Dice and Math-- Need math people!

eamon

Explorer
instead of rolling Nd6 you could roll 1d6, multiply by floor(sqrt(N)), and add (N-floor(sqrt(N)))avg(d6).

one die roll, almost the same std. dev. ;-).

s-dub said:
So how do yall handle maximized spells with this variant?
I am not sure. Maybe I would outright eliminate it and allow only Empower Spell? (But to me, the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth the +4 spell level.) Otherwise, you should probably drop its spell level adjustment by one or two points. (depending on how much range you actually retain.)

Nail

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
(But to me, the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth the +4 spell level.)
Me neither.

...so it's a good thing Maximize Spell is only +3 spell levels, eh? ;)

mvincent

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth
- Lesser metamagic rod of maximize: 14,000 gp
- Tiny balls of bat guano and sulfur: free
- 20' radius template from Steel Sqwire: $10
- Completing 3 encounters before anyone has had a chance to order pizza: priceless

LonePaladin

Explorer
s-dub said:
So how do y'all handle maximized spells with this variant?
Exactly the way the feat's normally handled, give the spell the maximum amount possible — a maximized 10th-level fireball still does 60 points. The way I'm handling the dice+mod variant, I'm allowing my players to decide which version they want to use at the time. If that archmage wants to roll and count thirty-eight six-siders when he casts disintegrate, more power to him. But I've made him aware that the whole point is to speed up combat, and every spell he has includes a note on how the dice work out.

He doesn't have Maximize Spell anyway, so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Remove ads