• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Default "PoL" Setting - Setting Info Compilation (Now Wikified!)

SWBaxter

First Post
Great thread. Wish I'd found it before I spent a day combing through the core books for tidbits to add to my own setting. Some additions:

- Dwarves were created by Moradin. In addition to the azers, galeb duhr are also former dwarves still in the service of giants.

- Moradin gave the first dwarves five tools. One of them is the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords.

- Halflings were created by Melora and Sehanine, who eventually lost interest in the halflings (according to legend, anyway). Avandra adopted them.

- It's probably a safe bet that Bahamut created the Dragonborn, but I don't know if this is spelled out anywhere.

- Lolth was the goddess of fate, before her corruption.

- Vecna is not one of the original gods, he ascended to godhood (his hand and eye date from before that time). Some of his history could be imported to taste (vast necromantic empire, betrayal by Kas, etc.).

- I think the Tomb of Horrors gets a mention somewhere in the DMG, so Acererak could also be imported.

- Gruumsh's forces are eternally besieging Bane's Iron Fortress of Chernoggar in the Astral Sea.

- Avandra, Melora, Torog, and Vecna have no known home in the Astral Sea.

- One of the heroes of ancient times was Arnd, a poor cleric of Kord known for his fighting spirit and holy strength.

- The yuan-ti ruled "ancient, sprawling empires" in prehistoric times. Their kings ultimately went mad.

- Stars (from Warlock spells): Acamar (dark and distant), Delban, Khirad (dire portent), Thubad (above frozen emerald seas)

- Hellish names (from Warlock spells): Agathys, Avernus, Dis, Malbolge, Phlegethos

- Wizard names (from Wizard spells): Bigby, Mordenkainen, Otiluke, Evard

SWBaxter

First Post
Since Elsir Vale is apparently part of WOTC's implied setting, some history tidbits from Red Hand of Doom that could be imported:

- There was a major dwarf kingdom in the mountains near Elsir Vale more than a thousand years ago. They built the Dawn Way, the major road through the vale, as part of a trade route linking heavily settled lands to the northwest with exotic coastal kingdoms to the southeast.

- The dwarf-realm is long gone, but many of their monuments, bridges, fortresses, etc. survive to this day.

- About 500 years ago, the human-dominated kingdom of Rhestilor rose in the area, many settlements date from that time.

- Rhestilor collapsed due to a variety of factors, not least among them a savage horde that burned the city of Rhest about 200 years ago. Local nobles still hold titles derived from the kingdom, but it is no more.

- there are ruins of a serpent empire "thousands of years old" in the Vale.

Entropi

First Post
A bit of home-spun lore that helps give the world a feeling of progress and rebuilding, as well as providing a hook for possible military adventures.

FORT HOPE
Fort Hope is a military installation built and garrisoned by Fallcrest and the Heartlands three years ago. It's establishment north of Fallcrest, at the confluence of the Nentir and the Winter rivers, has solidified the northern border and increased the tenability of the northern Heartlands. Humanoid raids from the Gray Plains have been curtailed, and numerous monsters have been displaced by aggressive patrols.

HOOK
There is work to be had for able-bodied adventurers here. The military relies on volunteers, often adventurers and mercs, and PCs can sign on for short-term stints patrolling the Gray Plains and the Gardmore Plains. They are typically grouped with a small contingent of regular army soldiers and a Captain, who is in command. Pay is low, but treasure taken from lairs may be kept by volunteers as part of the incentive program.

Oompa

First Post
A bit of home-spun lore that helps give the world a feeling of progress and rebuilding, as well as providing a hook for possible military adventures.

FORT HOPE
Fort Hope is a military installation built and garrisoned by Fallcrest and the Heartlands three years ago. It's establishment north of Fallcrest, at the confluence of the Nentir and the Winter rivers, has solidified the northern border and increased the tenability of the northern Heartlands. Humanoid raids from the Gray Plains have been curtailed, and numerous monsters have been displaced by aggressive patrols.

HOOK
There is work to be had for able-bodied adventurers here. The military relies on volunteers, often adventurers and mercs, and PCs can sign on for short-term stints patrolling the Gray Plains and the Gardmore Plains. They are typically grouped with a small contingent of regular army soldiers and a Captain, who is in command. Pay is low, but treasure taken from lairs may be kept by volunteers as part of the incentive program.

I like people who think about homebrew stuff, but can we please keep the information from the 4th edition core books..

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Hopefully the Wiki will be up soon. I'm looking forward to seeing this getting compiled.

I think each entry should include:

Name of Entry
Official Information - This would be everything mentioned in an official WOTC product about the subject at hand.
Sources - Where did you get the info?
Unofficial Information - Post homebrew maps, plot hooks, adventure ideas, npcs, etc. Remove and/or update if official information is released that invalidates fan submissions.

Thoughts?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Hopefully the Wiki will be up soon. I'm looking forward to seeing this getting compiled.

I think each entry should include:

Name of Entry
Official Information - This would be everything mentioned in an official WOTC product about the subject at hand.
Sources - Where did you get the info?
Unofficial Information - Post homebrew maps, plot hooks, adventure ideas, npcs, etc. Remove and/or update if official information is released that invalidates fan submissions.

Thoughts?

I think this is a very good idea.

fba827

Adventurer
Some maps that are zoomed in on the Winterhaven, Keep of Shadowfell, and Fallscrest areas ...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34861&d=1213275430
http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34868&d=1213284177
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/preview_h1_2.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/preview_h1_1.jpg

If, for whatever reason the above links to attachments don't work, the original thread that they are found on is http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230622

By the way, once the wiki feature is functional here, this would be a great topic to stick on there!

Aristotle

First Post
Looking forward to the wiki. I agree that fan submitted material might be fun to review, but should be cleanly divided. This should be a fun project to contribute to.

Remove ads