Definitive Game Theory

So I curious to see if anyone also does this.
I own a decent selection of TTRPGs, in terms of physical media. By my shelf space has an upper limit, as does my time, so on occasion, I have to weed things out.
I 'generally" don't have a need for a game if I feel I already have the concept covered. To explain, I have 5e DnD as my default fantasy ttrpg. I'm not motivated to get any others.
Does anyone else, who nominally has a diverse game library which is not dedicated to a single game, find that when they have a genre or style covered, feel actively discouraged with getting anything else that would just scratch the same itch? If you have Traveler and it works for you, do you avoid buying any other space based Scifi games?

Yora

Legend
I don't buy things at random. I only buy games if I think they might work better for a type of campaign that I want to run than the options I already have.

In some rare cases the premise of a game alone makes me curious about a type of campaign I had not considered before, like Apocalypse World or Blades in the Dark. But in those cases I don't have any games that would cover that campaign type yet.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I usually stick to my favorites yes. As mentioned, Traveller is my sci-fi go to. Pathfinder classic is my go to for fantasy. Etc...

However, I do try many systems and on occasion usurp the leader of the pile. Though, I tend to only collect the games I like to play/run and just browse and piecemeal others.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Does anyone else, who nominally has a diverse game library which is not dedicated to a single game, find that when they have a genre or style covered, feel actively discouraged with getting anything else that would just scratch the same itch? If you have Traveler and it works for you, do you avoid buying any other space based Scifi games?

Not really, no. If I have some game or games that do a genre well, I may become a little more picky, but Star Trek Adventures, Star Wars Saga, Ashen Stars, Savage Worlds, and Alternity all may handle space opera, they all handle it differently, and I like having those differences to choose between and examine.

Remove ads