• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detect Magic vs Antimagic

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

What happens if someone with detect magic happens to look into an antimagic field? He doesn't detect any magic inside the field of course, but does he see that there is antimagic in front of him?
If that's not the case, how about True Seeing?

Thanks in advance.

Kodam

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Yeah, I think he'd detect the magic. The field is, in itself, magical after all.

True seeing will let the person see things in the field as they truly are. Which shouldn't be a problem, because all the illusions have already been dispeled. :)

Altalazar

First Post
I'd say he gets a headache. Or perhaps he sees a space with LESS than normal background magic in it, and can deduce that it is an anti-magic shell.

jgsugden

Legend
No clear answer is in the rules.

Make up what works for your game.

I'd suggest that the field and anything in it did not radiate as magic. That provides more interesting options ofr a game.

XCorvis

First Post
From the 3.5 SRD:
Detect Magic
Divination
Area: Cone-shaped emanation

The emanation effect ends at the anti-magic field. I believe the caster should be able to tell this and then deduce the presence of an anti-magic barrier of some kind.

Remove ads