• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Default "PoL" Setting - Setting Info Compilation (Now Wikified!)

krocha

First Post
Warforged

Should Warforged be added to the races list? As of Dragon 364 they where given a backstory in the "First Work" world as living constructs created by Nerath Artificers almost 300 years ago (give or take.)

krocha

First Post
Elsir Vale

I haven't been able to find a single definitive reference to the implied "First Work" setting in any of the Scales of War material released to date. I've posted and WotC site about this and no one else seems to be able to point to a definitive link either. Can anyone here point me to one or are we all just assuming that because it an official AP and has a similar name to Nentir Vale that they are set on the same world.

I'm probably just missing something.

Thanks...

Well, I think it was in Worlds & Monsters, but it might just have been the DMG (pretty sure it was W%M, though) there's a mention of "Who's really behind the Red Hand?"

Since the Red hand it mentioned, Elsir Vale must be part of the world as well.

By the same logic, all the characters and places of WotC's 3.0 Adventure Path (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury etc.) exist in the First Work setting as well. The way I see it, everything mentioned in Dungeon and Dragon that it not specifically for a named setting (FR fx) is for the PoL setting. And since there was a "Treasures of Ashardalon" article, Ashardalon and all that's connected to him must be part of the history of the First Work as well.

Or not?

krocha

First Post
Well, I think it was in Worlds & Monsters, but it might just have been the DMG (pretty sure it was W%M, though) there's a mention of "Who's really behind the Red Hand?"

Since the Red hand it mentioned, Elsir Vale must be part of the world as well.

That would do it... I'll go back through Worlds and Monsters and see if I can find it.

Update: I found it in the DMG but not in a section that references anything of the known world. It's in a generic section about styles of games. I was really hoping for something more concrete, like a reference to Nerath or anything from the Nentir Vale.

Last edited:

Having reread the chapter in the DMG, I must say I think the Red Hand is included!

The same chapter talks about Orcus in the same vein as the Red Hand. Ana as we know, Orcus is very much a part of the world!

Similarily, there's talk of the Rod of Seven Parts and the Queen of Chaos. Surely you wouldn't say that the Rod of Seven Parts and the Queen of Chaos and by that extension the Windlords of Aquaa (sp?) isn't part of the First World?

By that logic, the Red Hand must be part as well.

Khashul

First Post
Will we see any of the DMG2 stuff going up there any time soon? I would do it but don't have regular access to the internet to contribute.

Remove ads