Demogorgon picture

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Something like that. I vaguely remember something about Monte making a mistake when proofing and description went to the artist with hyena heads instead of babboon.

LoneWolf23

First Post
Personally, I have to wonder what the problem is with Demogorgon's appearance in the BoVD... He definetly looks fiersomely demonic to me.

Besides, the guy can Shapechange at will, so if you don't like the way he looks now, just change him into something else. Heck, I'd expect a Demon Lord to change appearances almost randomly, considering how Chaotic they are.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
See, to me he just looks like an emaciated bendy-toy I used to play with as a child. Cept he has tentacles and a different head.

And the shapechange isn't the issue really. I like having illustrations to hold up for my players, and the demogorgon picture wasn't really doing it for me.

If it works for you, and I'm sure there are several people who agree with you, all well and good. To me - not scary. Simple as that.

Ruined

Explorer
I don't mind the pictures that have been presented over the years, but I've always had alternate versions of Demogorgon in my mind. His realm is aquatic, right? At least I believe it was listed as such in Planescape. I know the Wastriliths from Planescape were really mean denizens of his realm. They were gigantic armored serpents, and I extracted some designs from that.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The pic in the BOVD is pretty bad. I much prefer the BGII look for him. Hell I'll even take the 1e MM look over the BOVD. Demogorgon is not a bendy toy! :)

A2Z

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
There was a picture in a fairly recent Dragon Magazine that was really good. Much better than the BoVD picture, IMO.
Do you know which issue that was Josh? I don't remember seeing a picture of Demogorgon. Before 3E I never new what Demogorgon was supposed to look like. Given his watery domain and his lordship of the Ixitxachitl I always assumed he would ressemble some sort of deep water dweller. But ocean going baboons? Where'd they get that from? :confused:

Ruined

Explorer
A2Z said:
Given his watery domain and his lordship of the Ixitxachitl I always assumed he would ressemble some sort of deep water dweller. But ocean going baboons? Where'd they get that from? :confused:

Yep, I agree. I look at the tentacled baboon and it makes me think of something they would have used in early-1980s claymation, like some of the critters from Clash of the Titans. It was probably cool at the time, but seems rather outdated now.

Remove ads