• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Did the DMG2 give back Spell Research to 4E?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Ritual with world shattering components are not known to most, have rare components and need a lot of time to master. Its easy to add in other requirements...

I think he was referencing the ability of a seemingly innocent and innocuous ritual.
Example: combine the Animal Messenger and Comprehend Languages rituals. Suddenly, towns can always communicate with each other, clearly and accurately, within reasonable distances (about 12 hours travel time). Consider the impact this will have upon diplomacy, commerce, land rights, legal actions, and probably a few areas I've forgotten about.
Example: How does the existences of the Eye of Alarm ritual affect theft and burglary in a city? Presumably, a company that provided such spells as a regular service would be in high demand, especially the permanent variety.
Small, innocent rituals that can have dramatic, world altering, effects upon a setting when you begin applying them across the board.

Not that you ever have to apply them across the world. It's your world, most of it does what you want it to do, and sometimes what you want it to do doesn't make much sense.

Good luck.

I think he was referencing the ability of a seemingly innocent and innocuous ritual.
Example: combine the Animal Messenger and Comprehend Languages rituals. Suddenly, towns can always communicate with each other, clearly and accurately, within reasonable distances (about 12 hours travel time). Consider the impact this will have upon diplomacy, commerce, land rights, legal actions, and probably a few areas I've forgotten about.
Example: How does the existences of the Eye of Alarm ritual affect theft and burglary in a city? Presumably, a company that provided such spells as a regular service would be in high demand, especially the permanent variety.
Small, innocent rituals that can have dramatic, world altering, effects upon a setting when you begin applying them across the board.

Not that you ever have to apply them across the world. It's your world, most of it does what you want it to do, and sometimes what you want it to do doesn't make much sense.

Good luck.

Yeah, even the fairly minor rituals in a lot of cases are rather world changing if you start thinking about it. Not that a lot of them would necessarily have a huge impact on things, but it doesn't take much. In the grand scheme of things I think experts in even low level ritual casting would be more significant to society than high level spellcasters. In any case its a bit OT.

Ryan_Singer

First Post
Yeah, even the fairly minor rituals in a lot of cases are rather world changing if you start thinking about it. Not that a lot of them would necessarily have a huge impact on things, but it doesn't take much. In the grand scheme of things I think experts in even low level ritual casting would be more significant to society than high level spellcasters. In any case its a bit OT.
This is pretty much the point of the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Remove ads