• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deuce Traveler's Sewer Rats

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: Oh, there are those in the city that may want to make their own excursion to capture these creatures and keep Mr. Sabatini out of the business. The giant rat farm has the potential of being a lucrative business.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
You are enjoying a drink in Abe's Pub, and since you succeeded in your last mission you are given a complimentary free mug of cheap alcohol called Boar Sweat. The three of you sit, enjoying each other's company while a bard is telling a tale of how the city came to have an elected Council rather than rule by nobility. "It was Carl Lombard's rule which finally created the uprising of the burghers and the citizens. He had bankrupted the treasury fighting another battle against the Saventi family. This was the third time that a Lombard banner would march against the that of the Saventi, and though the Saventi had been defeated each time they always arose to challenge their rivals. This time it was a battle against the Lombard soldiers and mercenary allies and Saventi sorcery backed by horrors of the undead. The city rebelled and declared itself neutral rather than finance another campaign. The Lombards were cast out and a Council elected. Not surprisingly in hindsight, the Saventi accepted this new rule rather than try to press their own ancient claim of rulership of the city as the unrecoverable damage done to the Lombard family was satisfaction enough..."

Blah, blah, blah. Boring stuff. As you sit and talk a man in white robes and the eight-pointed holy symbol of Kord stands next to your table. He is tall, but slightly overweight with a jovial smile and a ring with an eagle on the crest. He looks familiar to you, and you swear you have seen him walking around the poorer districts of the city. "Good evening gentlemen, mind if I buy you another round of drinks? I've heard good things from you from a mutual friend and would like to pick your brains about a certain man working in the Slums District. My name is Father Louis." The name is what jogs your memory. Before you is the leader of Kord's church located in the Noble District of the City.

ghostcat

First Post
"Sit down Father and tell us what you want to know. Although if the person in question is the one I think you mean then you will need to have a good reason, as I for one consider him a friend." says Hardnose.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Father Louis sits his pudginess down across from you and slams a meaty fist heavily unto the cheap, wooden table. "Four tall mugs of Brummer's Oatmeal Stout," he loudly demands. A server soon after drops off the four mugs, which the priest tips well for. By the speed of the service, you reckon he has a reputation in town as a heavy tipper.

Looking at Hardnose he says, "Well, you speak well for him which is a plus. I'll be straight up with you. The Church of Kord is looking to work with community leaders from the Slums. Recruitment in the Noble District has dried up, so we are looking to expand in other places where we haven't given due consideration in the past. Mostly this lack of attention was because my recently deceased predecessor was a moron, but that's a topic for another time. This is how I figure it: The Church of Kord sends a couple of representatives to assist with charity work and education for the poor, and in exchange we find ourselves an opening to try recruitment with the help of someone whose trust we have earned. If you think this Mr. Sabatini is someone the Church might approach, then that's good enough for me." The man talks passionately, but somehow manages to finish a quarter of his beer before he is done.

Fenris

Adventurer
"So what do we get out of this?" asks Needles, always looking to get something out of anything he does...

"A broken nose if you don't stop being greedy" snorts Fergus with a glance at the father's massive hands.

"But both of my friends do have points. I think we can arrange a meeting or be go betweens as you wish. But we are the poor from whom you want to recruit. Now I am sure Hardnose and I would be fairly easy to motivate. But my more mercenary friend here may be a bit more difficult." say Fergus sipping and enjoying real beer for a change.

"If you had a few representatives we are headed down soon for a 'community service project' that your representatives would do well to be a part of. If it works out it will be a boon for the poor."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Father Louis raises a hand in disagreement as he takes another gulp. "No, what I wanted for you was information and you provided that. Since you would be willing to make a meeting, I assume you approve of the idea and that's good enough for me. I already paid for this information with the round of drinks, and I'll make sure to buy you another round before I go in appreciation. I have my own acolytes that can walk the Slums and meet him for me. And I walk the Slums enough that I can handle the task myself. So no, even though Artemesia speaks highly of your recent exploits, I have no need to hire you... well not just yet." He says and his eyes twinkle. He finishes his drink, belches loudly as he pats his stomach and orders each of you another drink for when you are finished with your current ones. He gets up to leave as the bard argues with a nearby listener.

No, the Salventi were associated with snakes because they were great shapechangers and transformed themselves during the Battle of Dark Wood, where they beat the Lombard forces to a standstill. When they were in snake form they breathed fire which scorched the Lombard armor and their flashing eyes could turn a man to stone. But Carl Lombard earned his place as head of the his Great House by his bravery in arms and he was immune to the dark sorceries of the Salventi snake people since he was blessed by the gods themselves...

The priest slams his mug down angrily and stands his pudgy body with enough force to throw his chair back several feet. His voice booms through the Pub, "Oh for Kord's sake! Carl Lombard would have sooner run through the City naked than ever set foor in a church. And though he was decent with a sword, he favored assasination and blackmail, and had his marshall lead the armies at the Battle of Dark Wood. There was only one Salventi family member left by then because of the Lombard use of poisons and garrotte and he survived by using dark arts to shed his humanity, not by becoming some kind of snake man. Who ever heard of a villian turning himself into a snake? How would that help? And before the Lombard's crossed the paths of the Salventi, the Salventi crest was a white stag, and the story on why THAT changed would make a better tale than a battle that ended in stalemate. You, sir, are a horrible storyteller!"

The patrons stand stunned before Father Louis blushes, excuses himself and walks out the door.

Ahem... errr... how about we switch to music instead. I have written some songs the like of which you've never heard.

Abe's Pub quickly goes back to normal.

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Once Father Louis has finish his spiel, Hardnose take a long pull of his drink to allow himself time to think. He is just about to speak when he has second thoughts and instead takes another drink.

Before, Hardnose can actually reply to the cleric, his friends have answered for him and father Louis has made some assumption which my or my not be valid. Harnose is not about to contradict him.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Needles leaves the mug as is, untouched on the table. He doesn't care for the payment, as the cleric called it, and prefers to do things on his own accord. At the outburst of the cleric to the bard, he can only smile and nod. "So, what's on the agenda now? We meet up with Sabatini? You never did tell me what happened back there while I was drowning in water. Something must have happened, for you two to be so protective of this guy..."

Fenris

Adventurer
Needles leaves the mug as is, untouched on the table. He doesn't care for the payment, as the cleric called it, and prefers to do things on his own accord. At the outburst of the cleric to the bard, he can only smile and nod. "So, what's on the agenda now? We meet up with Sabatini? You never did tell me what happened back there while I was drowning in water. Something must have happened, for you two to be so protective of this guy..."

"Not protective. Respectful. Sabatini is not the villain he was made out to be. While he may be a crook in some ways, he is very protective of the Sewer Folk. And he is honorable. So I think yeah we head down to find Sabatini and start rounding up rats." replies Fergus

Remove ads