Dervish of Sairundan

Knight Otu

First Post
I've cooked up a few potential new versions. You can always consider v2 to ve v3d ;). For the sake of keeping things short, I listed only the requirements, and new abilities.

V3a – 5 lvl
Hit Dice: d8
Requirements
To qualify to become a dervish of Sairundan, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Perform (Dance) 8 ranks, Perfom (Sing) 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Two-Weapon-Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (scimitar).
Alignment: Neutral good, chaotic good or chaotic neutral.
Special: Must be from Sairundan, or be accepted by a Sairundan tribe as one of their own. Must pass the Test of the Fifteen Winds.
Test of the Fifteen Winds: To be accepted as a dervish, the aspiring character must impress a number of existing dervishes of his talents as a dancer, singer and athlete. Five dervishes gather, and the character must perform seperately his skills Perform (Dance), Perform (Sing) and Tumble. If at least three of the dervishes are impressed, the character can join the ranks of the dervishes, otherwise he must wait a month before he can take the test again. While dervishes normally travel far and wide, the best chance to gather the five dervishes needed for this test is in Sairundan.

Code:
1st	+1	+0 +2	+0	+1 Slashing blades, song of the storms united, [i]songs of the blade[/i]
 2nd	+2	+0	+3	+0 +1	Fast movement +5 ft.
 3rd	+3	+1	+3	+1 +1	Spring Attack, dervish dance
 4th	+4	+1	+4	+1 +1	Movement mastery, wind's fury
 5th	+5	+1	+4	+1 +2	Fast movement +10 ft., swift strike

Swift Strike (Ex): As a standard action, or as the attack action during a Spring Attack , the dervish may make a melee attack with his primary weapon and his off hand weapon. Both attacks suffer a –4 penalty, or a –2 penalty if both weapons are scimitars.

V3b – 10 lvl
Requirements
To qualify to become a dervish of Sairundan, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Perform (Dance) 5 ranks, Perfom (Sing) 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks.
Feats: Skill Focus (any two of Perform (Dance), Perfom (Sing) or Tumble), Two-Weapon-Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (scimitar).
Special: Must be from Sairundan, or be accepted by a Sairundan tribe as one of their own. Must pass the Test of the Fifteen Winds.
Test of the Fifteen Winds: To be accepted as a dervish, the aspiring character must impress a number of existing dervishes of his talents as a dancer, singer and athlete. Five dervishes gather, and the character must perform seperately his skills Perform (Dance), Perform (Sing) and Tumble. If at least three of the dervishes are impressed, the character can join the ranks of the dervishes, otherwise he must wait a month before he can take the test again. While dervishes normally travel far and wide, the best chance to gather the five dervishes needed for this test is in Sairundan.

V3c – 10 lvl
Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Perform (Dance) 6 ranks, Perfom (Sing) 6 ranks, Tumble 6 ranks.
Feats: Skill Focus (Perform (Dance), Perfom (Sing) and Tumble), Two-Weapon-Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (scimitar).

Class Skills
The dervish of Sairundan’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
  [b]Level	Base	Fort Ref	Will	AC Special
      Attack	Save	Save    Save	Bonus
  	Bonus[/b]
 1st	+1	+0	+2	+0 +1	Slashing blades, [i]songs of the blade[/i], song of the storms united
 2nd	+2	+0	+3	+0 +1	Fast movement +5 ft.
 3rd	+3	+1	+3	+1 +1 Spring Attack, dervish dance 1
 4th	+4	+1	+4	+1 +1	Dervish song, movement mastery,
 5th	+5	+1	+4	+1 +2	Fast movement +10 ft.
 6th	+6	+2	+5	+2 +2	Wind’s fury, dervish dance 2
 7th	+7	+2	+5	+2 +2	Dervish song
 8th	+8	+2	+6	+2 +2	Fast movement +15 ft.
 9th	+9	+3	+6	+3 +3	Dervish dance 3
 10th	+10	+3	+7	+3 +3	Dervish song, storm’s fury

Dervish Song: Starting at 4th level, a dervish learns to tap into the power of a few songs to magically empower himself or his companions, much like a bard can. He can use any of these abilities a number of times per day equal to his dervish level –3. The dervish can substitute bardic music uses for dervish song uses and vice versa. The dervish needs at least 9 ranks in Perform (Sing) to use any of these songs, and a few require more.
At fourth level, and again at 7th and 10th level, the dervish chooses one of the following dervish songs. Once chosen, it cannot be changed afterwards.
Unless noted otherwise, dervish songs can be relayed by other dervishes using the Song of the Storms United ability.
Song of Swift Striker (Su): This song tells of a legendary Hurakan who became a dervish. Rumored to be as fast as the wind itself, he could cut down foes faster than the eye could follow, until he was killed by an efreeti sultan. To choose this song, the dervish must be at least 7th level, and have 12 ranks in Perform (Sing). The dervish grants an ally (or himself) the ability to attack with two weapons and move in the same turn. As a standard action, or as the attack action during a Spring Attack , the ally may make a melee attack with his primary weapon and his off hand weapon. Both attacks suffer a –4 penalty, or a –2 penalty if both weapons are scimitars. The effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the dervish's Constitution modifier. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability.
[font=&quot]
[/font]Song of the Djinni's Hand (Su): This song tells how the djinn taught the tribes how to weather the storms of the Lands of Air. As long as the dervish sings, any ally within 30 feet of the dervish that can hear him gains resistance to fire equal to the dervish's class level. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the dervish's ranks in Perform (Sing).
Song of the Soothing Winds (Su): This song tells how the djinn protected the tribes during the war against the efreet. As long as the dervish sings, any ally within 30 feet of the dervish that can hear him gains resistance to electricity equal to the dervish's class level. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the dervish's ranks in Perform (Sing).
Song of the Wandering Winds (Su): This song tells of the wanderings the tribes have undertaken in their history, and the many that will follow in the future. As long as the dervish sings, any ally within 120 feet that can hear the dervish sing receives a bonus to his speed equal to the bonus the dervish receives. The effect lasts up to a maximum of 5 rounds. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability.
Song of the Winds United (Su): This song tells of the virtues of working together, of comradie and success. As long as the dervish sings, any ally within 30 feet of the dervish that can hear him can aid his allies better. When an affected ally succeeds at the Aid Another action, the bonus is +4 instead of +2. The effect lasts as long as the dervish concentrates, up to a maximum of 10 minutes. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
3a
I think that, given the complicated things a character has to do to get into the class, that they should be getting more out of it than 5 levels. 5 levels isn't much of a character's lifespan, and doesn't really define the character.

