Did we ever resolve the vorpal weapon creator level?

Altalazar

First Post
In all the games I've been in (including my own) the caster level is infinite.

Anything that is insta-kill with no save, no amount of hit points, no skill whatsoever that can save you is just cheesy and doesn't fit within the philosophy and design of the system, IMNSHO.

In a 2E spelljammer game, that is what the final combat came down to - most of the party was down or out of spells, and our main fighter was going one on one against the final badguy, the culmination of the entire campaign of many many many sessions.

He had a vorpal blade, and so did the bad guy. The bad guy had stoneskin and there was an enemy mage who kept renewing it. My character was a wild elf wild mage who was doing the same for our fighter - I kept doing stoneskin until I ran out, then I did whatever other protection I could til it ran out, and also healed him (multiclassed as a cleric). In the end, it finally came down (after all spells were exhausted) to whomever could roll a critical first. Luckily, our fighter did and we won the day. But ever since then, no vorpals. It just isn't fun to automatically win or lose a fight on the basis of a single die roll, a die roll that is the same no matter what other factors are involved.

Remove ads