Designers looking for mechanics feedback on Optimization Board

Neverfate

First Post
I think to the pure role-players this thread will never matter. Likely at that point, published material rarely matters.

However, when your typical player (i.e. someone who enjoys several of the facets something broad like D&D or an RPG covers) there are certain elements that will pop up and take you OUT of immersion with its technicality.

If they change nothing but the wording to clarify the effects of a few dozen powers/feats with this experiment just so something like terrible wording doesn't distract a table of players all night, then they've done the right thing.

Eventually most group of gamers will end up in some sort of combat scenario too and when your Assassin lacks any and all kinds of abilities to assassinate things, well hopefully this will help that too (also, it breaks my brain/immersion that assassins can't get much done in 4E).

Incenjucar

Legend
I'm incredibly happy to see WotC ask for this feedback. It's really turned around my growing angst about 4E's future. Time will tell what actually comes of this, but there's so much more hope all the sudden.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I agree with most of the points raised above.

As much as I like Twin Strike, it probably should get a little nerf (not a huge one). I could see it getting a small hit penalty on each attack.

I'd be a little sad to see Versatile Master get the nerf bat though. I realize the breakage potential, but it adds a lot of choice and a strong incentive to play a half-elf, even when stats are non-optimal for the class.

Anyway, it's a good idea to mine CharOp for their input. About time.

Aegeri

First Post
I think Twin Strike should be made a class feature of rangers, much like how the scouts power for it is. If you can't pinch twin strike, a lot of the broken uses of versatile master are fixed at the same time (Twin Striking avengers for example). Plus it feels like something that should be an inherent part of the ranger as a class.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's a good thing then that they are asking them for feedback on improving the games mechanics - which is precisely what they are perfect at.
I just hope they look at that feedback in the correct light. Like, when someone says "all these classes are 'underpowered,' they need to be able to do as much damage as this one build of this one class," that they take a good hard look at that one class that "isn't underpowered," before 'fixing' all those others. That kinda thing.

Neverfate

First Post
I just hope they look at that feedback in the correct light. Like, when someone says "all these classes are 'underpowered,' they need to be able to do as much damage as this one build of this one class," that they take a good hard look at that one class that "isn't underpowered," before 'fixing' all those others. That kinda thing.

I think that becomes overly specific and the time it takes (and the effort it takes) to find those specific loop-holes to exploit them seems like a colossal endeavor for, what I imagine, are the errata for June (and perhaps as far off as the scheduled December errata date).

I think they'll cover broad things. Certain other queries like, "Seeker's suck" isn't going to be rectified by changing a class feature from "Once a round" to "once a turn" (just an example, I don't think Seeker's have a once a round mechanic).

Though your fears are understandable, I'm giving this experiment the benefit of the doubt because I've seen more solutions to rules problems come out of the Char-Op forums than any other forum on the net.

Dedekind

Explorer
I love reading the CharOp guides so much... but I don't mention it in mixed company because of the reaction you get. I just want to avoid underpowered options!

I foresee nerfing the "gold options" and bolstering or removing the "red options." I'm stoked, if that is what is happening.

Matt James

Game Developer
The CharOp boards are a gold-mine for designers. It provides a free source of intelligence on the inner workings of the game. If you look at it in these terms, the value can really be seen.

Incenjucar

Legend
The CharOp boards are a gold-mine for designers. It provides a free source of intelligence on the inner workings of the game. If you look at it in these terms, the value can really be seen.

Seriously. I just wish that running new things by them prior to publishing was a realistic option.

Remove ads