• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deployed Military D&D Game Day! (needs you!)

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Hi Guys,
Things are progressing well, but I don't have much more info at this time.

I'm hoping the militarygameday.com website will be functional this weekend or early next week, at which time I can start compiling participants. I'll pass a dedicated email address at that point.

For those wishing to mail supplies, I'll post my APO address there as well next week. I deploy next weekend, so if you mail something too soon it might beat me there!

Since I'm not there yet, I don't have any contacts with gamers except those that have posted here. Please continue to spread the word and create a buzz.

Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas of how I can make this a great event.

Thanks again everyone!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Adobe 6 (IIRC, anyway -- I'd have to check my computer at work to see what the current DoD standard is, which is typically behind commercial a generation or two), no password protect, no comments to add.

Use Xorn & tovakas' maps. tovakas also volunteered to help and add art, so perhaps there are a few artists who can contribute too. (See the Reloaded thread linked above for the maps, file, etc).
Artwork would be awesome. I'll look around and see if I have anything to contribute in this department, but most of my art is rather...crappy? Is that the right word? Yes. Yes it is.

Since artwork might be getting added, I will put off creating the electronic file. I don't know what a reasonable deadline would be (when is Game Day, anyway?) but I'd like to have at least a week to do the formatting and page layouts.

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Thanks

Reaper Steve said:
Hi Guys,
Things are progressing well, but I don't have much more info at this time.

I'm hoping the militarygameday.com website will be functional this weekend or early next week, at which time I can start compiling participants. I'll pass a dedicated email address at that point.

For those wishing to mail supplies, I'll post my APO address there as well next week. I deploy next weekend, so if you mail something too soon it might beat me there!

Since I'm not there yet, I don't have any contacts with gamers except those that have posted here. Please continue to spread the word and create a buzz.

Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas of how I can make this a great event.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for getting in touch with the Wizards folks! I'm looking forward to DMing 4th edition, in Baghdad no less! While trying to figure out if I would even be able to game while deployed, I read up on Ziggurat Con from last year. Just when I was wondering if anyone was doing Worldwide D&D Game Day I found your post- you rock!

Let me know how I can help get ready for running in Baghdad while I'm still stateside the next couple of weeks. Just out of curiousity, how many volunteers and locations do you have so far?

-Colin

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Another Link

Reaper Steve also posted the notice over at Wizards.com:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1014903

Spread the word... maybe a mod can get a sticky for this thread... I'm concerned that not enough deployed members will see this while Steve's working on getting his contact list and the website up and running...

I'm wondering if there will be some flexibility for when a location might actually have their game day, due to operational requirements... Of course, June 6th is a Saturday, but there's no guarantee that the DM/players will be off-duty. I guess we'll see...

-Colin

Nosey Goblin

Explorer
Ahwe Yahzhe said:
Let me know how I can help get ready for running in Baghdad while I'm still stateside the next couple of weeks.

Hi Colin,

Yesterday I made the acquaintance of a US Combat Photographer who is down here at the Brit base in Basra. From chatting to him, about half his Baghdad-based unit are D&D players, so they could be good people to get in touch with when you get there if you want to get an in on the in-theatre gamer population. And I imagine they have decent contacts in publicity and the like that could help the endeavour.

Regards,

Shane

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Ahwe Yahzhe said:
I'm wondering if there will be some flexibility for when a location might actually have their game day, due to operational requirements... Of course, June 6th is a Saturday, but there's no guarantee that the DM/players will be off-duty. I guess we'll see...

Ultimately it will come down to the individual DM or location organizer to determine when to run his game. The goal is for as many games as possible to happen on Saturday the 7th, but WotC and I are fully aware that it won't be possible for every game to happen no that day. Not a problem... I hope to get the kits to the location organizers/DMs about a week early so they have plenty of flexibility.

Also... there's nothing perishable about the scenario kits... use them multiple times! If interest explodes, I may have to ask DMs to run the game a couple times. I can't think of a better way to meet some new players!

Xfer thinks that today is the day that he can get the website running... keep your fingers crossed... and keep spreading the word!

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Nosey Goblin said:
Hi Colin,

Yesterday I made the acquaintance of a US Combat Photographer who is down here at the Brit base in Basra. From chatting to him, about half his Baghdad-based unit are D&D players, so they could be good people to get in touch with when you get there if you want to get an in on the in-theatre gamer population. And I imagine they have decent contacts in publicity and the like that could help the endeavour.

Regards,

Shane

Thanks, Shane! That's very encouraging to hear about the player base is still as strong as I remember from the last time I was on active duty. If you remember the name of the unit or the Soldier/Sailor/Marine you talked to, I'd love to get in touch with them- especially if I can link them to Reaper Steve and get some publicity rolling for this MGD early... you can e-mail me at colins(at)sbcglobal(dot)net.

-Colin

Xfer83

First Post
militarygameday.com

Website is up, very basic ATM but existent none the less. Just let me know what you want changed/added/etc. Could use some more pics and whatnot, consider it a work in progress.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Xfer...
You, sir, are made of awesome and win! Very nicely done. Please continue to add and improve as your muse guides you.

As people email me at the 'info' email and commit to DMing a game or hosting an event of multiple games at a specific location, I would like to start a listing of participating locations and points of contact.

Also, more good news: the event is not limited to just deployed locations. If you are stationed overseas and can commit to DMing a game on your base/post, I can support that as well. I would also like to have a game hosted at each of the military academies.

Talk it up!

Remove ads