Dice roller ...

Feliks

First Post
As to that excel thing, what would a guy do after pasting that code in? Keep in mind here that I have never opened excel before now.

CombatWombat51

First Post
What I'd love to see is a dice roller that you could download, and simply type in what you wanted rolled. 2d4+1, 3d6, whatever. Oh, and also that could display the individual die rolls if you wanted, so you could roll 4d6 at once, and manually drop the lowest one. What can I say, I'm picky =p

Hell, I'd be tickled pink if I could find BASIC and program the darn thing myself! :D

jgsugden

Legend
RigaMortus said:
Is that about right?
I always forget the exact text. I'm in one of those jobs where I work with Word more often than with Excel ...

Besides, although I have programs on my desktop, I usually ignore them and use the d20 that (sadly) is always in my pocket ... a good luck charm. If I need a d6, I roll it and treat 1-3 like 1, 4-6 like 2, ... 16-18 like 6 and reroll 19 and 20s. I always feel like a tech whore when I use a computer in the place of a round ball of plastic.

jgsugden

Legend
CombatWombat51 said:
What I'd love to see is a dice roller that you could download, and simply type in what you wanted rolled. 2d4+1, 3d6, whatever. Oh, and also that could display the individual die rolls if you wanted, so you could roll 4d6 at once, and manually drop the lowest one. What can I say, I'm picky =p

Hell, I'd be tickled pink if I could find BASIC and program the darn thing myself! :D
The WotC program I mentioned above will do everything you mentioned ... and it is basically nothing more than a web page and a few graphics ... if you cut the graphics, it is only 24K. With the graphics, it is only 60K.

Feliks

First Post
jgsugden said:
I always forget the exact text. I'm in one of those jobs where I work with Word more often than with Excel ...

Besides, although I have programs on my desktop, I usually ignore them and use the d20 that (sadly) is always in my pocket ... a good luck charm. If I need a d6, I roll it and treat 1-3 like 1, 4-6 like 2, ... 16-18 like 6 and reroll 19 and 20s. I always feel like a tech whore when I use a computer in the place of a round ball of plastic.

I just need to make rolls without the party seeing the GM roll dice and there by metagaming by taking a defensive posture everytime I do so. I tried the rolling random dice trick but that turned each game into a series of useless spot, search, sense element, detect magic, detect thoughts, listen, etc, etc ad nausea sessions.

CombatWombat51

First Post
jgsugden said:
The WotC program I mentioned above will do everything you mentioned ... and it is basically nothing more than a web page and a few graphics ... if you cut the graphics, it is only 24K. With the graphics, it is only 60K.

Hmm, see I don't want 12 fields, and clicking :( I just want to be able to type what I want. Unless that's what you were suggesting, but in that case I don't know how I could do that :confused:

DarkMaster

First Post
Feliks said:
I just need to make rolls without the party seeing the GM roll dice and there by metagaming by taking a defensive posture everytime I do so. I tried the rolling random dice trick but that turned each game into a series of useless spot, search, sense element, detect magic, detect thoughts, listen, etc, etc ad nausea sessions.
On my sheet I customize 20 entry for d20 so everytime I need a new roll I check the next result. I also roll real dice cause it feels more like D&D. It is faster but it is not the same.

jgsugden

Legend
CombatWombat51 said:
Hmm, see I don't want 12 fields, and clicking :( I just want to be able to type what I want. Unless that's what you were suggesting, but in that case I don't know how I could do that :confused:
If you have the dice rolling program from WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010427b), you can navigate it with tab and shift+tab without ever using a mouse.

As another option, roll up your results in advance nad keep them on a list. Then, whenever a die roll is needed, just look at th enext entry on the correct list. I do this to save time as well. I always preroll damage for breath weapons, damage spells, etc ... when making bad guys. I take extra efforts to make sure I don't use knowledge of what the resulting damage will be when deciding monster tactics, usually be specifying typical tactics for a beat before combat. I don't mind spending 5 extra minutes in planning to save 20 seconds of game time.

Alisanos

First Post
I have a dice roller for you

I wrote a dice roller in VB a while back. It has the following functionality:

1. Each dice is rolled individually and then added so that you get a bell curve with the results.

2. No need to do any typing.

3. Whenever you make a roll, a button is created with that roll's configuration. For example, if you roll 1d8, a button will appear that says 1d8. The next time you want to make a roll with 1d8, you just hit the button.

4. You can label the above buttons. If you have a +1 Longsword, you make a roll with 1d8+1. The button is created. Then you can change the label of the button to read "+1 Longsword".

5. You can view the result of each dice in a roll.

6. There is a function for automatically discarding a set number of hi or low rolls.

If you want this dice roller, email me at welkinvoh@yahoo.com.

If anybody wants to host this program, let me know. It would be easier than responding to everyone who may want it.

Last edited:

MJEggertson

First Post
I got an old html/javascript dice roller at http://3ep.rpgprofiler.net/dice.html. You should be able to save the page locally with most browsers if you want to use it offline. Not sure how old of a browser you have though, given the processor you're running...and the code is so old, I can't remember how backwards compatible it is.

I also like it cause it has a pseudo-command line for non-normal rolls.

Remove ads