Dice roller ...

dcollins

Explorer
Feliks said:
I need a good die rolling program that can run in windoze and wont tax a p133 system. Free of course.

Based on what I've been working with recently, I figured it would be interesting to write something for this in assembly language. You can download this program and use it at the command prompt by typing "roll 3d6" or whatever you want.

I'm guessing it won't tax your P133 system too badly, since it's compatible to run on a 1979-era 8086 chip, and it's only 221 bytes in size. :)

www.superdan.net/download/roll.com

Feliks

First Post
Very cool. I am going to pull it down now and give it a roll.

:D

Uh, when I hit that link it just displays giberish on the screen. Like someone puked symbols on my screen

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
If you're not used to command-line programs...
(1) Right-click link > Save Target As > put it in C:
(2) Click Start > Run > type Command > Ok.
(3) You should see a C: prompt. Type "roll 3d6" and press Enter.

If you have other problems, I'd like to hear about them.

Armin D. Sykes

First Post
I've got a freeware dice roller available, that was written for old versions of Windows and therefore will not tax a low end machine.

You can find it at my gaming utilities page at http://www.misersoft.com/utilities/.

You should just download the Dice! v3.7 (VBRun version) archive, which you can then unzip into the folder of your choice, and run the EXE. (Yes, it's old enough that I never made a setup program to install it automatically, but at least it's simple).

This program seems to satisfy the requirements that have been posted here. (And you can use it as a calculator when you need one, as well, just by typing in the calculation.)

Edit: The doc file is available at http://www.misersoft.com/utilities/dice!.txt if you want to check it out. It's a really easy to use program: you type in the roll you want to make, and it'll roll it; regularly used rolls are saved in the drop-down list.

I hope this helps,

Armin

Last edited:

Wonko the Sane

First Post
Here's an excel spreadsheet I whipped up for rolling those "secret" checks.

It has tabs for plain old dice (it sucks...1 die at a time, but whatever. It's there for when I can't find that one stinking die I need), Skill checks (not just Listen and Spot, but all of the skills), ability checks, saving throws, and initiative (it rolls and sorts initiative, uses a macro).

All info for characters and monsters is entered in the blue cells, output in the green cells. The initiative function supports up to 20 combatants.

Attachments

• dice roller.xls
    75.5 KB · Views: 64

Wonko the Sane

First Post
I know replying to one's own post is bad form, but I can't change the file I attached in the previous post.

Here, then, is the improved version of my spreadsheet:

Attachments

• dice roller.xls
    74.5 KB · Views: 55

Alisanos

First Post
Here is my program

First, I would like to thank everyone who showed interest in my dice program. Secondly I would like to thank everyone that provided feedback and suggestions. I will be working to incorporate those suggestions shortly. In an effort to free up some time, I have attached the program to this post. It was taking up too much of my time to respond to everyone that asked for the program. As of now, I believe I have responded to everyone. If I missed anyone, please accept my apologies. If anyone else has any comments\suggestions, please feel free to either post it here or contact me via email. Thanks again.

welkinvoh@yahoo.com

Attachments

• Dice Roller.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Sephiroth

Explorer
Here is a small diceroller i've written in Java. Nothing fancy.
It can roll X number of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100, d1000 and d10000) and add or subtract a number (put a minus in front of it to subtract :) ).

As it's written in Java, you need a runtime environment to run it. You can get the latest from Sun here:

Sun Java Site

Cheers...

Attachments

• DiceRoller.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 66

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
DM's Familiar has a dice roller built into it. It's not free but it will run on a 133.

You can type in anything you like (14d7, 1d33+2) and it will roll it for you. It can also do multiple rolls at once, for example, a magic missle: "5 1d4+1". It shows the result of each dice and a total.

You can also input your PCs skills and then do secret dice rolls with just 2 clicks: Click the Roll button on the combat board, click Listen, and you get a Listen check for everyone secretly.

It comes with all the 3.0 and 3.5 SRD monsters as well so you can do secret rolls for your monsters.

And it can do common opposed rolls with 2 clicks as well: Right-click the roll button, click "Move Silent Vs. Listen" and you get a Move Silent check for every creature on the combat board (monsters and PCs) and a Listen check for all of them. Compare the columns and have your results.

DMF also does combat management, gives you a reference library of spells/feats/skills/monsters/rules/etc, and a text/tree program for outlining your notes.

Remove ads