• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did you know about D&D's reputation before buying?

Did you know about D&Ds reputation before buying?

• Yes

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 73 58.4%

Taloras

First Post
Hmmm....i just started playing back in February, so yes, i knew of its reputation, and i ignored it. However, i do keep getting asked if D&D relates at all to my religion, Wicca, which i simply tell them no to. I have had several ppl -claim- to be experts on it, and lecture me on it. Yet none of them have a clue what the game is about. so yes, i knew about the reputation, knew it was false, and played anyway.

GhostTiger

First Post
I started in '79, but I had no idea. One day a gaming buddy's dad was giving me a ride home after an all weekender and he asked me a few questions about kids going nuts and suicides. It confused the hell out of me, but I said it sounded like they already had problems before they ever started playing. He seemed satisfied with that. In retrospect it was cool, he was a dad just watching out for his kid; and most importantly, he talked to us.

Agamon

Adventurer
I started before there as a reputation. When there was a reputation, my mom trusted me. Plus, I think she didn't figure my friends and I were getting into trouble making all that goofy racket downstairs when we played...

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I didn't know anything about D&D's reputation when I first got into it. Hell I didn't know what D&D was when I first got it. My first experience with D&D was when a friend gave me a stolen copy of the Expert (Blue Box) D&D game. This was his idea of a christmas present. Back in '87. I quickly realized it didn't do me alot of good and had my parents get me the Basic (Red Box) for Christmas. They didn't know what D&D was either, but they had heard bad things about it. However since they trusted my judgement they bought it for me.

Falcon

First Post
I first bought D&D in 1975, when I was 12. Didn't know of any reputation then, missed the whole bru-ha-ha whilst living in Europe for eight years, and now, playing 3E at 38, quite frankly, I don't care what the reputation is. My colleagues and I have fun, and that is what matters.

Corey II

First Post
Hmm... I can remember copying character sheets with carbon paper while listening to E.L.O. (Ouch.)

I got into the game in 1974. That means I was six. I still have the three little 30-odd page booklets.

That puts me in the it had no reputation and gosh I'm getting older category.

Corey

Neowolf

First Post
I first got interested in the game by reading my mom's old 1E AD&D books (I'm 18 now, as a reference), and didn't know anything about the reputation at the time. I just knew that I recognized words like "dwarf" and "elf" from those great bedtime stories (Tolkien) my mother read to me. It wasn't until I told an aunt about my new-found hobby that I found out that anything bad had ever been connected to the game.

Remove ads