• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demons: Looking At Using Some Old Role-Aids Products In My Next Game...

Flynn

First Post
Dexterward said:
Ok, I will post the conversions here for all the world to see :heh: . I will need to dig the notes out from my old campaign, so I will have to post them tomorrow.

Glade at least a few people are interested!

How are things going? I'm probably going to post a few of my old, old, early 3E conversions, after I go over them to bring them up to date with v3.5 (and having some actual gaming experience with 3E.) I made my original ones within a few weeks of the release of the 3E Monster Manual, and so there's a lot of things I've learned about monster creation since then.

Looking Forward To It,
Flynn

Voadam

Legend
I have found Book of Fiends and Slayer's Guide to Demons (great demon flavor, poor mechanics) to have good stuff for fiendish 3.5 games as well as the Dice Freaks documents on Hell. I've even gotten some use out of FFE's Encyclopedia's of Demons and Devils.

Dexterward

First Post
Round one

I have been searching through my last campaign notes looking for the demon conversions. I will start off with two easy ones - the Falshan and Scourge.

Both of these demons are rank and file troop types and were very common in my campaign. Each one has 8 HD and few supernatural abilities other then tanar'ri traits. By far these were the easiest of the demons to convert! The other demons were generals, lords, dukes, etc. and are unique creatures so took a lot more care to convert.

Falshan – Type III Demon
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 8d8+24 (60 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), 40 ft. fly (good) (8 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dex, +7 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d6+5) or +1 military fork +14 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (1d6+5) or +1 military fork +14/+9 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath fire, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 14, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +16, Intimidate +11, Jump +16, Listen +12, Search +12, Survival +10 (+12 following tracks)
Feats: Cleave, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary or gang (1-8)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 9-14 (Medium), 15-18 (Large)

Breath Fire (Su): Twice per day a Falshan can breathe fire, inflicting 2d10 point of fire damage in a 20’ cone.
Sent (Ex): All Type III Falshan demons have a highly developed sense of smell, and gain the sent ability. This helps Falshan track their prey in diabolic mimicry of the wild hunts performed on the material plane.
Spell-like Abilities (Su): At will—darkness, dispel magic, see invisibility, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 8th.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day a Falshan can attempt to summon 1 Falshan with a 40% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

Scourge
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 8d8+24 (60 hp)
Initiative: +9 (+5 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+5 Dex, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+14
Attack: +2 Fiery lash +16 melee (1d4+6 plus 1d6 fire) or 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: +2 Fiery lash +16/+12 melee (1d4+6 plus 1d6 fire) or 2 claws +14 (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fiery lash, spell-like abilities, summon tanar’ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 14, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +14, Climb +17, Intimidate +11, Jump +17, Listen +11, Search +11
Feats: Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip), Power Attack
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary or press gang (1-6)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 9-14 (Medium), 15-18 (Large)

Fiery lash: All scourges carry long, barbed, flaming whips and use them to motivate other demons. The scourge can attack with its fiery lash doing 1d4+6 damage plus 1d6 fire damage per hit. Normally a whip deals nonlethal damage, but the wicked barbs and flaming ability of the weapon cause lethal damage instead. The scourges lash is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, but it only threatens opponents as a normal melee weapon (i.e. 5’ threat range). The scourge can use the lash on any foe within its 15-foot reach. The scourge gets a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent using the fiery lash (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).
Spell-like Abilities (Su): At will—darkness, dispel magic, see invisibility, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 8th.
Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day a Scourge can attempt to summon 1 Scourge with a 50% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

I will continue to look through my notes and find some of the unique demons I converted. I will post them in a day or two. Hope this helps :lol:

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
Standard Traits

Here's some core thoughts I wanted to start with, in converting the basic traits of MFG's Demons to v3.5.

What do you think?

