Deuce Traveler's Canterbury Tales OOC Thread

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'll change this initial post as my thoughts evolve...

Anyway, this is a bit of an experiment that I plan to run using 3.5e, some suspension of disbelief when it comes to historical events, a number of very short adventures from my personal collection, and The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer.

We'll start with 1st level characters from 3.5e and you can play any race, but with the caveat that you will have the option to consider some races still a human character but with a diverse background. So you might play an elf, but consider him for character purposes a Briton who happens to be slim, agile, and sees well enough in the dark. Or you can still play the elf and we'll make it that humans see the character as suspicious, but are not outright hostile. This is where the suspension of disbelief will come in, so bear with me.

For some reason, the characters are all in Damascus during the year 1386 and will making a two year pilgrimage through Europe and to Canterbury Cathedral. The leader of the caravan is a rich merchant, and he knows all the trade locations to journey to as he's made this journey several times. The other characters will have diverse backgrounds and faiths, as the route travelled is a known trade route with more open-minded populations. Some characters will be religious pilgrims, some diplomats, some traders, some soldiers for hire to defend the long caravan, and so on.

The adventures will all be chosen from the WOTC website and from Penumbra's En Route series. Because of the shorts and the caravan journey, we will be able to swap out characters seemlessly as they will have a mobile base of operations. Therefore, there will not be an overall plot hook.

Anyways, let me know if you like the idea. All books, classes, and races allowed, but I can shoot anything down if I think it is unbalanced.

Honor system, roll three characters, 4d6 and drop the lowest and reroll 1s, then take the best of the three characters rolled. 125 gp each.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
I'm slightly confused on your character generation method, Deuce.

You want use to do 4d6 reroll 1's drop lowest for each stat three times, and pick the better array?

Do we allocate the attributes in the stats we want, or keep them in the order we rolled them?

Also: I'm not superbly accurate with my historical knowledge, but I figured I could definitely give it a try. I'm supposing magic is part of our suspension of disbelief? I figure we could fluff the magic as coincidences, if we wanted.

I would very, very much like to play in this. Chaucer is a favorite author of mine and I've always thought the Canterbury Tales to be particularly funny.

Do you intend for potential players to give their interpretation of the main characters (The Knight, The Wife of Bath, The Pardoner, The Miller, The Monk, The Summoner, The Host, The Parson, The Squire, The Clerk, The Man of Law, The Manciple, The Merchant, The Shipman, The Physician, The Franklin, The Reeve, The Plowman, The Guildsmen, The Cook, The Yeoman, The Second Nun, and The Nun’s Priest )? Or did you want us to make "regular" D&D characters who will simply take part in the medieval setting?

ethandrew

First Post
I am interested. I did enjoy what I read of the Canterbury Tales, as well as the Ptolus game that you DM'd a few years prior that I mysteriously (and inexcusably) disappeared from. So yes, I am interested.

What I'm feeling is a human male, class yet undetermined, but he's one of the assistants to a wealthy man making a pilgrimage with his family. I use the term assistant loosely due to the fact that I'm not sure if it'll be more slavish, or errand-boy, or compensated porter. But I imagine him being a bit of a loose-lipped degenerate.

Theroc

First Post
I suppose I should note I'm not actually familiar with the tales in question, but am interested in a semi-historical setting as I've gotten the impression will be used.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
This sounds facinating... I love Chaucer and it will give me a good excuse to re-read the Canterbury Tales!

I would also like to know if you want us to make characters loosely based on the Tales Characters or not as CanadienneBacon asked...

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm also quite interested. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to read the Tales yet, but it certainly sounds like a good inspiration.

I should be able to get a concept going soon, and get things running when the previous questions have been answered.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Charcter A: Stat Roll

Character B: Stat Roll

Character C: Stat Roll

Looks like it maybe C but and be a Human Wizard and if we are suspending belief then he might be an illusionist

I am intereted but have never read the books you mentioned but will after I read the latest Robert Jordan due out very soon. :)

HM

Remove ads