• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deeds not words?

Whatever happened to this?

I was interested in picking it up, but it seems to have dropped off the face of the planet.

I'm not interested in M&M 2E, as I've already got 1E. And I've got 4 colors to fantasy, which seems to have fallen by the wayside too.

Is it worth actually trying to get hold of this thing? Cryptosnark seems to no longer exist, although they do have a website.

Bretbo

First Post
The designer/owner of Deeds Not Words has moved on to other projects; writing novels.

The game is designed to work with D&D 3.0. There was talk of updating it to D20 Modern, but that never happened. There is another group converting the system to D20 Modern, calling it the Pheonix Project; they have a Yahoo Group here.

That about covers it, I think.

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition is awesome (though I wish they could've reused some of the art from the 1st edition book; the new edition isn't nearly as pretty). I say this as the lead writer of Four-Color to Fantasy, which I thought was pretty snazzy at the time. MnM is much slicker, and MnM2 is like a well-oiled machine. I recommend you pick up a copy.

Never tried Deeds Not Words, though. I got a copy long ago, when they were a rival for the 'PDF superhero rulebook' title, but I don't have it any longer.

TheRealOrion

First Post
I have yet to play M&M but yeah, I hear wondiferous things about it. However, I am the guy who's adapted DNW into Phoenix. The story of how I inherited the game is weird and off-topic, but if you're at all interested, I encourage you to download the most recent iteration of the game (it's still in beta-testing but I want to have a finished 1.0 in the New Year). It's currently free and really, really unlikely to ever cost money. I mostly designed it for myself, so that I could play a superhero game that was nearly 100% d20 compatible (I think we got about 90%). Enjoy, and please do tell me what you think of it if you look.

Phoenix v0.1 (beta 8)

Voadam

Legend
I own it, it is still available on rpgnow.com. It basically tries to balance base superheroes against normal 3.0 magic equipped D&D characters, similar to the way Iron Heroes tries to make higher powered fantasy warrior classes without magic items balanced against D&D classes with magic items.

I have a PC in one of my D&D games playing a warforged DNW armor adept class with no gun equipment and it has been fun. I toned it down some similar to doing so for an IH class a PC wanted to play alongside the other more normal D&D classes of their parties.

I hadn't heard of the Phoenix project before but I will check it out.

RangerWickett said:
Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition is awesome (though I wish they could've reused some of the art from the 1st edition book; the new edition isn't nearly as pretty). I say this as the lead writer of Four-Color to Fantasy, which I thought was pretty snazzy at the time. MnM is much slicker, and MnM2 is like a well-oiled machine. I recommend you pick up a copy.

In general, I really like Steve Kenson's stuff but M&M 2E? Bleh.

1E is fiddly enough, and paging through 2E was a complete turnoff. I realize that everyone and their brother thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it's the 800 lb gorilla of supers gaming these days (I guess Hero is probably next in line), but I'll stick with 1E. I've got the Annual and a few other books, and at least 1E is still close to the D&D base.

M&M _does_ seem to be a pretty nifty game overall. I just don't feel there's any reason to upgrade to the more fiddly version. I realize that makes me strange in the world of gaming, but there you have it.

I don't believe in "dead games" either. :D

TheRealOrion said:
I have yet to play M&M but yeah, I hear wondiferous things about it. However, I am the guy who's adapted DNW into Phoenix. The story of how I inherited the game is weird and off-topic, but if you're at all interested, I encourage you to download the most recent iteration of the game (it's still in beta-testing but I want to have a finished 1.0 in the New Year). It's currently free and really, really unlikely to ever cost money. I mostly designed it for myself, so that I could play a superhero game that was nearly 100% d20 compatible (I think we got about 90%). Enjoy, and please do tell me what you think of it if you look.

Phoenix v0.1 (beta 8)

Thanks for that!

Voadam said:
I own it, it is still available on rpgnow.com. It basically tries to balance base superheroes against normal 3.0 magic equipped D&D characters, similar to the way Iron Heroes tries to make higher powered fantasy warrior classes without magic items balanced against D&D classes with magic items.

No, actually it's not still available at rpgnow. You can do a google search for it, and it'll pop up, and rpgnow even has (or had as of yesterday) it as a Featured Product, but I sent an email to them explaining that it doesn't exist, and the reply was that the publisher had disabled the product. Apparently, only that product. You can still get the other DNW stuff.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Vigilance said:
If you're looking for d20 supers that stick closer to the core of d20, may I humbly suggest Blood and Vigilance.

Preach on.
Vigilance makes good stuff. I used Blood and Vigilance to run a D20Modern supers game months ago. Its rocks. And it's easy to integrate. It slaps right on top of the D20 Modern rules set.
Plus Vigilance is usually around here or other boards to answer polite questions.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy. I'm getting help.

Voadam

Legend
Scurvy_Platypus said:
In general, I really like Steve Kenson's stuff but M&M 2E? Bleh.

1E is fiddly enough, and paging through 2E was a complete turnoff. I realize that everyone and their brother thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it's the 800 lb gorilla of supers gaming these days (I guess Hero is probably next in line), but I'll stick with 1E. I've got the Annual and a few other books, and at least 1E is still close to the D&D base.

M&M _does_ seem to be a pretty nifty game overall. I just don't feel there's any reason to upgrade to the more fiddly version. I realize that makes me strange in the world of gaming, but there you have it.

I don't believe in "dead games" either. :D

Thanks for that!

No, actually it's not still available at rpgnow. You can do a google search for it, and it'll pop up, and rpgnow even has (or had as of yesterday) it as a Featured Product, but I sent an email to them explaining that it doesn't exist, and the reply was that the publisher had disabled the product. Apparently, only that product. You can still get the other DNW stuff.

I stand corrected, I thought I had seen it up there recently, must just have been the Cryptosnark publisher entry or the DNW Smackdown product.

Remove ads