DF's "The Slaying Stone" 4e

GM: Anyone can read the below knowledge check as a result of Mathariel's success.

History check: Alkirk is the last heir of the Kiris line, the rulers of the fallen town of Kiris Dahn. Eight years ago, Alkirk, Treona, and the citiens were forced to abandon Kiris Dahn. In the face of an overwhelming goblin invasion, the populace scattered to other settlements or secluded lives. The goblins took over Kiris Dahn and live there still.

Before the goblins came, the Kiris line had exhausted its supply of slaying stones, powerul items that used magic to kill the town's greatest enemies. The town had eight of them, and all had been spent to destroy various threats. The goblins came in great numbers, and there was no stone to frighten them off. They overran the town and renamed it Goriz-badd.

The town had endured a long decline under the rule of the Kiris family, and the citizens scattered rather than follow Kiris Alkirk.

Rumors abound of a curse that plagued the Kiris family - lycanthropy.

Phaezen

First Post
The druid looks around the inside of the tower and at it's occupants.

"We are Banmarden" He introduces himself, "Roderick sent us to help Treona, what do you need from us?"

drothgery

First Post
"I am Patrin." The dragonborn said. "My sword is pledged to Bahamut."Which was a none too subtle hint that if they were up to anything shady, he wouldn't be having anything of it. But the clerics had asked him to take a look into this...

"The task is simple, young ones. Go into Kiris Dahn, with your big muscles and swords and whatnot. You've doubtless heard of slaying stones. We need you to find the hidden one - no idea where it is. Kill anything that gets in your way - or be sneaky. I don't care. But bring us that stone. You'll be rewarded. We'll give you..." she looks at Kiris Alkirk for a nod of confirmation. "...and we'll give you...uh...whatever you want. Big money. Or a house."

It doesn't seem as if Treona or Alkirk are shady, just sort of aloof, as if they totally underestimate your abilities and the possibility for danger.

Inspiratorium

First Post
The eladrin seems puzzled at the request. "The hidden one? I thought all eight had been used already," he thinks briefly, "or is my learning wrong?" He searches through his pack for a small stick of lead and a small book, which he quickly flips to the first dry page. "For that matter, what is it that you want with that stone?"

Last edited:

Kiris Alkirk jumps in to respond.

We had thought there only eight, but Treona has discovered evidence from a trusted source that there was a ninth stone, a prototype gone unfinished, left within the city. What we intend to do with it is simple. Treona will activate it, and thus kill every beastly creature in my town.

Treona smiles wryly.

Yes, yes. BOOM! No more goblins, no more kobolds, after all these years!

Phaezen

First Post
The druid looks somewhat hesitant at this news, spending a few moments in thought then glancing around at the rest of the group to judge their reactions.

Inspiratorium

First Post
The eladrin seems, if nothing else, a bit surprised by the bluntness of the statement. "Well, I suppose that that's an a efficient way of solving your problems," he notes dryly.

Remove ads