Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Sialia

First Post
You are all very kind, and I thank you for reading. Sito is correct--I do have another large chunk already written that I just can't post due to some incidental spoiler effects.

I don't know how much more of the Early Years we are going to be able to scrape together--we've used up most of the written notes the two of us had--there's a bit more we might be able to do vis a vis sketching out a timeline and summing up the history, but it's hard to reconstruct the actual play by play from this distance of time and space. The saddest part of this is that just where Arcade's notes stop is just where things started to get really complicated and interesting. Politics entered the world, and the world got bigger and more multilayered. And there were a lot of dopplegangers and an epic adventure that was supposed to be the end of the campaign in about 1998. Hah.

Bandeeto you can always reach through me. Posting here, or in Piratecat's thread will also reach us. Or you can write to me at mscurio you-know-the-symbol yahoo.com.

Ashy was terribly sweet to translate some of Dylrath's spells for Portable Hole Fulll of Beer last year. I'm not sure of the link at this point, but I'm sure we can come up with it somewhere.

Feel free to ask questions about early Defender's history here--sometimes there's things I know that I forget I know until someone asks. My online access is severely limited at the moment, but I'll do the best I can.

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Thanks for stopping by. This old history was new to me, and much enjoyed. Are there any other old gems of yours like this, hidden on the board?

Thanks,
GW

Last edited:

Targeteron

Explorer
I know this thread is old, but hell are these storys great. i especially liked the last few dylrath storys. Ever thought about writing professionally? The characters come through amazing and the exchanges are very believable. I am anxious to read someday how this whole Teliaz scenario panned out! :)

Bandeeto

First Post
Targeteron said:
I know this thread is old, but hell are these storys great. i especially liked the last few dylrath storys. Ever thought about writing professionally? The characters come through amazing and the exchanges are very believable. I am anxious to read someday how this whole Teliaz scenario panned out! :)

Thanks for the kind words. It's good to see that folks are still enjoying this thread, even if only as a way to get a Defenders fix while waiting for P'Cat to update. ;)

Thanks also to Knight Otu for tracking down the "Dwarfy Swears Thread". Those things still crack me up.

We just returned from Boston, where I got to sit in and cameo Arcade once again. It's hard to find a place among the epics and near-epics that now constitute the Defenders, but I had a great time anyway. What's very amusing is the combination of lightning-fast coordinated strategy, and the completely random running-off-in-all-directions combat style they exhibit when taken by surprise. Also, we got to ressurect an old plot thread, one that's been bugging Arcade for years.

A hint: it involves Kestellan of the Academy of Flamecraft. Keep following the DoD thread and I'm sure P'Cat will get around to posting his version eventually. :D

As a general rule I only post when I have something to say, but I'm almost always around, and reading.

From "A Midwinter's Tale" directed by K. Branagh: "If you forget your lines, say, 'Crouch we here a while and lurk' until you remember them."

Sialia

First Post
Targeteron said:
I'm anxious to post it, too.

Thanks very much for reading--knowing that people enjoy reading it makes it worth writing it.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Bandeeto said:
What's very amusing is the combination of lightning-fast coordinated strategy, and the completely random running-off-in-all-directions combat style they exhibit when taken by surprise.

And this is different from the combat style the Defenders have always shown? I suppose it must be my fault, as I'm the only remaining original player. Sagiro's been around nearly as long as I have. The Chaos is me, the Coordination must be Sagiro.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sialia said:
I'm anxious to post it, too.

Thanks very much for reading--knowing that people enjoy reading it makes it worth writing it.

So now that Piratecat has posted four updates in a row, are we any closer to seeing this thread continue. (I know you are waiting for some event, I'm just not sure if it's happened yet.)

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Pretty close. I have to reach a specific point that's not far away in order for the story to be in context, but it'll be worth it; it's so damn good that just reading it made me gape. One of the things that helped break me out of my creative doldrums was wanting to get to that point so that other people could read it too.

BSF

Explorer
I'm looking forward to it!

I want to see how this dovetails into the story and what chaos Dylrath has wrought. Sometimes the world needs a little shaking up to keep things interesting.

Remove ads