D&D General Dice Tray with spots for die types/size?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have a newbie player in one of my campaigns who consistently has a hard time choosing the right dice. Grabs the d12 for the d20. Takes a long time to identify the d10 vs. the d8, stuff like that. I am purchasing gifts for my players and would love to get him some kind of dice tray and/or storage thing that has labeled spots (or spots that could be labelled) for the different types of dice - even if it were only one set at a time (heck, that might be preferable). So literally, something that has grooves for d4, d6, d8, d10 (maybe two for percentile dice), d12, d20.

I thought I had seen such a product before - but my googling this morning has turned up nothing. I have found some dice storage/trays that have pockets for different sets - but that is not quite what I am looking for. I would really love to get him something that clearly singles out each type of die.

Anyone ever seen something like this or know of a solution that is gift-worthy?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Slightly off topic: Have you tried a dice set that uses a bright primary colour for each different die type, so they could identify them quickly by colour?

I backed a kickstarter that made sets like that - with nice big clean numbers for high visibility - and it's been a great help, especially with new players.

Ooooh! That could be a fine solution and would make a fine gift. I will look for some unless you have a specific link to share?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
How about one of those weekly containers for pills, with a separate slot for each day of the week? There are seven days of the week and seven types of dice in a typical set. For extra clarity, you could put stickers on the lid of each compartment with the name of the dice type it contains.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
How about one of those weekly containers for pills, with a separate slot for each day of the week? There are seven days of the week and seven types of dice in a typical set. For extra clarity, you could put stickers on the lid of each compartment with the name of the dice type it contains.

That is definitely a solution to keep in mind, but not sure it is gift worthy - I'd love something nice looking and made of wood or leather.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
That is definitely a solution to keep in mind, but not sure it is gift worthy - I'd love something nice looking and made of wood or leather.
I did a quick search for wooden and leather pill organizers. The main thing is to be sure the compartments are big enough for one or more dice, as the plastic ones do tend to have larger bins. Here are some possibilities:

Round wooden one on Amazon

Fancier versions of this basic idea with decorated top, on Etsy

Fancy case in multiple colors with 14 inner compartments, on Etsy

Laudanum themed box with room for lots of dice on Etsy (On second look, that one's probably too shallow)

Sliding container in a variety of colors, on Amazon

Jewelry boxes are another possibility, especially those meant to hold rings.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could also talk to one of the makers on Etsy about creating a custom item.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
el-remmen

This is their site. Dice of Rolling

The current ones they offer have a marble finish, instead of the solid colours of the kickstarter, but they are still nicely differentiated by colour.

Actually, now that I think about - I can probably just gift him a set of dice of different colors for each type from my dice giveaway box - and then I can just concentrate on getting a nice portable dice tray for rolling.

aco175

Legend
Not sure if you can still buy it, but this is what you need. Kickstarter on player kit.

1625763785510.png
1625763797665.png

1625763839168.png
1625763855105.png

Remove ads