With Regards,
Flynn

Standard Demon Traits

• Plane Shift (Sp): Demons can shift between planes at will, but are bound by the Compact when present in the plane prime, unless summoned here by a native of the plane.
  • Alter Self (Sp): Demons can alter their appearance, as per the spell Alter Self, at will.
  • Detect Alignment (Sp): Demons can detect alignments up to 120 feet in a manner similar to the spell Detect Good, with the exception that this ability provides information about the specific alignments within the area of effect.
  • Magic Circle Against Good (Su): Demons act as if they carry a permanent magic circle against good (i.e. +2 deflection bonus to AC, +2 resistance bonus on saves, blocks any attempts to exercise mental control or possess the demon, and prevents bodily contact by summoned or conjured creatures of a non-evil alignment).
  • Immunity to Disease and Poison: Demons are immune to Disease and Poison.
  • Darkvision (Ex): Demons can see up to 60 ft in the dark.
  • Temptation (Su): Demons have the capacity to tempt mortals into corruption, a quarter (or more) of their souls at a time. Most is done through roleplay, but should it become necessary to shift to game mechanics, the mortal can resist temptation with a Will save at a DC equal to (10 + 1/2 the demon's hit dice + the demon's charisma modifier).
  • Possession (Sp): Demons can possess and use all thoughts, memories and abilities of the victim, similarly to the effects of Dominate Person. The victim may resist the effects of Possession by making a Will save against a DC of (15 + the demon's charisma modifier). Alternately, the DC could by equal to (10 + 1/2 the demon's hit dice + the demon's charisma modifier). Should the demon fail to possess the victim, the demon may not attempt to possess the victim again for five days.

And from the general Outsider traits...

• Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life.
  • Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

I would also suggest adding the following to the list:

• Resistance (Su): Demons possess an innate resistance of 10 versus Acid, Cold, Electricity and Fire, unless otherwise noted in their description.

Standard Additional Infernal Lord Traits

• Immortality: Demon lords slain on the plane prime reform in the Infernus, and may not re-enter the plane prime for a specific period of time, as specified in the Compact.
  • Teleportation (Sp): Demon lords can teleport as per the spell greater teleport, at will, as a standard action.
  • Gate (Sp): Once per day, demon lords can gate 2d6 of their followers to their location.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Flynn said:
Here's some core thoughts I wanted to start with, in converting the basic traits of MFG's Demons to v3.5.

What do you think?
I think this looks really sweet. It suggests maybe these fiends should all be unified as a new demonic subrace with a special subtype like "tanar'ri," "obyrith," or "loumara." Any term that can be looted from the Mayfair supplement?

Flynn

First Post
Garnfellow said:
I think this looks really sweet. It suggests maybe these fiends should all be unified as a new demonic subrace with a special subtype like "tanar'ri," "obyrith," or "loumara." Any term that can be looted from the Mayfair supplement?

Nah, they were just called Demons, or Infernals, if that suggests a possibility. Their home realm is called the Infernus, and is their prison when they are not in the Plane Prime looking for sin to feast on.

With Regards,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
In regards to converting the old Summon/Call spells, I figure that I'll simply need to enhance the Summon Monster lists to include the new Demons in the setting, at least those summoned by the spells in the MFG supplements. Doing so appears to be a matter primarily of CR.

TABLE: CREATURE CR BY SUMMON MONSTER SPELL LEVEL
Code:
SPELL		CR
------------------------
SM I 		1/2
SM II 		1
SM III 		2
SM IV 		3
SM V 		4-5
SM VI 		6-7
SM VII 		8-9
SM VIII		10-11
SM IX 		12-13

I'll see what I can do about covering some of these bases soon.

