• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Decoupling Smite from spell slots?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Smite Spells all take bonus actions. So it's definitely not something that could be meaningfully done in combat.

I bet he also has some restrictions on using more than 1 at a time to prevent the precasting more than 1 scenario you are envisioning. Probably just didn't seem worth elaborating to that level of detail.
Well, to be fair, I dont even have to put this kind of anti-cheese clause in my houserule at my table. I guess my players understood the idea and intention behind the switch and do not try to cheese it.

anyway, as you say, it requires a bonus action to cast a smite spell and, out of combat, I use 10-minutes rounds, to by the time a player gets another turn, the pre-cast smite is pretty ended. So in combat I guess a player could wait multiple turn to cast a bunch of smite spells to prepare a super-hit, but I really doubt my players would even think of this kinda things.

Smite Spells all take bonus actions. So it's definitely not something that could be meaningfully done in combat.

I bet he also has some restrictions on using more than 1 at a time to prevent the precasting more than 1 scenario you are envisioning. Probably just didn't seem worth elaborating to that level of detail.
Smite spells are all concentration, so you can't stack them.

Plus there's the risk of losing them on a hit, which is another reason they're not as popular as Divine Smite.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd personally like to remove the smite spells from existence.

My Battlesmith would want to have words with you. Paladins aren't the only ones who use those spells, and the general concept of a spell that makes you hit harder seems like a reasonable thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think you want prof bonus times per day/"long rest" at a set damage. Extra d6 radiant (+Wis modifier?). Period.

If you want to do more extra damage than the feature, get an added d6 per spell slot level you care to expend, or use the smite spells, as intended, for additional/special effects.

Meanwhile, the Rogue is gaining an extra d6 of sneak attack every other level, with no limit on the number of uses per rest, no spell slots to make it happen. Some small situational arrangement must be made, but those aren't hard to get.

By comparison a single d6, with no scaling with level, a limited number of times per day, falls behind really, really fast.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Meanwhile, the Rogue is gaining an extra d6 of sneak attack every other level, with no limit on the number of uses per rest, no spell slots to make it happen. Some small situational arrangement must be made, but those aren't hard to get.

By comparison a single d6, with no scaling with level, a limited number of times per day, falls behind really, really fast.
A Paladin still gets fighting style, channel divinity, extra attack, aura, improved divine smite and spells. He'd be absolutely fine in comparison to a Rogue even if he couldn't divine smite at all. IMO, Giving him a few 'free' d6 damage dice per day is probably the only way to keep things balanced while both decoupling divine smite from spell slots and not outright removing the feature entirely.

Spohedus

Explorer
It's not been plainly said, but I agree that simply removing the Smite feature, thereby leaving paladins to use their spell slots to (GASP) cast smite spells with their bonus action makes them balanced with other top classes. It's over the top as-is.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Or what about just give them Cleric Smite. You get to add a d8 of a damage type based on your oath every time you make a weapon attack at (some arbitrary level).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's not been plainly said,
I think it has ;)

*Note: Paladin spells are already very strong. One could remove divine smite entirely with no additions and Paladins would still be fine.
but I agree that simply removing the Smite feature, thereby leaving paladins to use their spell slots to (GASP) cast smite spells with their bonus action makes them balanced with other top classes. It's over the top as-is.
(y)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A Paladin still gets fighting style, channel divinity, extra attack, aura, improved divine smite and spells. He'd be absolutely fine in comparison to a Rogue even if he couldn't divine smite at all.

I mean, if you compare all of what a paladin gets to one rogue power... yes, it'll look like the paladin does fine. Uneven cherry picking doesn't convince me you are correct. Mind you, I don't think doing an extensive theoretical breakdown of the two classes actually does the thread any good, either, so I'm not going to go there.

IMO, Giving him a few 'free' d6 damage dice per day is

... insignificant after level 2 or 3, so why bother with it at all?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads