Diaglo's Latest Debaucle - Rogue's Run

biorph

First Post
I put Diaglo's name up there for some name recognition. We've started a new campaign because Olgar had to do that whole moving to get a job thing. But basically watch this space for his latest adventures as Omar bin Woken. I may chime in once or twice, but I know enough to let the person who takes the notes tell the story.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Omar bin Woken.

Background

It was no small thing for young Omar. He had reveled in his parents' many tales all his young life. He knew them all by heart. And he retold them to his younger siblings. He even added a little of his own flair to the tales. So when the offer came to explore some of the world himself, he jumped at the opportunity with both feet forward. Little did he know just how naïve a lad he was?

His parents sent him to a distant school with a wise mentor, Hakim al Ulnae, first prophet of the whispering woodwind. A strict but kindly man was Omar's mentor. He taught Omar all the eager lad could handle. New languages, new prose, new instruments, the ways of court, the proper use of pipeweed, the price of tea in Shou Lung, and much much more.

Unfortunately, Hakim el Ulnae was not alone. He had a daughter. And all to soon Omar's mind and lessons wandered. What a flower. What a true and wondrous creature.

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, A Loaf of Bread – and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise now

Ah Love! Could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire
Would not we shatter to bits – and then
Re-mold it nearer to the Heart's Desire

Long were the days spent in the damsel Gulnare's company. And they spent the nights staring at the Constellation Lyra. The lyre was first invented by Mercury when he attached strings to an empty tortoise shell. Later he traded it to Apollo, who gave it to his son Orpheus. And Orpheus being mostly mortal eventually became the greatest of musicians and he past this knowledge to his heirs. And in no small part this was why the two lovers had met.

Only it was Omar's wish not to follow in Orpheus's fated footsteps. For though, Orpheus was known as a great hero and musician, his lost love was his greatest tale. He tempted fate and visited the underworld to retrieve her. And he would've succeeded if not for his ill timed rejoicing. He turned too soon and the Gods snatched her back. Never again would Orpheus see her while he lived. He wandered a lonely soul thereafter.

Omar took this tale and tucked it away. He would not let it happened to him. He would not…

But oh how fickle love and fate truly are.

Hakim was old when first Omar met him. And older still when Omar was finished with his lessons. And even older still when Omar approached his former mentor for the hand of his beloved, Guldare. Hakim required a final test to prove his worth.

"Observe, my son," said Hakim, "what I direct. Descend into this cave, and when you are at the bottom of those steps you will find a door which will lead you into a spacious vault, divided into three great halls, in each of which you will see four large brass cisterns placed on each side, full of gold and silver; but take care you do not meddle with them. Before you enter the first hall, be sure to tuck up your vest, wrap it about you, and then pass through the second into the third without stopping. Above all, have a care that you do not touch the walls; for if you do, you will die instantly. At the end of the third hall, you will find a door which opens into a garden planted with fine trees loaded with fruit; walk directly across the garden by a path which will lead you to five steps that
will bring you upon a terrace, where you will see a niche before you, and in that niche a lighted lamp. Take the lamp down, and extinguish it; when you have thrown away the wick, and poured out the liquor, put it in your vestband and bring it to me. Do not be afraid that the liquor will spoil your clothes, for it is not oil; and the lamp will be dry as soon as it is thrown out. If you should wish for any of the fruit of the garden, you may gather as much as you please."

After these words, Hakim drew a cloak around Omar's shoulders, telling him that it was a preservative against all evil, while he should observe what he had prescribed to him. After this instruction he said: "Go down boldly, child, and we shall both be rich all the rest of our days."

Omar descended into the cave. He followed all of Hakim's instructions to the letter. And when he reached the garden filled his pockets and clothes with the beautiful fruit as a reward.

"Pray, father, lend me your hand, to help me out." Omar called.

"Omar," Hakim answered, "pass me up the lamp. I am sure it is a
burden."

"Help me out of the cave," Omar called back. "The lamp is no trouble."

It was here that things got ugly. Hakim became very obstinate. He became enraged with Omar and flew into a passion. He threw a little of his magic and closed the mouth of the cave. This action plainly showed him to be neither Omar's friend nor future father-in-law. He was a man possessed with one singular desire, the lamp.

Omar plugged his ears and fled back into the cave. Several days later he escaped. Hakim and Guldare were gone. And Omar still had the lamp and the cloak. He returned to the place of his birth. Calimport. And to the household
of merchants he once called family. And like all true members of the Fellowship he was now ready for the cruel world.

His first mission. To recruit his siblings (tho not real blood relations) to his cause. The mute, Sargazzo, was the first.

