• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice and Math-- Need math people!

eamon

Explorer
instead of rolling Nd6 you could roll 1d6, multiply by floor(sqrt(N)), and add (N-floor(sqrt(N)))avg(d6).

one die roll, almost the same std. dev. ;-).

s-dub said:
So how do yall handle maximized spells with this variant?
I am not sure. Maybe I would outright eliminate it and allow only Empower Spell? (But to me, the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth the +4 spell level.) Otherwise, you should probably drop its spell level adjustment by one or two points. (depending on how much range you actually retain.)

Nail

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
(But to me, the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth the +4 spell level.)
Me neither.

...so it's a good thing Maximize Spell is only +3 spell levels, eh? ;)

mvincent

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
the benefits of Maximize Spell were never really worth
- Lesser metamagic rod of maximize: 14,000 gp
- Tiny balls of bat guano and sulfur: free
- 20' radius template from Steel Sqwire: $10
- Completing 3 encounters before anyone has had a chance to order pizza: priceless

LonePaladin

Explorer
s-dub said:
So how do y'all handle maximized spells with this variant?
Exactly the way the feat's normally handled, give the spell the maximum amount possible — a maximized 10th-level fireball still does 60 points. The way I'm handling the dice+mod variant, I'm allowing my players to decide which version they want to use at the time. If that archmage wants to roll and count thirty-eight six-siders when he casts disintegrate, more power to him. But I've made him aware that the whole point is to speed up combat, and every spell he has includes a note on how the dice work out.

He doesn't have Maximize Spell anyway, so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Remove ads