3b
With those prerequisites, a straight fighter could join this PrC with his 8th level. That doesn't seem too extreme to me, and warrants the abilities gained near the end of the progression.

3c
My take on this class is a combat class with additional abilities if certain conditions are present (ie, a bard). I don't see this class as being bard-esque in and of itself.

I see no problem with 3b, and would give it my approval, but I would like to hear KO's thoughts on why 3a has five levels and why 3c has bard-esque abilities before I give my approval for one version over another.

Knight Otu

First Post
As for 3a - I'm not sure anymore, but I think it had something to do with the prerequisites - it is still basically a fighter class, but would force taking a non-fighter class to be able to finish it before 20th level, if it were a 10 level class.

3c - This one goes into the opposite direction - if it should be necessary to take bard levels to enter the PrC early, then the class should also play more like a traditional bard, rather than just aiding bards, as 3b does.

Bront

The man with the probe
Two things

Slashing Blades: A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons.
This effects Power Attack then?

Also, why is Weapon Finesse required? Particularly when it doesn't benifit using the scimitar untill they get the class?

In general, I like the class. I think I like version 3d the best, 3b is a bit better on the requirements, but I don't care for the Skill Focus replacements.

My last question would be, how would a character seek out the Sairundan to perhaps become accepted by the tribe, and how would the Trial be run? Or is the Trial just assumed to be automatic if you have the time to advance and seek them between adventures? Can you only take the trial when you are ready to take your first Dirvish level?

Baring the few clarifications, I think this is a very well done PrC, and fits the flavor of the setting. I'd love to see a few more flavored PrCs out there.

Knight Otu

First Post
Bront said:
This effects Power Attack then?
Yes. If this gets approved or needs a new draft, I'll add a note about it.

Bront said:
Also, why is Weapon Finesse required? Particularly when it doesn't benifit using the scimitar untill they get the class?
Mechanically, it is a tiny extra cost. Easy to minimize, but there.
Flavor-wise, it represents the dedication to grace a dervish should have.

Bront said:
My last question would be, how would a character seek out the Sairundan to perhaps become accepted by the tribe, and how would the Trial be run? Or is the Trial just assumed to be automatic if you have the time to advance and seek them between adventures? Can you only take the trial when you are ready to take your first Dirvish level?
As for seeking out the tribes, any adventure in the general area could do. Being accepted into the tribe would vary, but a good rule of thumb would be to aid the tribe in some way.
I've made a few notes about the test in the first post. Basically, for each dervish observing the test, the character would make a DC 15 skill check, maybe higher or lower depending on the mood of that dervish. With the higher prerequisites of 3a to c, the skill check DC should propably be a bit higher, though.
A character should take the test shortly before taking the first level in the class, but with the "flexible" time frame of LEW, that might be when the character is still one level short of the prerequisites. I'd like the test to be run as a short mini-vignette, or as part of another adventure.

Bront

The man with the probe
I see, so a character interesting in seeking out the Dervishes would have to basicly get a GM to run an adventure for him and/or others so he could earn a spot amonst the tribes, and then he'd have to do another sub-adventure for the test?

You didn't answer weather he could be accepted by the dervishes before he could take the level and take the level later, or if he has to seek them out when he qualifies, potentialy putting off advancement.

Also, no comment on my input into the requirements fore 3d and 3b?

Knight Otu

First Post
Bront said:
I see, so a character interesting in seeking out the Dervishes would have to basicly get a GM to run an adventure for him and/or others so he could earn a spot amonst the tribes, and then he'd have to do another sub-adventure for the test?
More or less. There may however be adventures that take place in the area "naturally".

Bront said:
You didn't answer weather he could be accepted by the dervishes before he could take the level and take the level later, or if he has to seek them out when he qualifies, potentialy putting off advancement.
I think I did:
A character should take the test shortly before taking the first level in the class, but with the "flexible" time frame of LEW, that might be when the character is still one level short of the prerequisites.

Bront said:
Also, no comment on my input into the requirements fore 3d and 3b?
I took it as a general comment. Do you think I should replace the Skill Focus feats for other feats?

Remove ads