• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did Anybody Ever Play "Space Opera?"

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Sepulchrave II said:
I expect the answer to be 'no,' and this thread to die a quick death, but I'm curious. How does it measure up to Classic Traveller?

Wasn't Space Opera an FGU game? I never played it, but I played quite a few other FGU games. Based on the other FGU games, I can only imagine how convoluted and confusing the rules must have been. Regardless, I did love me some V&V. My first role-playing game! Good times.

Grymar

Explorer
Yes, but only the DM knew the game. He kept our sheets and when we went to do something he would call for a series of rolls unlike any I had ever seen, mumbling all of the while "ok, location, vs armor type, vs armor damage reduction, dodge chance..."

I never saw the complete rules, but we called it quits soon after.

kenobi65

First Post
Came close to playing it, in college. We got so far as to create characters, but never actually played a game.

My memory (quite possibly faulty) is that character creation was fairly complex (it reminded me a little bit of Champions, but that, too, may be faulty).

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Around the time of Space Opera, I remember drooling over a game called Star Patrol by Gamescience. It seemed to offer everything I ever wanted in a Sci-Fi game. Sadly, as a child at the time, I could not afford the giant boxed set. Does anyone remember this game? Please tell me it sucked, because I've always felt like I missed something special.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Ebon Shar said:
Around the time of Space Opera, I remember drooling over a game called Star Patrol by Gamescience. It seemed to offer everything I ever wanted in a Sci-Fi game. Sadly, as a child at the time, I could not afford the giant boxed set. Does anyone remember this game? Please tell me it sucked, because I've always felt like I missed something special.

It was horrible, according to S John Ross. . . though horrible in a very special (and amusing) kind of way.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I vaguely remember it from, oh, 1984. We played it for a short while, but at that time we played everything for a short while. Serious ADD.

Glyfair

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
Came close to playing it, in college. We got so far as to create characters, but never actually played a game.

My memory (quite possibly faulty) is that character creation was fairly complex (it reminded me a little bit of Champions, but that, too, may be faulty).
Same here. I remember we spent a full gaming session creating characters and never ended up playing after that marathon. Only other game I did that with was Chivalry & Sorcery (one of the very early versions).

We actually did play this for a few game sessions. Yes, it was a typical FGU overly complex game, and unashamedly derivative of every science fiction trope and cliche that existed at the time. But it had some fun bits and pieces.

The way we played it, however, was our undoing. We deliberately made the most overpowered characters we could, and wondered why the GM stopped the game after the third session. Hmmm...
(of course, we were in high school at the time, so didn't know better)

I still have the boxed set and some of the supplements somewhere.

Remove ads