• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice roller ...

Feliks

First Post
As to that excel thing, what would a guy do after pasting that code in? Keep in mind here that I have never opened excel before now.

CombatWombat51

First Post
What I'd love to see is a dice roller that you could download, and simply type in what you wanted rolled. 2d4+1, 3d6, whatever. Oh, and also that could display the individual die rolls if you wanted, so you could roll 4d6 at once, and manually drop the lowest one. What can I say, I'm picky =p

Hell, I'd be tickled pink if I could find BASIC and program the darn thing myself! :D

jgsugden

Legend
RigaMortus said:
Is that about right?
I always forget the exact text. I'm in one of those jobs where I work with Word more often than with Excel ...

Besides, although I have programs on my desktop, I usually ignore them and use the d20 that (sadly) is always in my pocket ... a good luck charm. If I need a d6, I roll it and treat 1-3 like 1, 4-6 like 2, ... 16-18 like 6 and reroll 19 and 20s. I always feel like a tech whore when I use a computer in the place of a round ball of plastic.

jgsugden

Legend
CombatWombat51 said:
What I'd love to see is a dice roller that you could download, and simply type in what you wanted rolled. 2d4+1, 3d6, whatever. Oh, and also that could display the individual die rolls if you wanted, so you could roll 4d6 at once, and manually drop the lowest one. What can I say, I'm picky =p

Hell, I'd be tickled pink if I could find BASIC and program the darn thing myself! :D
The WotC program I mentioned above will do everything you mentioned ... and it is basically nothing more than a web page and a few graphics ... if you cut the graphics, it is only 24K. With the graphics, it is only 60K.

Feliks

First Post
jgsugden said:
I always forget the exact text. I'm in one of those jobs where I work with Word more often than with Excel ...

Besides, although I have programs on my desktop, I usually ignore them and use the d20 that (sadly) is always in my pocket ... a good luck charm. If I need a d6, I roll it and treat 1-3 like 1, 4-6 like 2, ... 16-18 like 6 and reroll 19 and 20s. I always feel like a tech whore when I use a computer in the place of a round ball of plastic.

I just need to make rolls without the party seeing the GM roll dice and there by metagaming by taking a defensive posture everytime I do so. I tried the rolling random dice trick but that turned each game into a series of useless spot, search, sense element, detect magic, detect thoughts, listen, etc, etc ad nausea sessions.

CombatWombat51

First Post
jgsugden said:
The WotC program I mentioned above will do everything you mentioned ... and it is basically nothing more than a web page and a few graphics ... if you cut the graphics, it is only 24K. With the graphics, it is only 60K.

Hmm, see I don't want 12 fields, and clicking :( I just want to be able to type what I want. Unless that's what you were suggesting, but in that case I don't know how I could do that :confused:

DarkMaster

First Post
Feliks said:
I just need to make rolls without the party seeing the GM roll dice and there by metagaming by taking a defensive posture everytime I do so. I tried the rolling random dice trick but that turned each game into a series of useless spot, search, sense element, detect magic, detect thoughts, listen, etc, etc ad nausea sessions.
On my sheet I customize 20 entry for d20 so everytime I need a new roll I check the next result. I also roll real dice cause it feels more like D&D. It is faster but it is not the same.

jgsugden

Legend
CombatWombat51 said:
Hmm, see I don't want 12 fields, and clicking :( I just want to be able to type what I want. Unless that's what you were suggesting, but in that case I don't know how I could do that :confused:
If you have the dice rolling program from WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010427b), you can navigate it with tab and shift+tab without ever using a mouse.

As another option, roll up your results in advance nad keep them on a list. Then, whenever a die roll is needed, just look at th enext entry on the correct list. I do this to save time as well. I always preroll damage for breath weapons, damage spells, etc ... when making bad guys. I take extra efforts to make sure I don't use knowledge of what the resulting damage will be when deciding monster tactics, usually be specifying typical tactics for a beat before combat. I don't mind spending 5 extra minutes in planning to save 20 seconds of game time.

Alisanos

First Post
I have a dice roller for you

I wrote a dice roller in VB a while back. It has the following functionality:

1. Each dice is rolled individually and then added so that you get a bell curve with the results.

2. No need to do any typing.

3. Whenever you make a roll, a button is created with that roll's configuration. For example, if you roll 1d8, a button will appear that says 1d8. The next time you want to make a roll with 1d8, you just hit the button.

4. You can label the above buttons. If you have a +1 Longsword, you make a roll with 1d8+1. The button is created. Then you can change the label of the button to read "+1 Longsword".

5. You can view the result of each dice in a roll.

6. There is a function for automatically discarding a set number of hi or low rolls.

If you want this dice roller, email me at welkinvoh@yahoo.com.

If anybody wants to host this program, let me know. It would be easier than responding to everyone who may want it.

Last edited:

MJEggertson

First Post
I got an old html/javascript dice roller at http://3ep.rpgprofiler.net/dice.html. You should be able to save the page locally with most browsers if you want to use it offline. Not sure how old of a browser you have though, given the processor you're running...and the code is so old, I can't remember how backwards compatible it is.

I also like it cause it has a pseudo-command line for non-normal rolls.

Remove ads