dying, WotC, or whomever ends up owning D&D, will survive. Just be sure to teach your kids how to play.

BelenUmeria said:
You have established that you do not agree with me on several occasions, so why bother posting?
IMO, becasue barsoomcore has a proven track record of knowing what time it is, IYKWIM.

BelenUmeria said:
You have established that you do not agree with me on several occasions, so why bother posting?
I'm not following where you're going with that line of thought. If someone disagrees with you they shouldn't post? Your debatable statements should be let to stand without contesting?

I always appreciate it when Corey posts. He's one of my favorite posters. The only times I don't find his posts insightful and interesting is when they are funny and interesting. If I had to make a list of people that I only know online but I'd like to meet and hang out with in real life, he'd be near the top of that list. Especially if it means playing in his stewardess game, naturally. :)

In other words, I'm very glad he bothers posting. And I tend to agree with him 100% in this regard. The Gaming Hobby != the Gaming Industry, and I'm fine with that.

JoeGKushner

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
That's because no one from Steve Jackson, WOTC, or WW seems to be posting about the issue. And John is correct about game store owners. Even WOTC RPG orders have been halved in my area lately. The gamestores that are managing to stay afloat are diversifying away from RPGs and even TCGs. The only TCG that seem to be selling is Magic.

An interesting thing about store orders is that WoTC noted that more than half their sales come from nontraditional venues. I imagine that's probably things like amazon,buy,walmart, and other online sellers.

Belen

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
I'm not following where you're going with that line of thought. If someone disagrees with you they shouldn't post? Your debatable statements should be let to stand without contesting?

Nope, I was refering to his disdain for my idea regarding an RPG society and decision to denigrate it every time I mention it anything like it. It's like me following him around complaining about his campaign world...constantly...every time he mentions it,

Belen

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
An interesting thing about store orders is that WoTC noted that more than half their sales come from nontraditional venues. I imagine that's probably things like amazon,buy,walmart, and other online sellers.

I am sure that online retailers have hit the store orders hard, but that happened a while ago. They have had their orders cut in half recently, especially their preorders from people who want the book when it is released rather than waiting a month for amazon.

Remove ads