• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deus Ex Machina

Eryndur

Explorer
Fixem, 3AC, Grace and Spike start up the bouldered slope after Kamma, quickly discovering that climbing and traversing giant rocks was not a priority in House Cannith, apparently. Fixem and 3AC make it all the way up without too many problems, but Spike slips off one boulder, knocking a new dent into his armor. Erran follows his squadmates, and has a little trouble at one point, but manages the ascent. Above and below, though, everyone cringes as Grace loses his grip and crashes onto every boulder on the way down, the metallic echoes of his descent echoing off into the still blue sky. He comes to rest at the bottom of the slope, battered and broken.

[sblock=OOC] Erran takes 3 points of nonlethal damage. Grace, unfortunately, takes 9 points of regular damage, and he must ascend again. I need rolls from Dog, Spider, and Craft.[/sblock]

[sblock=if Fixem, 3AC, Spike, or Erran succeed at Spot check DC 22]As Grace takes his decidedly un-graceful swan dive, you notice a smile flit briefly across Kamma's face.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Grace wordlessly picks itself up off the rocks and begins to ascend again, this time using the rope 3AC set up. With the added assistance, it manages to make its way to the top.
[sblock=OOC]Invisible Castle hates me. Grace will take 10 the whole way since it has a rope now; that's 7's against DC 5.[/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
Spot (1d20+7)= 22
Erran scowls and says quietly to 3AC, Watch the goblin closely. I think he may be enjoying our struggles a bit too much. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to trust him. Speaking up for all to hear, Let's lower a rope to help the others up, and to haul up any gear that we need to bring. What of it, Kamma? Is there anything else coming up that would get in the way of bringing our mule?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Dog looks at the horses, the mule, his supplies, and his ascending squadmates, and freezes for a second in indecision. He shudders all over, and finally goes to each horse and the mule, hauling off its bridle and saddle, and speaking to it quietly for a moment in the Druidic tongue, carefully scratching it around the ears. Then it turns it away from the mountains, and gives it a slap on the rump to get it going away from the squad. Hauling up a full-grown horse or mule on the rope they had was not a fesible proposition. Hopefully the beasts would find good masters.

Dog takes the riding and pack gear and tries to stow it in the crevices around the rocks, or under bushes, or even burying them if there's time.

He then ties its supplies to the rope and lets its teammates haul them up, waits for the rope to come back down, and then, with great care, makes a rope harness for Small Dog to make the same trip.

"Small Dog, guard," he commands his companion, points to the warforged above, and gives the animal a moment's scratch on the head. This was a very unnatural situation for a canine, and extra reassurance was needed, according to his instructors. Once Small Dog was safely at the top, Dog grabs the rope himself, and slowly but surely hauls himself up.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Spot: 1d20+1=21

( I do not suppose that a natural 20 counts on a skill roll? I was thinking to myself as I rolled that, " You know, I bet I will roll a 20 on this and it still won't be enough, " hehehe... )

Eryndur

Explorer
The horses and Dog's mule look forlornly up the slope at their former masters, and are soon lost from sight as the party ascends the slope successfully. Kamma gathers everyone around, staring up at them as he lifts a matted fur hood over his pointed ears.

"Gets very cold now. Erran of Cyre should protect himself. Mekniks -- umm, you too, I suppose. Kamma is very sorry you had to leave beasts behind. Many others who have crossed Kamma's path have had to do the same. We must ascend this slope of snow and ice and reach the rock wall yonder, near the peak. There lies the entrance to the First Cave."

Shouldering the extra baggage from the pack animals, you trudge upwards into knee length snow. The sensation is new to the warforged in the party, and unpleasant, as it causes a stiffness in their wooden muscle and metal skin. Grace, already battered, fairs the worst, and soons finds himself lagging behind.

After many hours of plodding travel, the sun sinks behind Pargon's Peak, shrouding the eastern face in shadow. The cold, already bone-chilling, drops to mind-numbing levels.

Finally, you reach a near vertical wall of solid rock, bereft of snow. The granite face stares back at you impassively. Kamma, his frosted breath coming out in short gasps, calls a halt. "We must enter before night descends, or we will not live out the night. Lucky for you once again, Kamma knows the entrance."

He happily turns to the rock face and begins to shuffle alongside it, his nose pressed up against it. After a few minutes, his grin drops from his face and he takes a step back, staring at the wall.

"All is not well, friends. I fear the entrance has been disguised from poor Kamma, by who knows what agent. And after all the delightful guests Kamma has deliv-- uh, brought to the Seven Caves! Woe!"

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, Kaodi, a natural 20 doesn't cut it, unfortunately. All PCs are currently -1 on any Dexterity-based rolls. Grace is -2. The time is now 6:30 pm. The sun will set in approximately one hour.[/sblock]

Forgefly

First Post
'Kanma has betrayed the squad.', thinks Spike

Spike dashes over and grabs Kanma by the collar lifting him up into the air.

" I believe you are about to explain yourself Kanma, thoroughly!" intones Spike in the passionless tones of the warforged.

[sblock=OOC]
Spike believes Kanma is flatfooted if he is not Spike will spend an action point to ensure he catches the sneaky goblin.
Touch attack, Opposed Grapple, Forgo grapple damage (1d20+2=13, 1d20+6=18)
If Kanma wasn't "suprised" Action Point (1d6=1)
[/sblock]

Remove ads