Footnote: none of this is overly original. you will recognize parts of this story from Tales of a Thousand and One Nights, The Arabian Nights, Bullfinch's Mythology, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, and Constellations: Glimpses of infinity in fact, myth, and legend.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
biorph said:
No, that was intentional, really I swear! :p (mumble mumble, stupid computer spellchecker.) ;)

Err - and debaucle. :D

Lordy, I'm incorrigible. Okay, I'll shut up now - because the story hour is frikkin' cool.

dravot

First Post
Piratecat said:
Err - and debaucle. :D

Lordy, I'm incorrigible. Okay, I'll shut up now - because the story hour is frikkin' cool.
Piratecat is incorrigible. Do not incorrige him. Please.

diaglo

Adventurer
It was many years since Omar last set foot in Calimsport, one of the greatest cities in Faerun. But the sights, sounds, and smells soon came back to him. And more importantly the dangers. The Circle of Shadows was an ancient Guild built on a firm internal structure. The Circle carried its growth and mastery through a long reign. Members of the Organization are divided into Fellowships which specialize in specific roles, each having their own particular niche within the shadowy society. Omar was a member of a fact finding Fellowship.
The members of the Circle take Guild-sanctioned contracts and some of their own. All profits are returned to the Guild. Some members have set their sights to become part of the secretive Shadow Nobility, the ultimate leaders of the Guild and legends known in far countries. Others simply wish to become the highest paid in their field, working to have the best skills and greatest abilities. And all like Omar have secret agendas. Omar’s goal was to find his lost Guldare and steal her away from her wicked father.

As each member progresses in power, they must face a challenge. These challenges become more and more deadly to cull the undeserving. Many of the challenges are not lone ventures.

Omar’s return to the fold of the Circle was uneventful. Over the next decade, he methodically gathered what information he could of the other guild members and went in search of Sargazzo, the half-orc mute. ( JoeBlank is playing Sargazzo, I’ll let him fill you in on his background )

Once again reunited with Sargazzo, Omar felt confident his plans would see fruition. Unfortunately, time ran out for them both.

They received a summons. Another Test. One many had avoided. But one Omar needed. The only way for him to find Hakim was to climb the ladder of power. And this test also offered him an opportunity to influence other members. The Rogue’s Run would include a team of 7 members; Omar bin Woken, Sargazzo, Kem, Kalil Ali, Zyff, Solfien, and Reun. Omar knew of all of them. But had worked with only a few of them. (Zyff is an NPC...i'll let the others tell you about themselves...biorph is Kem...howandwhy99 is Kalil...arielslover is Solfien...and Reun is played by a new member of our group...i don't know his ENW alias)

Zyff was the only one Omar distinctly did not trust. He was a member of the Face Dancers. The Fellowship most likely to cause trouble for Omar's plans.

biorph

First Post
Kem

Kem never knew his parents, and strange as it may sound, it never came up. The fellowship was his mother and father. The circle were his parents. No one really asked about your past in the fellowship and over time you just forgot about it, like an old scar on the bottom of your foot, you don't see it very often and after a while you forget it's there.

Kem was an Acrobat, one of the Fellowship of Travel, a Risk Taker, A Third Story Man. To the rest of the guild he and his kind went by another name, something less complementary, The Weasels. He wasn't a burglar or a pick pocket; neither spy nor diplomat, he was merely happy go lucky Kem. His philosophy was that the other fellowships may think they looked down on him and his kind, but let them try looking down on anyone 500 feet in the air. The may call us weasels, garbage pickers, street trash, but still they called us. They could wail and moan and gnash their teeth, but when push came to shove there were few people more dangerous than an acrobat in their element. IF they forgot that, well, they wouldn't forget it twice.

He was warming up for a performance with some of his newer members when the call came. It was a standard run. He and the other acrobats would draw a crowd, whild Kalil and the pickpockets would fleece the fatter purses. everyone put money in the hat at the end of one of his performances, whether they knew it or not. Unfortunately the call came before the start of the show. A loud whistle caused him and Kalil to turn from their plans just in time to catch the cylinders flying toward their faces. Lady Blue again, mistress of the challenges. Apparently his time had come. Kem Looked over the list of his partners in the latest challenge. Himself, Kalil, and several people he'd never seen in his life before. Par for the course for the guild tests. He loved working with members of other guilds, watching them scratch their heads in confusion on how to cross a 30 foot chasm or pit, when he could easily just climb, swing, or jump across. He wondered how long it would take this group to stop underestimating him. He hoped it took a while.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Sargazzo Irshad does not recall the early part of his life, before he was sold as a slave to House Irshad in Calimsport, so he does not recall how or when his tongue was cut out, or if he was ever able to speak. Not knowing that he was raised by the Circle of Shadows, the orphan half-orc was likewise unaware that his skill in combat and as a bodyguard came from intense training provided by the guild.

He excelled as a guard on the Irshad estate, and eventually became the personal bodyguard of Quell Irshad, the head of the house of powerful spice merchants. Sargazzo's inability to speak was considered an asset, making him a guard that could be trusted not to reveal family secrets.

About two years ago, the Circle found the need to eliminate Quell, and bring down the Irshad family. The bard Omar bin Woken gained the confidence of Quell and arranged a meeting, alledgedly to discuss expanding the family's control of the spice trade throughout the region. At the meeting, Omar used his music and his knowledge of a secret sign language to manipulate Sargazzo, who had been planted by the guild for later use. The half-orc did not even recall that he knew the signs, taught to him long ago by the Circle. With prodding from Omar, he willing dealt the blow that finished Quell, and eliminated his fellow bodyguards as well. With the fall of House Irshad, Sargazzo was free for the first time in his life. He removed Quell's signet ring, managing to fit it on his small finger, and wears it to signify that he now owns himself.

Omar reintroduced Sargazzo to life with the Circle, and the two have become a formidable team. The circle often assigns them to play the role of a diplomat and his bodyguard. While Sargazzo understands several languages, he can only communicate using sign language, supplemented by gutteral grunts and the creative us of a signal whistle and a war horn.

Remove ads