• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deities and Demigods ~ Thank You God!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Nightchilde-2 said:

Not if the gods are played correctly will some little piddly mortals be killing one.

Seriously.

They are bad-assed.
I hope they will be played "correctly" by everyone; the last thing we need here is "Bothered About Disposable Deities!" :D

Crothian

First Post
Darkness said:
I hope they will be played "correctly" by everyone; the last thing we need here is "Bothered About Disposable Deities!" :D

"Thor, what a wuss. He just stood there doing nothing as we slowely killed him over the course of three months. I now have his Hammer and am 50th level!!":rolleyes:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'd definately join...though fortunately the SL gods already have been put in the "Cannot be killed by mortals/Avatars only" ruling.

Aaron L

Hero
I got d&Dg today and must say I am beyond happy with it. I feared it would just be a simple Divine MM, but it has very good rules for creating pantheons, gods, and their interrelations. Limiting amounts of divine power available in the multiverse so their can only be so many gods at one time, monothiesm vs polytheism vs dualism, etc. I am very happy with it.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I don't understand how everyone can whine about how FR is a high-magic campaign, where all you Greyhawkophiles have a book full of stats for your gods so you can travel to their plane and stab them with your +35 swords and steal all their phat lewt. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, Faiths & Pantheons will be the same thing, but, well, that's why I won't use it. Faiths & Avatars (and the companion books) were excellent. 3-4 pages of VERY dense text about each god, their priesthood, dogma, places of worship, holy days, etc. The stats were kept down to a paragraph or two, and those were just for the AVATARS. The avatars in 2e seem about as powerful as the GODS in 3e. Sure, an extremely lucky party might be able to kill the Rogue 35/Mage 21/Cleric 20/Fighter 8 avatar of Cyric....

but since he's a greater god, he can have 10 of them at a time, and you'd better believe the other 9 will show up to kick the crap out of these uppity adventurers. The gods themselves are IMMORTAL, which is how a god should be.

I'm really curious as to why WOTC decided to put stats for gods in this book. Pretty much every post on the threads for this book say something along the lines of "nice book...I'll never use the stats, but everything else is good." So why waste so much space on them? Did they do ANY market research? Is it just to placate the horde of old-schoolers out there?

Hi there! :)

MeepoTheMighty said:
I'm really curious as to why WOTC decided to put stats for gods in this book. Pretty much every post on the threads for this book say something along the lines of "nice book...I'll never use the stats, but everything else is good."

Well, not quite every post! ;)

MeepoTheMighty said:
So why waste so much space on them? Did they do ANY market research? Is it just to placate the horde of old-schoolers out there?

I think it is to allow campaigns every option - something that the 2nd Ed. interpretation of D&Dg didn't do.

Wolfspider

Explorer
I'm really curious as to why WOTC decided to put stats for gods in this book. Pretty much every post on the threads for this book say something along the lines of "nice book...I'll never use the stats, but everything else is good." So why waste so much space on them? Did they do ANY market research? Is it just to placate the horde of old-schoolers out there?

Even if every single person who has registered at ENWorld posted that they hated the new D&Dg book, that would still represent only a small percentage of D&D players and DMs. Who knows what the real market research shows about the desires of D&D gamers in general?

hong

WotC's bitch
1 theory is that D&Dg is really an excuse for the designers to indulge their gearhead side. IOW, it's GURPS Vehicles (or the Vehicles Compendium) for D&D geeks. :D

I only glanced through the book for a few minutes since I had no real interest in buying it. I was curious though. Is the primary CoC D20 God the #1 God created by WOTC now? As I glanced through the d&dg I did not see a single god that approached the 2,666 HP of Azathoth.

Remove ads