Demogorgon picture

A2Z

Explorer
Originally posted by Gizzard
Seriously though, Dispater is a better example of the "personality" issue which afflicts 3E Orcus. I wouldnt want to put 1E Dispater in my portfolio and try to shop it around for art jobs; its just not that good a picture technically. But it does have a lot of personality, while the 3E version has about zero. 3E Dispater is quite the generic monstrous villian, forgotten seconds after you see him. But people remember the 1E Dispater -- "Oh yeah, the little bald dude with the satyr legs" -- even 20 years later.
Is this the same as the picture that appears in the BoVD? And if anyone's curious this picture was pulled from the WotC art gallery for the first Monster Manual. I think he looks pretty good myself.

Dispator.jpg

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Gizzard said:

Oh, he probably just drew the new Orcus and was jealous of my verdict in favor of the old Orcus. So I'll repeat it: 1E Orcus crushes 3E Orcus despite being drawn with crayons! ;-)

(Or maybe he is Orcus and he thought the 1E pic was unflattering -- Orcus:" Minion, tell the truth, does my butt look that fat?")

Seriously though, Dispater is a better example of the "personality" issue which afflicts 3E Orcus. I wouldnt want to put 1E Dispater in my portfolio and try to shop it around for art jobs; its just not that good a picture technically. But it does have a lot of personality, while the 3E version has about zero. 3E Dispater is quite the generic monstrous villian, forgotten seconds after you see him. But people remember the 1E Dispater -- "Oh yeah, the little bald dude with the satyr legs" -- even 20 years later.

The same thing with Orcus. The 3E guy perfect portfolio fodder because he's technically fine and he could be friggen anything -- "Here, look, I can draw generic demons." But if the editor switched it accidentally with the pic of Bal, would anyone notice? Nope. Because he's more a random big demon than he is Orcus. So, the 1E version wins out.

Gizzard is da' MAN!

Actually the art from the BOVD was pretty mediocre. No character at all for the most part.

Kai Lord

Hero
Gizzard said:
The same thing with Orcus. The 3E guy perfect portfolio fodder because he's technically fine and he could be friggen anything -- "Here, look, I can draw generic demons." But if the editor switched it accidentally with the pic of Bal, would anyone notice? Nope. Because he's more a random big demon than he is Orcus. So, the 1E version wins out.

Oh come on. Its the 1E version that's totally generic. It could represent any stupid looking fat guy with a goat head. :cool:

Remove ads