• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Rolling Techniques?

Breakstone

First Post
So, the other day I was playing a mutant chameleon in Omega World, and I was using a black d20 with red numbers. I call this my "Evil d20" (emphasis on eeeeeeeevil).

Anyway, I realized that Evil d20 usually rolled highest when I hit it off another object. But it had to be a different object each time.

Now, I'm not much of a superstitious lad, but this was an eeeeeeeeevil d20.

Back on topic, does anyone have any game-winning dice rolling techniques that they use in game?

Crothian

First Post
For character creation I don't roll all the d6's at once. I roll them one at a time. The last character I did this with had 4 17's using the roll 4 take the best 3 method.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
I have a player who has one of those uberhuge 20siders. he ALWAYS turns it over so that the one is on top. taps it once and rolls it. Swears he gets better rolls.

Me i just roll the dice and if it lands cockeyed or on a minature i roll it again regardless of it's a 20 or a 2...

EOL

First Post
I line up all my D20's with the 20's on top (I'm trying to train them :) ) Then I take from the right if the die rolls 15 or above it goes back on the right if not it goes to the back of the line (the left). I can't say I've noticed any improvement in my average roll, but eventually the dice will get scared, oh yes they will fear me....

Last edited:

Bass Puppet

First Post
I have a Gem Green d20 (with white numbers) that I have had for over 17 years and I swear my players sweat when I roll it. I keep in on my over sized leather dice bag (seperate from the other dice). I only use it for attacking and I roll it infront of the players. It is infamous for landing on the 20 when attacking characters who are close to death. I lost the dice for 2 1/2 years and when I found it....it was at the bottom of a box with the 20 side up. :eek:

For how old it is, it still looks great:D

reapersaurus

Explorer
since we're talking superstitions and luck here, there is one consistent thing about me and dice:

If I have a firm understanding of what I want the roll to be BEFORE I roll, I tend to roll well.
If I don't know what I am supposed to roll, or just throw the die without focusing, it invariably is a sucky roll.

DerianCypher

First Post
Well,
the I keep them with the 20 facing up when not being rolled. If they misbehave severely (IE. nearly getting my PC killed) they are punished. This punishment may range from spending time with "the example" or becoming "the example" themselves.

"The Example" is a d20 that has been charred to a crisp with a butane torch and then ground into a fine dust.

DC

SonOfLilith

First Post
My DM has a die nicknamed 'Bluey'. This thing is deadly. In half an hour, my poor character got 2 20/20's. (we play that if that happens, a body part gets jucked up, and you loose ablility points.)

However, my barb's a story all of its own. I useually don't roll exceptional with him, unless death is staring him in the face, then I pull the most incredable rolls out of nowhere!

Remove ads