• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detect Magic question

Palskane

First Post
The detect magic spell says that it can penetrate through various different thicknesses of materials. Even so, I interpret that that aspect of the spell does not confer line of sight to determine magical aura schools, correct?

A player of mine has detected magic through a stone door which is 6" thick. Because the door is shut, they cannot determine the school of magic because they do not have line of sight, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Palskane said:
The detect magic spell says that it can penetrate through various different thicknesses of materials. Even so, I interpret that that aspect of the spell does not confer line of sight to determine magical aura schools, correct?

A player of mine has detected magic through a stone door which is 6" thick. Because the door is shut, they cannot determine the school of magic because they do not have line of sight, correct?
That's correct. You don't need line of sight for the presence or absence of magical auras, the number and the power of them, but you do need it for strength and location because the spell explicitly requires line of sight. So, combine it with a ring of x-ray vision for extra goodness. ;)

Remove ads