With Regards,
Flynn

Dexterward

First Post
Flynn said:
Standard Demon Traits

• Plane Shift (Sp): Demons can shift between planes at will, but are bound by the Compact when present in the plane prime, unless summoned here by a native of the plane.
  • Alter Self (Sp): Demons can alter their appearance, as per the spell Alter Self, at will.
  • Detect Alignment (Sp): Demons can detect alignments up to 120 feet in a manner similar to the spell Detect Good, with the exception that this ability provides information about the specific alignments within the area of effect.
  • Magic Circle Against Good (Su): Demons act as if they carry a permanent magic circle against good (i.e. +2 deflection bonus to AC, +2 resistance bonus on saves, blocks any attempts to exercise mental control or possess the demon, and prevents bodily contact by summoned or conjured creatures of a non-evil alignment).
  • Immunity to Disease and Poison: Demons are immune to Disease and Poison.
  • Darkvision (Ex): Demons can see up to 60 ft in the dark.
  • Temptation (Su): Demons have the capacity to tempt mortals into corruption, a quarter (or more) of their souls at a time. Most is done through roleplay, but should it become necessary to shift to game mechanics, the mortal can resist temptation with a Will save at a DC equal to (10 + 1/2 the demon's hit dice + the demon's charisma modifier).
  • Possession (Sp): Demons can possess and use all thoughts, memories and abilities of the victim, similarly to the effects of Dominate Person. The victim may resist the effects of Possession by making a Will save against a DC of (15 + the demon's charisma modifier). Alternately, the DC could by equal to (10 + 1/2 the demon's hit dice + the demon's charisma modifier). Should the demon fail to possess the victim, the demon may not attempt to possess the victim again for five days.

And from the general Outsider traits...

• Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life.
  • Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

I would also suggest adding the following to the list:

• Resistance (Su): Demons possess an innate resistance of 10 versus Acid, Cold, Electricity and Fire, unless otherwise noted in their description.

Standard Additional Infernal Lord Traits

• Immortality: Demon lords slain on the plane prime reform in the Infernus, and may not re-enter the plane prime for a specific period of time, as specified in the Compact.
  • Teleportation (Sp): Demon lords can teleport as per the spell greater teleport, at will, as a standard action.
  • Gate (Sp): Once per day, demon lords can gate 2d6 of their followers to their location.

Most of these are similar to what I converted. What I did was give the rank and file demons and devils traits straight from the Monster Manual I 3.5. I applied the Plane Shift, Alter Self, Detect Alignment, Magic Circle Against Good, Temptation, Possession, and Immortality only to the unique lords, generals, etc.

Dexterward

First Post
Flynn said:
In regards to converting the old Summon/Call spells, I figure that I'll simply need to enhance the Summon Monster lists to include the new Demons in the setting, at least those summoned by the spells in the MFG supplements. Doing so appears to be a matter primarily of CR.

TABLE: CREATURE CR BY SUMMON MONSTER SPELL LEVEL
Code:
SPELL		CR
------------------------
SM I 		1/2
SM II 		1
SM III 		2
SM IV 		3
SM V 		4-5
SM VI 		6-7
SM VII 		8-9
SM VIII		10-11
SM IX 		12-13

I'll see what I can do about covering some of these bases soon.

With Regards,
Flynn

The main problem I see is that most of the outsiders in the Role-Aids: Demons settings are unique beings, and as such can't be called using the normal Summon Monster rules. What I did was create different flavors of the Summon Planar Ally and Planar Binding spells.

Do you want to go through all of the Role-Aids: Demons products and convert each demon and devil as a little project? If so let me know, we can split up the books (the whole conqure and divide thing) and each take a few to convert.

By the way I have the following Role-Aids: Demon books:

Demons
Demons II
Demons - Denizens of Vecheron
Demons - Denizens of Og
Demons - Denizens of Diannor
Demons - Denizens of Verekna
Demons - Apocalypse

and the related books

Realms of Fantasy - To Hell and Back
Sentinels

Flynn

First Post
I've got all but Hell and Back, via the $13 deal I mentioned in my first post. (I also have some old photocopies from back in the day, but they are old and worn out.)

I'm not sure if I want to convert the uniques, but I definitely want to convert all the non-uniques, just to have them as options for my game. After that, we can definitely tackle the uniques as they come up in-game, or as our interests are so directed. :)

From memory, the non-uniques include:
Minions
Fiends
Warriors (1-5)
Seducers (1-5)
Leviathan
Soulhounds
Scourges
Gatekeepers
The Type I-V demons
Lieutenants (Lesser and Greater)
Thanes (Lesser and Greater)