Detail Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manzanita

First Post
Bront said:
And ugh, no. I'd rather just have 1 standard point buy at 32. Trading 3000 XP for 12 points is a no brainer to me. Remember, since they earn XP at almost the same rate till 4th level, players will be 4th vs 3rd quickly, and the 4th levelers will be hurting. Soon after that, they'll be almost identical in level, and it's even worse.

Thanks for the goblinoind info

While you are are the mark, Bront, I'd like to add a little more before the issue is closed. Per our experience in LEW, parties are rarely all the same level, and the idea that everyone needs to start out at the same power level isn't necessarily all that relevant. Having played in more than one persistant world, I'll add, having an inn where players are recruited tends to yeild more varied parties of different levels, while having a recruitment thread where DM select their paries from an OOC perspective yeilds more balanced parties. Not that one is better.

In any case, all PLAYERs should have the same opportunities, but not all characters, necessarily. Having different starting point buys gives players the opportunity to create a wider variety of characters. Power gamers will take advantage of any system, but I see this more as a opportunity for variety. Didn't you guys do something similar with Living Supers? That's where I got the idea. Perhaps having a lower spread would still be interesting. Say a 28 point buy, a 32, and a 35. Whatever, that's my 2 cents.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think he was saying that trading away the Point Buy for levels up front was silly for the person who got the Point Buy (most especially with 25, which is nearly unplayable for some classes without accepting gaping holes in the class abilities).

Ferrix

Explorer
I agree with nixing the idea of various point buy amounts depending upon level. If the levels were more different, say 1/3/5, maybe then it'd be worth a difference, but with 1/2/3, those levels go by very fast. Plus, there's no real reason to punish people for wanting to play a 3rd level character over a 1st level character, sometimes you just get tired of being the green ear.

Regarding the elf situation, I'd say gray elves are predominant in Aerenal society, wood elves predominant in Valenar society and high elves predominant in Khorvaire. But that wouldn't mean that there aren't wood or high elves in Aerenal, and so on. About the dragonmarks, I could care less either way, but I'm always for options over restrictions.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Regarding the elf situation, I'd say gray elves are predominant in Aerenal society, wood elves predominant in Valenar society and high elves predominant in Khorvaire. But that wouldn't mean that there aren't wood or high elves in Aerenal, and so on. About the dragonmarks, I could care less either way, but I'm always for options over restrictions.

I agree pretty much completely with Ferrix. Put me one tiny iota past him on preferring options over restrictions, though--it makes me prefer the Dragonmarks be allowed. Not that I would use them, but other players should be allowed to do so if they like.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Well, keep in mind that these guys interbreed and breed true. My original idea (which was later preempted with the 'just play all the subraces anywhere') was to have Grey Elves be Aerenal elves and High Elves be Khorvaire elves, thus giving a slight rules flavour difference to the two to support the aloof love of the arcane of the Aerenal elves. Also, 'an entirely different set of stats' is an incredible exaggeration. They have exactly the same racial abilities, but add on -2 Str +2 Int on top of the usual +2 Dex -2 Con.
Well, the difference between the Aerenal, the Valenar, and th Khorvaire elves is supposed to be cultural in nature. For me, ability adjustments are much less likely to be cultural than. say, weapon proficiencies or certain skill bonuses.
I guess that comes down to the "elf mistake," saying that elves are great wizards without mechanical backing for that.

Anyway, I'd prefer to keep subraces out, but I'm not going to add a vote into the discussion. Bront is neutral to the whole thing, and Rystil wants Aerenal elves to be Grey Elves. So, how about:
"Races: All races listed in said books above except most of the XPH races and many of the subraces of the PHB races. Hobgoblins, being integral to the setting, are LA +0. Strong subraces (i.e. svirfneblin, drow, duergar) of the common races exist, and Gray Elves are allowed provided their home region is Aerenal (not all Aerenal elves need to be grey elves, though). Elans are allowed using the PGtE background, but might be restricted (max one per player, must be the 1st level character?)"

Rystil Arden

First Post
I guess that comes down to the "elf mistake," saying that elves are great wizards without mechanical backing for that.

Agreed. Elves are in fact the *worst* Wizards in the PH except for half-orcs. This is pretty much why I want the option available--Aerenal elves are supposed to be even better Wizards still.

"Races: All races listed in said books above except most of the XPH races and many of the subraces of the PHB races. Hobgoblins, being integral to the setting, are LA +0. Strong subraces (i.e. svirfneblin, drow, duergar) of the common races exist, and Gray Elves are allowed provided their home region is Aerenal (not all Aerenal elves need to be grey elves, though). Elans are allowed using the PGtE background, but might be restricted (max one per player, must be the 1st level character?)"

That works :)

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Agreed. Elves are in fact the *worst* Wizards in the PH except for half-orcs. This is pretty much why I want the option available--Aerenal elves are supposed to be even better Wizards still.

That works :)

I agree. Nice to sort that out ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
I've edited the first post. Made the adjustment to the Races paragraph, and it appears that the consensus on the campaign name is Living Eberron.

Regarding the Point Buy suggestion, since Manzanita brought up Living Supers. My impression is that the power point difference is more like a level difference than an ability score difference (though the latter comes with the former).

It seems that we will use a tavern to gather players for now?

Elan - restrict them somehow?

Craft Points or Time Units?

Bront, Rystil, don't forget to appoint a few more judges.

Ferrix

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
It seems that we will use a tavern to gather players for now?

Elan - restrict them somehow?

Craft Points or Time Units?

Bront, Rystil, don't forget to appoint a few more judges.

The other option for gathering players are Adventurers Guilds. There are two mentioned in Sharn which could give an interesting starting point rather than just a stereotypical tavern.

The Clifftop Adventurers Guild (in Upper Dura) and the Deathsgate Explorers Club (of Middle Tavick's Landing). Each one has a specific atmosphere and attitude that goes with it, which could give options for players to choose from at the beginning.

Regarding Elan, I doubt anyone is going to play all three of their characters as Elan, however it would be interesting to require that none of a players three characters could be of the same race or class thus promoting diversification.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ferrix said:
The other option for gathering players are Adventurers Guilds. There are two mentioned in Sharn which could give an interesting starting point rather than just a stereotypical tavern.

The Clifftop Adventurers Guild (in Upper Dura) and the Deathsgate Explorers Club (of Middle Tavick's Landing). Each one has a specific atmosphere and attitude that goes with it, which could give options for players to choose from at the beginning.
Which exludes the Wayfinder's guild, the Morgrave Expedition's Society, etc., etc. There are plenty of guild options, but I think the two above (w/ *maybe* the Expedition society and articles in the Chronicle would be sufficient).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads